The Student Room Group

economics or RS AS-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nihil_nimis
Sounds great , Good luck ! How did you find further maths ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much.
It was very hard, especially considering that I took all A-levels within a year but it paid off in the end.
I took both Economics (AQA) and Religious Studies (OCR) (or as we all preferred to call it, Philosophy & Ethics).

Economics is relatively straight forward, a lot of questions are binary (as in, there are two possible outcomes to an effect) and it mainly looks for exam technique and basic understanding of markets. I did a bit of extra reading but nothing major. I wouldn't say essay writing is the hinge point for the subject, it's more basic understanding and applying good technique.

R.S is something totally different in my opinion as it looks for a pretty comprehensive understanding of the arguments/theories you're going to study. It requires a lot of extra reading so really is a subject where thoroughly enjoying it makes it a lot easier. Exam technique plays a part, but isn't as important as K&U. Essay writing is also a consideration: it develops your skills sure, but being good at it already helps.

When it came down to work put in, getting an A in Economics was a lot easier than the A in R.S.
Original post by LucasREdwards
I took both Economics (AQA) and Religious Studies (OCR) (or as we all preferred to call it, Philosophy & Ethics).

Economics is relatively straight forward, a lot of questions are binary (as in, there are two possible outcomes to an effect) and it mainly looks for exam technique and basic understanding of markets. I did a bit of extra reading but nothing major. I wouldn't say essay writing is the hinge point for the subject, it's more basic understanding and applying good technique.

R.S is something totally different in my opinion as it looks for a pretty comprehensive understanding of the arguments/theories you're going to study. It requires a lot of extra reading so really is a subject where thoroughly enjoying it makes it a lot easier. Exam technique plays a part, but isn't as important as K&U. Essay writing is also a consideration: it develops your skills sure, but being good at it already helps.

When it came down to work put in, getting an A in Economics was a lot easier than the A in R.S.

Thank you so much , this is really helpful , which did you enjoy more ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I did both philsophy RS and Economics, I believe that Economics was the harder subject in terms of both workload and difficulty. I think it depends though, economics is a subject based on pure logic and reasoning whilst RS philsophy focuses more on essay writing and moral thinking. Ultimately you should choose what sounds the more interesting :smile:
Original post by P.Ennis
I did both philsophy RS and Economics, I believe that Economics was the harder subject in terms of both workload and difficulty. I think it depends though, economics is a subject based on pure logic and reasoning whilst RS philsophy focuses more on essay writing and moral thinking. Ultimately you should choose what sounds the more interesting :smile:

Thanks , What was it about economics that made it difficult ? I am interested in both , I can't seem to make up my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much , this is really helpful , which did you enjoy more ?

That's tough. I have to say I enjoyed both equally despite it being a bit of a cop-out answer. Economics allows you a greater understanding of how markets work and is fun to try and apply to real life, especially the Micro part of the course.
R.S on the other hand explored huge questions which were a lot of fun to discuss. Researching scholars opinions' on said topics really opened my eyes to alternative views of the world around us. Economics is pretty empirical in its topic matter whereas R.S is largely theoretical (especially Philosophy of Religion).
Reply 26
Thanks , What was it about economics that made it difficult ? I am interested in both , I can't seem to make up my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

I struggled with the technicalities of the subject mostly. whilst I found philosphy to be less on the technicalities and more on the big picture. With economics (especially with the multiple choice) there was more of a definitve right and wrong unlike philosphy and ethics. Hope that helps
Original post by LucasREdwards
That's tough. I have to say I enjoyed both equally despite it being a bit of a cop-out answer. Economics allows you a greater understanding of how markets work and is fun to try and apply to real life, especially the Micro part of the course.
R.S on the other hand explored huge questions which were a lot of fun to discuss. Researching scholars opinions' on said topics really opened my eyes to alternative views of the world around us. Economics is pretty empirical in its topic matter whereas R.S is largely theoretical (especially Philosophy of Religion).

Original post by P.Ennis
I struggled with the technicalities of the subject mostly. whilst I found philosphy to be less on the technicalities and more on the big picture. With economics (especially with the multiple choice) there was more of a definitve right and wrong unlike philosphy and ethics. Hope that helps

Thank you so much, is there any particular text books/revision guides you would recommend for both subjects, also any extra reading books or article ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Thank you so much, is there any particular text books/revision guides you would recommend for both subjects, also any extra reading books or article ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For economics I used the CGP revision guide and for RS philosophy I used the two textbooks from AQA. Not sure about extra reading, wasn't intrested in economics enough to do any, and for RS philosphy I managed just on the textbook...

Quick Reply

Latest