The Student Room Group

Should I remark my AS chemistry unit 1 paper ?

hi guys, Today I got my results and I wasn't very happy with my chemistry grade. I achieved a D grade in chemistry overall, with two D grades in units 1 and 2 and an A grade on the controlled assessment. I was particularly disappointed in unit 1 as I felt I did well and the questions were similar to other papers in which I got B grades. also with the unit 2 paper I struggled to answer a lot of questions and got a D which I wasn't surprised about, but with unit 1 I answers all questions confidently and I'm shocked I received the Same grade for both. Is it possible that the paper has been marked incorrectly ? Should I get it remarked ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please someone reply this is URGENT!
How far into the D boundary are both papers?
if your in AS I think but im not sure you can request a copy of your script, then you could go and show it to your teacher and see if its worth going for a re-mark but i think the deadline for priority scripts is soon
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emmy_96
hi guys, Today I got my results and I wasn't very happy with my chemistry grade. I achieved a D grade in chemistry overall, with two D grades in units 1 and 2 and an A grade on the controlled assessment. I was particularly disappointed in unit 1 as I felt I did well and the questions were similar to other papers in which I got B grades. also with the unit 2 paper I struggled to answer a lot of questions and got a D which I wasn't surprised about, but with unit 1 I answers all questions confidently and I'm shocked I received the Same grade for both. Is it possible that the paper has been marked incorrectly ? Should I get it remarked ?

how many ums off were you?
Original post by claireestelle
how many ums off were you?

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar query, I got 209/300 UMS and the boundary for a B is 210, do you think its worth a remark maybe?
Original post by 雷尼克
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar query, I got 209/300 UMS and the boundary for a B is 210, do you think its worth a remark maybe?

I think for 1 ums its worth a try, theres a risk it could go down but its not something to worry about too much as you're that close to the next grade:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
I think for 1 ums its worth a try, theres a risk it could go down but its not something to worry about too much as you're that close to the next grade:smile:

Yeah I dont think it will go down 29 marks to a D, but I got AAAAC in my results I'm not doing chemistry next year but maybe I'll try for a remark
Original post by 雷尼克
Yeah I dont think it will go down 29 marks to a D, but I got AAAAC in my results I'm not doing chemistry next year but maybe I'll try for a remark

go for it:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nobodycarescarla
How far into the D boundary are both papers?

I got a 66 in unit 1 and a 60 in unit 2.
Reply 10
Original post by Summer solace
if your in AS I think but im not sure you can request a copy of your script, then you could go and show it to your teacher and see if its worth going for a re-mark but i think the deadline for priority scripts is soon

The deadline for a photocopy is is the 21st August and the deadline for the original script is the 1st of October.
Original post by Emmy_96
I got a 66 in unit 1 and a 60 in unit 2.

Okay and what exam board do you use?
Reply 12
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Okay and what exam board do you use?

Edexcel
Original post by Emmy_96
The deadline for a photocopy is is the 21st August and the deadline for the original script is the 1st of October.

How much does photocopy cost compared to real sxript?
Reply 14
Original post by IvoryToast
How much does photocopy cost compared to real sxript?

Well depends on the exam board really. But edexcel charge £8 for original and £11 for the photocopy.
Reply 15
Original post by Emmy_96

I think you should just retake.
A remark will only up your grade to a C (if that's what you're aiming for then that's fine), and even to achieve a C by remarking would still be a miracle.
If you're thinking about taking A2 Chemistry then definitely retake, because AS will become so much easier for you, and you will be able to achieve a much better grade.
Reply 16
Original post by HAnwar
I think you should just retake.
A remark will only up your grade to a C (if that's what you're aiming for then that's fine), and even to achieve a C by remarking would still be a miracle.
If you're thinking about taking A2 Chemistry then definitely retake, because AS will become so much easier for you, and you will be able to achieve a much better grade.

Well I am planning to continue chemistry to A2 and I'm fine with retaking. The thing is I can't do it as a degree as my AS grade isn't very good and I will most likely get rejected from the unis I apply to.
Reply 17
Original post by Emmy_96
Well I am planning to continue chemistry to A2 and I'm fine with retaking. The thing is I can't do it as a degree as my AS grade isn't very good and I will most likely get rejected from the unis I apply to.

That's not true.
It's your overall grade that counts not your AS grade.
Reply 18
Original post by HAnwar
That's not true.
It's your overall grade that counts not your AS grade.

That is true but all universities will look at my AS grades, and When there will be people who have gotten A grades, there's not much competition and I will be the one who is rejected. Plus I'm gutted I probably can't go to a Russell group now. :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Emmy_96
That is true but all universities will look at my AS grades, and When there will be people who have gotten A grades, there's not much competition and I will be the one who is rejected. Plus I'm gutted I probably can't go to a Russell group now. :frown:

Lol it really doesn't work like that.
Seriously just get a good grade at the end of A2 and it will all work out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest