The Student Room Group

Which university?

Hello, I am wanting to study Law at university in Sept 2016, but I am struggling to make a decision which is my preferred universities.

I am currently studying law and I, would like to think, that I am academically capable of getting into good universities.

I am currently considering: York, Nottingham, Durham, Northumbria.

I am wanting to qualify as a lawyer and quite possible do a further education after my degree. I eventually want to be a Barrister.

Does anybody have any advice on these specific universities or any advice on different universities even?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham would be the best choice, than Nottingham. To be a barrister you would need a top University and a good degree classification. York would be fine too. Northumbria is lower in the ranking but the big benefit is that you could do an exempting degree https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/courses/llb-hons-m-law-exempting-ft-uufmle1/llb-hons-m-law-exempting-bar-professional-training-course-full-time/ so you won't have to do the BPTC after your LLB (as you would need to do for the other three options) but in terms of ranking Durham would be, by far, the best.
Reply 2
Original post by christianlaw
Durham would be the best choice, than Nottingham. To be a barrister you would need a top University and a good degree classification. York would be fine too. Northumbria is lower in the ranking but the big benefit is that you could do an exempting degree https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/courses/llb-hons-m-law-exempting-ft-uufmle1/llb-hons-m-law-exempting-bar-professional-training-course-full-time/ so you won't have to do the BPTC after your LLB (as you would need to do for the other three options) but in terms of ranking Durham would be, by far, the best.

Thank you for the information, in your opinion which would you go for? Honestly, Durham is my last choice at the moment as I don't like the city itself and the university is a city uni rather than campus based (which York and Nottingham are).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have any experience with Nottingham but I have visited York several times (including the University) and the city is really amazing. I think is an excellent place to live and study for three years. This is however very subjective so the best course of action is to visit all the Uni-cities you are considering and form your own opinion. Sometimes you have to follow your instinct and really factor in the whole learning experience.
Durham is the most prestigious university on that list. That's all I can tell you I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by christianlaw
I don't have any experience with Nottingham but I have visited York several times (including the University) and the city is really amazing. I think is an excellent place to live and study for three years. This is however very subjective so the best course of action is to visit all the Uni-cities you are considering and form your own opinion. Sometimes you have to follow your instinct and really factor in the whole learning experience.

Thanks. I have visited York University and I've been to the city quite a few times and it seems to be a lovely place. The course seems quite interested there, active and practical way of learning.

I am actually going to the different universities on their open days in September to take a look around and get a better idea of the courses at all of the above. I just wanted people's opinions so I have a basic knowledge before I attend ( obviously I have read the websites but they all big themselves up, of course).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ChampEon
Durham is the most prestigious university on that list. That's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending