The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham Uni: accomodation deposit

I read in the Birmingham accommodation website FAQ that I have to make a pre-payment of £550 4 days after receiving the offer.. I have also been allocated to Liberty Gardens, where I have to pay a deposit of £200...

Does anyone know if I have to pay both of these, and how I actually pay these prepayments or deposits??

Also, when does student finance come in? Because I'd rather use my student loan to do this, otherwise I'll have to use savings://
Original post by youwantsum
I read in the Birmingham accommodation website FAQ that I have to make a pre-payment of £550 4 days after receiving the offer.. I have also been allocated to Liberty Gardens, where I have to pay a deposit of £200...

Does anyone know if I have to pay both of these, and how I actually pay these prepayments or deposits??

Also, when does student finance come in? Because I'd rather use my student loan to do this, otherwise I'll have to use savings://

Hello, I had the same problem too! Basically you can call student finance and ask them to alleviate some of your student loan so you can make the prepayment. I don't know how long it takes though... However if you call up the accommodation services for UoB then they can extend the 4 day deadline!

I think you have to pay it and I think it's a case by case basis on how much they extend the deadline for. Oh and I don't know when we get the student loan, I would assume the start of each term? But I will try and find out for myself too :tongue:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by GuyPerkins1996
Oh and I don't know when we get the student loan, I would assume the start of each term? But I will try and find out for myself too :tongue:

If you log into your student finance account, you can find a breakdown of the payments you will be receiving, which includes the dates you will be receiving the installments. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but my 1st installment comes in 28/9
Reply 3
Original post by ResultInExcellence
If you log into your student finance account, you can find a breakdown of the payments you will be receiving, which includes the dates you will be receiving the installments. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but my 1st installment comes in 28/9

Mine says 28th too......one huge problem- my accommodation payment is due on september 19th, in full instalment, while student finance are only giving me like a third of my student loan on the 28th...WHAT DO I DO???!!!:O
Original post by youwantsum
Mine says 28th too......one huge problem- my accommodation payment is due on september 19th, in full instalment, while student finance are only giving me like a third of my student loan on the 28th...WHAT DO I DO???!!!:O

Unfortunately, they do actually tell you in advance that you will have to pay the pre-payment before the 1st installment is given out and therefore to save for it... I personally just got my parents to pay for it. Is anyone in your family able to pay for it?

Alternatively, you can do what GuyPerkins1996 above said and call student finance to explain your situation and see if they can hand out some of that loan earlier for you.
Reply 5
I've been allocated Oakley Court and I'm trying to accept my accommodation offer but when I click pay now it keeps saying invalid XML does anyone have any idea what to do?? I've tried ringing them up but the offices are closed :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending