Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've seen threads asking about doing an A2 in a year and I want to take a whole French AS-level in half a year. Do you think it is possible to learn all the AS bumpf from Sept-Jan? Surely that's the same as learning an A2 in a year...but in French? What's that going to be like?

I am having a gap year and I'm off to China in February. I have from Sept-Jan to work etc, and I want to do French as I'm considering doing something like 'Linguistics with TEFL' or 'European languages with TEFL' at University. I don't need to do French AS to get into either of these courses, but I have wanted to do French AS since year 11, but timetables at our school sucked, so I couldn't do French if I was doing Chemistry (my strongest subject). I feel learning a second langauge is something very very useful indeed and I would love to be able to speak another language.

Anyways, I can only do exams in January obviously, so what is the French AS like, and is it humanly possible to squeeze the whole thing in between Sept and Jan? Any response would be greatly appreciated! I want to get my gap year sorted out ASAP so I can enjoy it without any worry!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Please someone reply, there must be someone here who has done AS-french and can give me some information about how time consuming it is etc. Any help at all would be really great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    Please someone reply, there must be someone here who has done AS-french and can give me some information about how time consuming it is etc. Any help at all would be really great.
    difficult - i dont know how good you are at languages - i would consider myself a capable linguist - and i find it hard to do german as in a whole year - there is alot of stuff to learn esp vocabularies. It depends how much workload you put into it ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThunderCat8)
    I've seen threads asking about doing an A2 in a year and I want to take a whole French AS-level in half a year. Do you think it is possible to learn all the AS bumpf from Sept-Jan? Surely that's the same as learning an A2 in a year...but in French? What's that going to be like?

I am having a gap year and I'm off to China in February. I have from Sept-Jan to work etc, and I want to do French as I'm considering doing something like 'Linguistics with TEFL' or 'European languages with TEFL' at University. I don't need to do French AS to get into either of these courses, but I have wanted to do French AS since year 11, but timetables at our school sucked, so I couldn't do French if I was doing Chemistry (my strongest subject). I feel learning a second langauge is something very very useful indeed and I would love to be able to speak another language.

Anyways, I can only do exams in January obviously, so what is the French AS like, and is it humanly possible to squeeze the whole thing in between Sept and Jan? Any response would be greatly appreciated! I want to get my gap year sorted out ASAP so I can enjoy it without any worry!

Thanks!
    It's more about how good you are at languages. If you are you'll pick it up quickly. I found the jump from GCSE to A/S level more of a 'step' really. I found GCSE a doddle, and found most of A/S pretty easy.
    I dont know what board you're doing, but most of my learning consisted of vocabulary. In the board i did.. (can't really remember).. We had to do business french, which was the most boring thing i've ever done!
    We spent a whole year farting around in class doing pointless exercises, and I found that all my learning actually happened outside of class. I blame my school personally.. bad teaching method, much better to have in class conversations and debates and learn the language that way..
    Anyway, I got well over an A in A/S, but was so uninspired by the year of boredom that I decided to drop doing french.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm doing Italian A Level in a year, Spanish A2 and French AS from scratch.

As I said I'm doing A Level Italian in a year and I know a girl who's doing A Level Spanish in a year, so A Level French is definitely possibleif you put the work in, I would have done it if I'd had time this year lol but I'm also doing AVCE IT (second year), although again as other posters have said, it depends on your aptitude for languages.

Rite,

C ya,

Jordan

BTW is anyone doing the AS Italian exam this Tuesday??

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how good I am at languages anymore as I haven't done one for 2 years since doing GCSE french (which i did get A* for). I am going to pop into school after one of my exams and ask the teachers for their opinions. If I can't do an actual AS in french, I might just go to evening classes etc. I really really really want to be able to speak another language!

I think our school does AQA (that is what it was for GCSE anyway) and hopefully there is no business french as that would bore me to tears.

Anyway, merci! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Why not start studying it independently? Get a distance learning course for instance (www.nec.ac.uk) or hire a private tutor, and then you can kick off in the summer rather than waiting for September. It'll give you quite a few months headstart and, as languages are more gradual assimilation than instant learning, it might make all the difference. Hope it works for you!

ReputationRep:
    If I do it through the school, it is free. If i do it through a company like that, I have to pay. I'm poor, I need the money for my six months in China!!

Good idea though, I may purchase an A-level french book in the summer (or borrow one from the school!) and get reading during the summer. I like having a head start! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You'll find it easy if you're reasonably good at languages. Certainly, we did last year's paper as a mock at Christmas, and I easily got an A, so you should cope, especially without any other subjects to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how you found gcse....

I basically did it in half a year like you, i did it this in year 11, we only had a few periods a week, and i didnt pay attention at all, the hardest part was the presentation but i wrote it the week before, its gotta be about 12 mins long, and it went ok,

the listenig isnt that bad, but u shud get some tapes and books and listen to them over the summer, writing is fine, all you need to do is learn some set phrases using a few subjunctives and pluperfects, and put them in embedding with gcse standard french

the reading isnt much harder than gcse either.

If you spend an hour every day in the summer, get a book called mot a mot its gotta quite alot of vocab which is pretty useful, learn them, and read a few french mags and ure sorted

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Thanks for the help guys, I will work hard as this is something I really want. If anybody knows any other book titles or CD titles (or something i could download of Winmx ) I could get them and get started. I will try to get that Mot a mot book and some french mags. I'm sure they're all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing it this year (i'm in year 11) too.

ReputationRep:
    It's fairly easy - if you are A* at GCSE then the standard for an A at AS isn't much higher. Just depends on how familiar you are with it having done it so long ago.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.