economics or RS AS-level

Watch this thread
carpe.noctem
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really can't decide between RS(philosophy and ethics) and economics for AS level, how did everyone find these subjects at AS level ? Which did you enjoy more ? How difficult was the subject and what was the workload like ? Thank you
EquityResearch
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
What other subjects are you studyingk; and what are you planning on doing after your A-levels?

I would advise you to study Economics since in my opinion it is more relevant, interesting and most likely more respected.
I wouldn't classify it as difficult.
littlesixbadger
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Although more practically applicable, I wouldn't discount RS for not being 'relevant enough'.
It's good for anything involving critical thinking and/or morality, and I found it to be brilliant. If your school has a 'grace period' try them both and drop the one you aren't feeling.
RS was a lot of reading (especially outside reading) and requires you to be able to argue with yourself, and really understand a text. It can be a lot of work, but if you're anything like me it can be really rewarding/enjoyable.
I can't say anything about economics.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by EquityResearch)
What other subjects are you studyingk; and what are you planning on doing after your A-levels?

I would advise you to study Economics since in my opinion it is more relevant, interesting and most likely more respected.
I wouldn't classify it as difficult.
Thanks, I will be doing it alongside biology,chemistry and maths and I hope to do medicine in the future. What is the workload like for economics ?
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by littlesixbadger)
Although more practically applicable, I wouldn't discount RS for not being 'relevant enough'.
It's good for anything involving critical thinking and/or morality, and I found it to be brilliant. If your school has a 'grace period' try them both and drop the one you aren't feeling.
RS was a lot of reading (especially outside reading) and requires you to be able to argue with yourself, and really understand a text. It can be a lot of work, but if you're anything like me it can be really rewarding/enjoyable.
I can't say anything about economics.
Thanks, With RS I feel as though, although I will find it interesting I think I will struggle with understanding all of the different concepts and fully immersing myself in the subject.
littlesixbadger
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nihil_nimis)
Thanks, With RS I feel as though, although I will find it interesting I think I will struggle with understanding all of the different concepts and fully immersing myself in the subject.
It can be difficult. Do you know which exam board/topics you'll be covering? Everyone in my class found cosmology/miracles easy, but topics like quantum mechanics can be covered (you don't actually have to understand much science there). Talk to your school about trying both, is probably the best option.
Zaffre
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, I will be doing it alongside biology,chemistry and maths and I hope to do medicine in the future. What is the workload like for economics ?
I've just taken AS levels in economics, maths, further maths, economics, biology and chemistry so I might be of some help

Personally, I would class economics as having the least amount of content out of my subjects (although only doing single maths may change that). It was the only subject during which we had time to watch documentaries and write essays which weren't strictly relevant to how exam papers work.

It was also the easiest subject for me to understand as the concepts at AS are based largely on common sense, and things that can be shown to you on graphs which helps with understanding.

Having said that, I didn't find the subject itself particularly stimulating. I guess learning the ins and outs of fiscal and monetary policy just isn't my thing. However that ranges hugely depending on your interests, and I still managed to get an A without too much crammed revision
Big Blue Machine
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
They're equally respected, RS is a more traditional option though. it's really fascinating!

One of the biggest things I can say for RS is it is all about exam technique, and knowing nothing more than what you need to write in the exam, waffle is detrimental to your grade. Questions repeat themselves, so with good preparation you can practically have done all your questions before the exam like I did. Edexcel RS is either Strenghts/ Weaknesses, is it convincing, or what are the key features. So do reading, but really condense notes, remember key quotes and work on making perfect, succinct paragraphs. Breadth is important here, you don't have waffle time!

If you do this, it's not hard to do really well ! I got my AS results today and averaged 97% RE
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by Zaffre)
I've just taken AS levels in economics, maths, further maths, economics, biology and chemistry so I might be of some help

Personally, I would class economics as having the least amount of content out of my subjects (although only doing single maths may change that). It was the only subject during which we had time to watch documentaries and write essays which weren't strictly relevant to how exam papers work.

It was also the easiest subject for me to understand as the concepts at AS are based largely on common sense, and things that can be shown to you on graphs which helps with understanding.

