thebearissquare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I haven't heard much about Brunel and was wondering what the engineering degrees are like. Would it be better to resit some A level exams and apply somewhere else next year?
DeleAlli14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yoo, I also applied for a foundation course in engineering at Brunel this year starting sept,

From recent researching and visiting, Brunel is actually known as an engineering university, with the founder being an engineer himself (I think he was a railway engineer?). Anyway the courses seem to be alright as they have sandwich years which not a great deal of unis provide, and they do 'thick sandwich years' which i think are 2 placements in one year that are like 3-4 months long, which i think or more than likely going to be in central London which is pretty neat, as some unis struggle to provide these placements and some dont even bother, so this experience is invaluable. Also if you don't like the uni you can always move unis after the first year provided you pass with a reasonable grade to somewhere you may prefer or if you finish the course you can do you MEng year somewhere else

From talking to other people and advisers at my college, they said its better to get into Uni this year rather than retake, because retaking is not 100% guaranteed to get the grades i need to get into unis, where as if i did my foundation year (which is pretty much like retaking the relevant maths, physics electronics etc) i can move onto whichever engineering i like 100% guaranteed at the uni.

hope this helps mate and goodluck with whatever you wanna do
thebearissquare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by DeleAlli14)
Yoo, I also applied for a foundation course in engineering at Brunel this year starting sept,

From recent researching and visiting, Brunel is actually known as an engineering university, with the founder being an engineer himself (I think he was a railway engineer?). Anyway the courses seem to be alright as they have sandwich years which not a great deal of unis provide, and they do 'thick sandwich years' which i think are 2 placements in one year that are like 3-4 months long, which i think or more than likely going to be in central London which is pretty neat, as some unis struggle to provide these placements and some dont even bother, so this experience is invaluable. Also if you don't like the uni you can always move unis after the first year provided you pass with a reasonable grade to somewhere you may prefer or if you finish the course you can do you MEng year somewhere else

From talking to other people and advisers at my college, they said its better to get into Uni this year rather than retake, because retaking is not 100% guaranteed to get the grades i need to get into unis, where as if i did my foundation year (which is pretty much like retaking the relevant maths, physics electronics etc) i can move onto whichever engineering i like 100% guaranteed at the uni.

hope this helps mate and goodluck with whatever you wanna do
Thanks for replying I have actually decided to go back to college my teachers and friends think it is the best option as I crammed A level physics, maths and further maths into one year stupidly and didn't do that bad. If I did another year at college I could definitely improve my grades and go somewhere I have researched and visited properly.
DeleAlli14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thebearissquare)
Thanks for replying I have actually decided to go back to college my teachers and friends think it is the best option as I crammed A level physics, maths and further maths into one year stupidly and didn't do that bad. If I did another year at college I could definitely improve my grades and go somewhere I have researched and visited properly.
alright mate good luck with whatever you do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (402)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.62%

Watched Threads