The Student Room Group

Changing GPs(Doctors) for moving cities for university?

Hiya,

I'm moving from London to Stirling(in scotland) for university and would like some advice on what i need to do in terms of healthcare. Like what do I need to do, do i need to change GPs or like transfer things, how does it all work and what's the process?

Thanks in advance TSR buddies! :biggrin:
My plan is to move to university and sign up to the local GP :smile:!
Original post by Ting Ya
Hiya,

I'm moving from London to Stirling(in scotland) for university and would like some advice on what i need to do in terms of healthcare. Like what do I need to do, do i need to change GPs or like transfer things, how does it all work and what's the process?

just pop to your uni gp and sign up when you get there:smile:
Original post by Ting Ya
Hiya,

Last year when I went to uni, they had their own campus GP where you can sign up and it's all really easy :smile:
Original post by Ting Ya
Hiya,

Hello,

When you get to the city that your university is in (the university will probably provide information on the nearest doctors) just look for the nearest doctors and see if they are currently allowing new patients to register and they'll give you a form to fill out.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone! I'm guessing I sign up at the nearest GP in my university's city as a temporary sign up for 4 years? :smile:

thanks in advance ^_^
Original post by Ting Ya
Thanks everyone! I'm guessing I sign up at the nearest GP in my university's city as a temporary sign up for 4 years? :smile:

thanks in advance ^_^

You can't temporarily sign up for 4 years. I think you can temporality register for 6 months. You have to register, and then reregister at home. My biggest uni regret is registering there. I wasn't allowed to reregister at my family doctor's when I was home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I would register as a permanent patient at the practice in Stirling, and then register as a temporary patient in London during the vacations, if you ever need treatment. Then anything that gets added to your records in London is transferred up to Stirling.
It's normal to sign up with a GP in your university city. If you get ill when you're visiting home you can go and see your old GP as a 'temporary resident'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ting Ya
Hiya,

My university had a doctors surgery on campus- on their website there were forms we had to fill out and bring along asklng for things like injection history and family history of certain diseases and ilnesses as well as if you had any ongoing problems.
My advice would be DON'T DO IT. I thought I'd be all efficient and switch practices, but the amount of complications you can face is ridiculous. They never fixed it (I'm now in second year!) and I now have no surgery to go to. Actually, I should probably call up my old one and go back to them.

If you are going to do it, just think about how often you will be in Stirling. If you'll be home regularly, then there isn't much point. But if you do it, just make sure you don't give them the actual documents they ask for - always give copies. Chances are they will go walkabout! :smile:
Reply 11
Hello guys :h: as I could figure out from reading the discussion, in order to sign up with a GP in your university campus, you only need to fill a form, nothing else? Or are there any documents required? Do I need to take anything from my old GP? Thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending