JazzB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not sure if this is posted on the right board - apologies if this is the wrong one.

So, as you all know, today was results day and I was pretty happy with what I got. B in English Literature, B in English Language, D in Psychology and C History. The last two have left me a little conflicted, however. I've wanted pretty much since last October to drop History. It proved itself to be a source of massive stress to me and I dreaded the classes. However, I am willing to acknowledge that this was partially due to one of my two teachers, who has just a general horrible person and she has now retired, so will not be my teacher if I continue next year.

As you can see, I did a lot better than I expected to - better than in Psychology, which is a shock to me, trust me. The ideal outcome following Sixth Form is to go to Strathclyde University to study English & Journalism & Creative Writing, for which the entry requirements are ABB. I was just wondering what you guys think - is it possible to pull a middle-grade D from psychology up to a B within a year? Or am I better off gritting my teeth and baring history lessons just to get the grade?

Thank you
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JazzB)
I'm not sure if this is posted on the right board - apologies if this is the wrong one.

So, as you all know, today was results day and I was pretty happy with what I got. B in English Literature, B in English Language, D in Psychology and C History. The last two have left me a little conflicted, however. I've wanted pretty much since last October to drop History. It proved itself to be a source of massive stress to me and I dreaded the classes. However, I am willing to acknowledge that this was partially due to one of my two teachers, who has just a general horrible person and she has now retired, so will not be my teacher if I continue next year.

As you can see, I did a lot better than I expected to - better than in Psychology, which is a shock to me, trust me. The ideal outcome following Sixth Form is to go to Strathclyde University to study English & Journalism & Creative Writing, for which the entry requirements are ABB. I was just wondering what you guys think - is it possible to pull a middle-grade D from psychology up to a B within a year? Or am I better off gritting my teeth and baring history lessons just to get the grade?

Thank you
Firstly, well done- AS is a tough year and you have some decent grades. There is no definitive answer to the question you are asking; all I can do is offer some advice based on personal experience and the experience of others. Today, I achieved an A* in A2 RS, a subject I did not study at GCSE and only narrowly achieved a B in at AS. This has proven to me that anything can be achieved if you set your mind to it. If you're seriously determined and prepared to put the work in- the prospect of getting into your chosen university is incentive enough- then you will be able to achieve anything, including a B in Psychology at A2! It seems to me that, if you really detest History, you should pick Psychology as you are always more likely to do better in a subject you enjoy. A girl at my school achieved an E in Chemistry at AS. With a lot of hard work, dedication (and resits!) she achieved a B in Chemistry at A2. This surely implies that you will be fine. Take some time out to think about it, but a lot of hard work and one or two resits and you will find yourself with AAB, attending your chosen university in the Autumn of 2016. Best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads