Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B847 - Residing Bill 2015 (Second Reading), The Hon. Nigel Farage MEP MP
A

B I L L

TO

Out law squatting in the United Kingdom, and impose tighter restrictions on travellers.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definition

1) Squatter or squatting refers to a person who resides, or is in the process of residing in a commercial or residential property, or any of their accompanying buildings without the owner's permission.
2) Accompanying buildings refers to buildings in the same vicinity of the original building. The following list is not definite: a garden shed, a permanent sealed shelter, a barn, and an out-house.
3) A traveller or travelling refers to a person who resides, or is the process of residing on public or private land without the permission of the landowner.
4) A residential building is a building used to house a person.
5) A commercial building is any building used in the operation of a good or service, or any publicly owned building.
6) A homeless person is a person who does not have a permanent, temporary, or portable structure or vehicle to reside in.

2: Squatting

1) Squatting in residential buildings will be illegal.
2) Squatting in commercial buildings will be illegal.
3) Squatting in publicly owned buildings will be illegal unless;
i) the building has been abandoned for more than 12 months and there are no redevelopment plans in discussion or being planned.
4) For all previous clauses, existing squatter in a building before the implementation of this law must leave the building within 3 hours if asked to do so by the property owner, or a representative of the property owner.
i) Squatters refusing to leave will be arrested and forcefully removed by the police.

3: Travelling

1) Travelling on all privately owned land will be illegal.
2) Travelling on all publicly owned land will be illegal.
3) Travellers may not reside outside of dedicated travelling sites drawn up by local authorities.
4) It is not compulsory for a local authority to designate a travelling zone.
5) All existing travellers on privately owned or publicly owned land must leave when asked to do so within 12 hours of being asked to leave by the land owner.
i) Travellers refusing to leave will be arrested and forcefully removed by the police.
6) Homeless people will be exempt.

4: Creation of Traveller Site

1)Travellers may create their own site by purchasing or renting land, and;
2) Going through the standard process to apply for planning permission
2) Only building or residing on land they own when planning permission for a temporary or permanent, or portable building, or vehicle, or caravan has been given.
i) Permission will not be needed if the land has a vehicle or caravan parked on it for under 24 hours, and the number of vehicles or caravans does not exceed three.
3) People may park caravans and vehicles in an unlimited number by their residential properties, or commercial properties that have been built with planning permission, if;
i) The caravans and vehicles must not cause an obstruction to anyone else.
ii) The caravans and vehicles remain on the land owned by the person, or the land rented by the person.

5: Penalties

1) Squatters may face up to a 12 months jail sentence, or a fine not exceeding £10000, or both.
2) Travellers may face up to a 12 month jail sentence, or a fine not exceeding £10,000, or both.

6: Short Title, and Extent

1) This bill applies to the whole of the United Kingdom.
2) This bill may be cited as the Residing Bill 2015.

Changes

- Addition of a clause to remove homeless people.
- Consistency improvements with fines and wording.
- Definitions improved.
- Section allowing for new traveller sites to be set up.

How will it be enforced?

At the moment local authorities must take civil action through the courts to get an eviction order to clear travellers from a site, but the travellers may appeal this order leading to legal battles a decade long, costing the taxpayer millions. Evicting squatters is easier but the property owner must still go through a costly legal process before having getting an eviction order. This bill allows the police to forcefully remove travellers and squatters as soon as they are notified by the property or land owner, reducing eviction time from years to hours.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. If a building is left unused for a long period of time, I personally can't see why people shouldn't be able to put it to use by living there.

Also, I agree in principle with the bit about travellers, but it should be compulsory for a local authority to establish a set number of travelling sites proportional to its size and amount of space. As it stands, this bill would effectively make it illegal in some areas for certain ethnic groups which have been in this country for a long time to practice their traditional semi-nomadic lifestyle, which can't be allowed to happen in a tolerant western country like Britain.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm still unsold on this measure, it's likely to be an abstention, but I'll have a think.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This would be an improvement had the homeless exemption been put into section 2, and not section 3 where it doesn't really fit - you can't not have a temporary abode and be living on a travelling site, can you?
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you class as a temporary structure? Could you say a box is a temporary structure?
Junaidk7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agree with the section on Travellers, but also feel homeless should be exempt from Section 2 rather then 3.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. The exemptions for public land should also apply to private land, and it is also better that a few people lose some property value than we have people sleeping on the streets.

I'd have to do more research but I'm also concerned that this does away with the acquiring of interests in land by prescription.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This has gone to third reading.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads