The Student Room Group

oxford university class lists

Is there a such thing as official class lists published by the university - like there is in Cambridge? Is it only accessible to Oxford students- or not even them -only the academics and staff at that work there?

Edit: Class List is a public list of names of everybody in the university by subject - from prelims to fourth year with information of degree class
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arcane1729
Is there a such thing as official class lists published by the university - like there is in Cambridge? Is it only accessible to Oxford students- or not even them -only the academics and staff at that work there?

Edit: Class List is a public list of names of everybody in the university by subject - from prelims to fourth year with information of degree class

As far as I am aware class lists are still published inside the Examination Schools and in the Calendar (however omitting some names for no good reason at all-these are public examinations)

Unfortunately publication in the Times ceased some years ago.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
As far as I am aware class lists are still published inside the Examination Schools and in the Calendar (however omitting some names for no good reason at all-these are public examinations)

Unfortunately publication in the Times ceased some years ago.

Hi , thanks for the reply but could you please tell me what is meant by Calendar and public -every exam sat by students is public right?
And by published INSIDE the examination school- you mean there is a big piece of paper with a list of names inside the building?

Edit: oops I've realised they call it preliminary and first public examination for a reason :tongue: .
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi , thanks for the reply but could you please tell me what is meant by Calendar and public -every exam sat by students is public right?
And by published INSIDE the examination school- you mean there is a big piece of paper with a list of names inside the building?

Edit: oops I've realised they call it preliminary and first public examination for a reason :tongue: .

This is the Calendar

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780198715368.do

Its been about 4 years since I was in the Exam Schools but they were still putting up a list of names inside the building then.

Each list covers one examination for one subject arranged in order of classes.

I am afraid I have something of a war with those, including the Information Commissioner and seemingly most universities, who regard examination results as somehow a private matter between the institution and the examinee. GCSE, A level and in the case of Oxford degree examinations are public examinations. A degree is a public status. The Information Commissioner had no right to turn that which is public into something private.
Reply 4
This is the Calendar

Its been about 4 years since I was in the Exam Schools but they were still putting up a list of names inside the building then.

I am afraid I have something of a war with those, including the Information Commissioner and seemingly most universities, who regard examination results as somehow a private matter between the institution and the examinee. GCSE, A level and in the case of Oxford degree examinations are public examinations. A degree is a public status. The Information Commissioner had no right to turn that which is public into something private.

Jeez, 50 quid for that...

Why are they called public examinations if they are not really that public?
Reply 5
I realise it is some time since this thread was last active but no one had answered your question: why are the examinations called "Public". Answer: because in the old old days, any senior member of the University (that's an MA to you) could turn up and ask you anything he (or, but not so much in those days, she) wanted. And you answered or failed. Luckily, by the time my parents were undergraduates in the late 30s and early 40s, the Examination Schools had migrated from the old building to the High Street, and the custom of admitting random MAs had died out. So they and I (and indeed my daughter) were troubled only by the ingenuity of the official examiners and their tortuous questions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DutchMM
I realise it is some time since this thread was last active but no one had answered your question: why are the examinations called "Public". Answer: because in the old old days, any senior member of the University (that's an MA to you) could turn up and ask you anything he (or, but not so much in those days, she) wanted. And you answered or failed. Luckily, by the time my parents were undergraduates in the late 30s and early 40s, the Examination Schools had migrated from the old building to the High Street, and the custom of admitting random MAs had died out. So they and I (and indeed my daughter) were troubled only by the ingenuity of the official examiners and their tortuous questions.

This is not correct. The viva voce examination (which was created before written papers were set) was originally conducted in the presence of a largely undergraduate audience. Indeed an undergraduate had to provide a certificate of having attended two public examinations as a spectator before being allowed to sit his own. (History of the University of Oxford Vol VI page 345)

No-one other than examiners have participated in public examinations since they were introduced in 1800. The examinations were public to keep them honest. Oral examinations in the 18th century and before were merely a few formulaic questions to which the student knew the answers. What you are describing is the examination system of the medieval university and which eventually degraded into these ritual examinations. The public examination system was a break from that past.

Certainly in the 1980s it was still customary for a DPhil candidate to attend the defence of his thesis with a few friends and his superviser in the audience as supporters.
Reply 7
This is the Calendar

That link doesn't work unfortunately. I would like to buy the calendar for 2018- would it still be available?
That link doesn't work unfortunately. I would like to buy the calendar for 2018- would it still be available?

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/university-of-oxford-calendar-2018-2019-9780198831235?q=calendar&lang=en&cc=gb

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending