Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so this is the deal... in this current exam session i will have done m1 p1 and p2. after the holidays we'll do p3 m2 and maybe S1...

seeing as i'm applying to oxford i thought it would be good to have done Further maths... that is p4p5p6

i'm about an average maths student but feel that i can get an A at a-level maths...

Is it possible to learn P3 over the holidays by myself with access to the P3 book as well as all past papers??? after that. can i learn p4 andp5 and p6 all by myself as well??

any help and advice or your stories would greatly be appreciated

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm....

I would be interested in this too. I may be able to help on the P3 stuff. It would certainly be possible to learn it on your own although you will probably need a little help with some tricky questions in intergration and vectors. Your teacher could probably help you with that or even here!

My teacher is leaving after this year and we are getting a useless teacher who is more of a childminder so I will be learning P4-6 by myself too!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely possible, you just need to put your mind to it and not lose track.

I learned s3-s5 by myself over the course of this year, and i could have done them all in a month or two if i'd really tried...

ReputationRep:
    ill do my best!

OXFORD HERE I COME! hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a detour here, anyone know if STEP is possible self taught? My teacher will not be able to give me one to one time on this and I will be the only one doing it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Womble548)
    Bit of a detour here, anyone know if STEP is possible self taught? My teacher will not be able to give me one to one time on this and I will be the only one doing it!
    STEP is better self taught, you really need to develop your own raw ability rather than have it drilled into you, you'll learn a lot mroe that way.

ReputationRep:
    wtf is STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXXNICEGUYXXX)
    wtf is STEP?
    A few months ago this was me:

Step = sixth term exam paper, used by warrick and cambridge

It is basically a maths paper which is more ambiguous than A-level involving more thought. You get 14 questions, 8 pure, 3 mech and 3 stats and graded s,1,2 or 3.

There are lots of topics on this which would explain it better.

ReputationRep:
    wtf is STEP?
    http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html

ReputationRep:
    i'm teaching myself P3 and S1 over the summer...i'm sure ul manage it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Definitely possible, you just need to put your mind to it and not lose track.

I learned s3-s5 by myself over the course of this year, and i could have done them all in a month or two if i'd really tried...
    With all due respect, I don't think you are an 'average' student. Niceguy classifies himself as an average student; I personally think that teaching yourself P3-6 is a very tall order. Personally, I was intending to attempt it, yet I am fairly sure I would have struggled. If your school does not offer the modules, my advice would be to look at some local FE colleges in your area, they will be running classes for each of those modules: see if you will be able to fit them into you schedule, if they run evening classes it would make things easier. I went to a college in the evenings to learn P4,5; it was so much easier than teaching it to myself and I think that if you could arrange to be taught at least some of your modules at a college it would make the process much less stressfull, it provides a structure and support if you need help with any part of the course.

ReputationRep:
    ok i really am above average hahah... anyways. i live in malaysia where everybody else does the cambrdige board called CIE...
    it does seem like a tall order... i however only want to do P4 p5 p6 ie an As in further maths...i am doing 3 alevel subjects now so i have free time to ask teachers... thx for the advice anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing what you're doing, except M2 instead of P6 and 4A levels instead of 3... I think it's possible

ReputationRep:
    I taught myself P2, P3, P4, M2 and M3 (P2, P3 and M2 in the summer hols)

It is definitely difficult, but also definitely possible to complete successfully as long as you stay committed.

ReputationRep:
    ok so this is the deal... in this current exam session i will have done m1 p1 and p2. after the holidays we'll do p3 m2 and maybe S1...

seeing as i'm applying to oxford i thought it would be good to have done Further maths... that is p4p5p6

i'm about an average maths student but feel that i can get an A at a-level maths...

Is it possible to learn P3 over the holidays by myself with access to the P3 book as well as all past papers??? after that. can i learn p4 andp5 and p6 all by myself as well??

any help and advice or your stories would greatly be appreciated

Ben
    I plan to do the same

This is my plan:

In the summer, i will teach my self P3,M2 and S1 i hear that M2 is fairly easy and s1 can be learnt in 2 weks before the exam and get an easy A, P3 is a little tougher than P2, but ive been told that if you managed the Logs in P2" wich are pritty hard i guess" youll do fine in P3, and there is alot less to learn in the P3 mdule than p2 or p1. This way i could take a Finals in January instead of the casual June, then i would have around 4-5 months to learn Further maths.

Further maths has only one compulsory unit i.e. P4, you are free to chosse the rest, but have to be A2 subs and applications, so i would go for P4, M3 and ( S2 OR M4 OR D1 ) D1 is easy IF you can catch the hold of it.....

so it seems quite possible, from here anyways.

GOOD LUCK MATE!

ReputationRep:
    thx for all teh help guys!

lets see if i can do it

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.