Having said that, I didn't find the subject itself particularly stimulating. I guess learning the ins and outs of fiscal and monetary policy just isn't my thing. However that ranges hugely depending on your interests, and I still managed to get an A without too much crammed revision
Thanks, did you find that you had to do a lot of extra reading to get that A grade ?
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
They're equally respected, RS is a more traditional option though. it's really fascinating!

One of the biggest things I can say for RS is it is all about exam technique, and knowing nothing more than what you need to write in the exam, waffle is detrimental to your grade. Questions repeat themselves, so with good preparation you can practically have done all your questions before the exam like I did. Edexcel RS is either Strenghts/ Weaknesses, is it convincing, or what are the key features. So do reading, but really condense notes, remember key quotes and work on making perfect, succinct paragraphs. Breadth is important here, you don't have waffle time!

If you do this, it's not hard to do really well ! I got my AS results today and averaged 97% RE
Thanks and well done with your results, I will be on OCR for RS but I think I will find the content itself too difficult and what is the workload like ? Is there a lot of extra reading ?
Zaffre
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, did you find that you had to do a lot of extra reading to get that A grade ?
None at all Teachers might tell you to keep up with current news to help, but this isn't at all essential to the course. I used only my notes and revision guide throughout the entire course - the style of questions that come up is very consistent. The content you need to know is written out in the course specification, so I wouldn't worry about doing any additional reading on top of that.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by Zaffre)
None at all Teachers might tell you to keep up with current news to help, but this isn't at all essential to the course. I used only my notes and revision guide throughout the entire course - the style of questions that come up is very consistent. The content you need to know is written out in the course specification, so I wouldn't worry about doing any additional reading on top of that.
Thanks what exam board were you on , and could you recommend any books or revision guides ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zaffre
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks what exam board were you on , and could you recommend any books or revision guides ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did OCR and just used the CGP revision guide

This website also has some really great notes:
www.petragrade.com

"Micro" and "macro" are the two units, and that site is pretty universal so can be used for any exam board
Big Blue Machine
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks and well done with your results, I will be on OCR for RS but I think I will find the content itself too difficult and what is the workload like ? Is there a lot of extra reading ?
The content is not difficult. They're not looking for an unbelievable understanding of philosophies which rip your head in two. They would rather you give key facts, like quotes, and a succinct description of its characteristics. You also have a lot of choice, just choose easier topics! I avoided the cosmological argument because it confused me.

If you want, I'll send you an essay. You will see it is NOT complex, it's memorising and exam technique
EquityResearch
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Though I haven't studied it personally (some of my friends have), they have told me that the workload is not too much. It's only AS Economics anyway so you should be OK with it, it will only test you on the basics.
I would advise you to keep up on economic/financial news on a daily basis because there is also an essay part as far as I know.

Compared to the other subjects you are studying, it shouldn't be that hard to attain a grade A.

Good luck!
carpe.noctem
Rep:
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
The content is not difficult. They're not looking for an unbelievable understanding of philosophies which rip your head in two. They would rather you give key facts, like quotes, and a succinct description of its characteristics. You also have a lot of choice, just choose easier topics! I avoided the cosmological argument because it confused me.

If you want, I'll send you an essay. You will see it is NOT complex, it's memorising and exam technique
Thank you, also how difficult is it to get the top grades at AS ?
carpe.noctem
Rep:
Though I haven't studied it personally (some of my friends have), they have told me that the workload is not too much. It's only AS Economics anyway so you should be OK with it, it will only test you on the basics.
I would advise you to keep up on economic/financial news on a daily basis because there is also an essay part as far as I know.

Compared to the other subjects you are studying, it shouldn't be that hard to attain a grade A.

Good luck!
Thank you, what subjects do you study ?
Big Blue Machine
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, also how difficult is it to get the top grades at AS ?
It's a matter of being succinct, and getting everything down in time in a well structured manner, mostly.
EquityResearch
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, what subjects do you study ?
I studied Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Government & Politics at A-level. In September I will be studying Bsc Government and Economics at the LSE. Previously, I studied Accounting with Economics at the University of Essex, however left in the early part of my second year.
carpe.noctem
Rep:
I studied Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Government & Politics at A-level. In September I will be studying Bsc Government and Economics at the LSE. Previously, I studied Accounting with Economics at the University of Essex, however left in the early part of my second year.
Sounds great , Good luck ! How did you find further maths ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads