PanickingALot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have always wanted to be a veterinary surgeon since a child. As I got older, I started panicking that I would not be able to actually do the surgery, and lately I have realised that doing the surgery would make being a veterinary surgeon a chore, not an enjoyable job.
I have tried looking at different courses, and narrowed them down until I found veterinary physiotherapy, which sounds amazing to me.

However, I am confused at what grades I need to get, and also what the entry requirements are.

I have been researching like mad, and found that Harper Adams University does a course, requiring ABB and 4 weeks work experience with dogs and horses.

The work experience is already done, and the grades I won't find out until next year, obviously. But Harper Adams University is quite far from my home, plus I don't think it's UCAS.

I was wondering whether anybody knows any other ways of becoming a veterinary physiotherapist, preferably in a UCAS university.

Before anyone moans about me being lazy for not doing it myself, I am willing to do research myself, proven by the fact I have already done research. But I am the first in my family to be willing to try academically, that is to say, I am the first in my family to actually try to go to University. This means that not only am I alone, because nobody in my family can help me as they don't know what to do, but that there is extra pressure because they're all relying on me to go to a reputable university (UCAS, quite frankly).

Telling them I would rather be a veterinary physiotherapist than a veterinary surgeon was enough disappointment from them, I'd rather not be any more of a disappointment.

Thank you all in advance,

PanickingALot
beth16x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello,

Harper Adams is the only university (as far as I'm aware) that offers Veterinary Physiotherapy and you apply through UCAS. The entry requirements are ABB, with an A in Biology and one of the Bs needs to be in another science based subject. The only other institutions offering Veterinary Physiotherapy are Warwickshire College and Writtle College and you apply through UCAS for these courses too. Have a look at this link, http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...=&SubjectCode=
As far as I'm aware, these are the only courses which you need to apply to through UCAS, but have a look at this website... http://www.tcap.co.uk/courses/. A Veterinary Physiotherapist is a very respectable career and are very important in treatment and rehabilitation of a patient - have you considered Vet Nursing?

Hope this helps!
username1932343
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i want to be a Vet Physio too! From what I've researched i found a few key important things.

To be a 'chartered' physiotherapist, which is being recognised by ACPAT, not just NAVP, they would want you to go through a certain process to become a member, for example, completing a degree in Human Physiotherapy then participating in a post graduate degree/diploma which is approved by them, either at Liverpool or Hartpury i think. They are currently fighting to protect the title of 'Veterinary/animal physiotherapist' as although 'physiotherapist' is protected, veterinary isn't and they want to make sure every vet physio has had correct and proper training.

Aside from that, the above mentioned university/colleges offer veterinary physiotherapy courses from Undergraduate level and also post graduate training. So you could do a related degree in Vet Nursing, Animal behaviour, Equine or human Therapy to then just do post grad training in Vet Physio.

Its rather annoying that there its a direct route that allows you to take a degree and become fully chartered and covered by all associations, and this is something which is making it difficult to decide how to go about it and get the best result from it.

At the minute, I'm wanting to apply for both Human and Vet Physio courses at Liverpool and East Anglia, then Warwickshire and writtle.
Let me know if you find out anything else! sorry for the bombardment of information!
Trouble234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Be careful when you apply, as has been said vet physio isn't yet an approved course. I'm off to study human physio this year and then may possibly take the further course in order to become ACPAT registered. If your worried about grades, the entry requirements for physio are fairly similar to that of vet physio and you have the added bonus of having the human side to fall back on if the animal side issnt working or you become injured
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads