(B121) Medical Therapeutics and Physiology Student Introductions Watch

username2065071
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey all,

I've been accepted for the course as of today, (over the moon!) and I just wanted to organize a little thread so that we can get to know each other a little bit before we head off to Nottingham!

I understand it's a fairly small course, and with us all being based at the Derby satellite campus I figure getting some discussion going can only be a good thing!

I'm Daniel and I come from a large seaside town called Southend-on-Sea, close to London. I'm really looking forward to a great three years with everyone
yecats87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Daniel. Im stacey. I live in Derby and have been offered a place on the Med physiology and theraputics too
eb156
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi I'm Emma i now have an unconditional offer for this course!
eb156
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd prefer to stay at the university ark campus than derby but i don't know if there will be anyone else doing this course there and also will there be a bus from the main campus to derby and will that cost?
Any Advice please!!
username2065071
Rep:
?
(Original post by eb156)
I'd prefer to stay at the university ark campus than derby but i don't know if there will be anyone else doing this course there and also will there be a bus from the main campus to derby and will that cost?
Any Advice please!!
From what i gathered at the open day, I'd say that the general consensus is to pick accommodation in Nottingham because Derby is pretty much dead in terms of social and nightlife. Personally, I'm staying in Broadgate Park.

The university offers a free hopper bus from the main campus to the Derby satellite campus at fixed times during the day, which should allow for easy transport (providing you don't wake up late and miss the bus!)

It is my belief that most students will base at Nottingham and use the hopper bus to travel between the sites, (unless they're lucky enough to have a car) so there's no need to worry!
MptStuSa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have an offer for thus course.
I was also wondering if many of the student will prefer to stay in nottingham or derby. I have a friend who is studying in derby university.
I am wondering if anyone know about post grad for this course and career prospects.

Thanks all.
username2065071
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smusah12)
I have an offer for thus course.
I was also wondering if many of the student will prefer to stay in nottingham or derby. I have a friend who is studying in derby university.
I am wondering if anyone know about post grad for this course and career prospects.

Thanks all.
The general gist on the open day is that the majority of students would prefer to stay in Nottingham as that is where everybody else is, so therefore all of the major social events and attractions are geared towards the main crowd.

In terms of career prospects, my knowledge is somewhat limited. Personally, i plan to complete this course and then go on to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine. (GEM) I'm sure there are many other prospects including involvement in clinical trial management.

As a side note, the book Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre was a read i very much enjoyed last month, during my reading into clinical trials.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by paule568)
The general gist on the open day is that the majority of students would prefer to stay in Nottingham as that is where everybody else is, so therefore all of the major social events and attractions are geared towards the main crowd.

In terms of career prospects, my knowledge is somewhat limited. Personally, i plan to complete this course and then go on to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine. (GEM) I'm sure there are many other prospects including involvement in clinical trial management.

As a side note, the book Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre was a read i very much enjoyed last month, during my reading into clinical trials.
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Plus where can I get that book from??
Are you in your starting first, second or third? If so, are there much PhD degrees stemming from this course?
username2065071
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smusah12)
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. Plus where can I get that book from??
Are you in your starting first, second or third? If so, are there much PhD degrees stemming from this course?
I got the book at Waterstones, but most bookshops would probably sell it in the popular science section.

I'm joining the course in the first year, As for PhD progression, you'd have to ask elsewhere or look over the prospectus.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got the book at Waterstones, but most bookshops would probably sell it in the popular science section.

I'm joining the course in the first year, As for PhD progression, you'd have to ask elsewhere or look over the prospectus.
Thank you. Me too.
Will you be living I'm derby or Nottingham? If you don't mind me asking.

I will wait and see. I may go post grad medicine depending on how well I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
-bethan-
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! My name is Bethan and I am also going to be on this course! :awesome: I will be staying in Cripps Hall on University Park campus, and am also hoping to go on to do GEM afterwards! I can't wait to meet you all, though starting to get a bit nervous!
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey
Mine is Safi.
I declined my offer form UCLan to study physiology and pharmacology for Nottingham. I haven't started with accommodation yet. But I may get private or live in Broadgate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2065071
Rep:
?
I'm staying in Broadgate Park, I was very impressed when I looked around last summer. from what i can tell it has everything you could possibly need.
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm staying in Broadgate Park, I was very impressed when I looked around last summer. from what i can tell it has everything you could possibly need.
Really? Then I guess I'll be going to Broadgate Park. I wish I could get a private accommodation near Broadgate Park so I don't have to move out after my 1st year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RBrookes
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone! My name's Rosie, I'm from Cambridge and I'll be studying Medical Physiology with you guys. I'm hoping to live somewhere catered on University Park - still waiting to hear back from them since I applied through Clearing, and I want to go on to do the GEM afterwards I'm very excited to meet you all, most likely on the Hopper Bus to Derby :')
MptStuSa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RBrookes)
Hi everyone! My name's Rosie, I'm from Cambridge and I'll be studying Medical Physiology with you guys. I'm hoping to live somewhere catered on University Park - still waiting to hear back from them since I applied through Clearing, and I want to go on to do the GEM afterwards I'm very excited to meet you all, most likely on the Hopper Bus to Derby :')
Hi
I'll be in Raleigh Park. Maybe we will meet, who knows lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asrivastava96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone!

I'm Aksh and I'm coming all the way from the Middle East. I'm really looking forward to joining you guys!

I have a lot of friends going to study in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham and London and they're all very good friends of mine. How easy (or hard) is it to travel to these places? My friend was telling me about this app called Citymapper- I believe London, Birmingham and Manchester are on it but Nottingham isnt. Is there a substitute for this app that includes Nottingham?
Also, how far is the nearest Tesco? Last time I came to London, I basically lived off Tesco and depend on it for my survival haha
Righteous Lie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What's up people, I'm Azeem and I should be joining you guys in September. I live 5 minutes away from the hospital so shall be commuting. We should get a WhatsApp/Facebook group chat started or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2065071
Rep:
?
That's an excellent idea! I'll see what I can do with regards to setting that up.
Righteous Lie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Jun '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed