The Student Room Group

Getting a U in your AS

I got a U in my sociology. What do I do? What are my options??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chaoticfaerie

Sorry to hear about this. Don't beat yourself over it OP. I would advise you to drop the subject and take another one. You could ask your teachers how this would be possible? Does any other subject interest you OP? Did you prepare for the exams/ essays? If you did, did you put everything into it? Do you think you can do better if your retake it again?
Original post by Vanny17
Sorry to hear about this. Don't beat yourself over it OP. I would advise you to drop the subject and take another one. You could ask your teachers how this would be possible? Does any other subject interest you OP? Did you prepare for the exams/ essays? If you did, did you put everything into it? Do you think you can do better if your retake it again?

I'm just so bummed though. I studied harder for my sociology than my politics but still got E in politics. Also I've been better in sociology throughout the year. Do you think I can get my paper remarked or is there no point? Not sure if I'll keep it on now or do a different subject. I have a meeting with my teacher & head of year next week and I'll probably ask them then :smile:
Reply 3
And I was planning to take it for A-levels in 2 Years time...wow!
Is it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

i got a B for sociology if that makes you feel better
Reply 5
Resit all of the modules, or drop the subject entirely since it is clearly not something that you can be bothered with.
Reply 6
Original post by df2397

How on earth is that supposed to help anything but your own ego?

Shameless.
Original post by 0lut0
Is it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really, I didn't find it hard at all which is why I'm so confused as to why I got a U. I did really well in sociology until i got my exam result. They make the grade boundaries harder every year though so if you take up sociology it may be harder to pass it or not depending on the board
Original post by df2397

So much better, thanks lol
Original post by VannR
Resit all of the modules, or drop the subject entirely since it is clearly not something that you can be bothered with.

Original post by 0lut0
Is it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really; you've just got to get the sociologist and their study right!

Really, I didn't find it hard at all which is why I'm so confused as to why I got a U. I did really well in sociology until i got my exam result. They make the grade boundaries harder every year though so if you take up sociology it may be harder to pass it or not depending on the board

What was your board for Sociology?

Most schools tend to do AQA Sociology; AQA have lowered their grade boundaries this year.

If you did do AQA, The official statistics and social groups question did catch quite a lot of people out this year!
Original post by VannR
How on earth is that supposed to help anything but your own ego?

Shameless.

typical tsrian tbh; always feeling the need to boast about something.
Well I got an A...
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Not really; you've just got to get the sociologist and their study right!

What was your board for Sociology?

Most schools tend to do AQA Sociology; AQA have lowered their grade boundaries this year.

If you did do AQA, The official statistics and social groups question did catch quite a lot of people out this year!

Yeah, it was AQA. Crossing my fingers and hoping that when I see my teacher next week she tells me that they somehow wrote the wrong grade on my sheet 😹 too far-fetched probably
Original post by xAssassin786
Well I got an A...

People having better grades than me doesn't make me feel bad. Lol, nice try though. Well done on your grade :h:
What grades did you get in your other subjects?
ok well done

It happens, when I took my A-Levels I foolishly decided on Chemistry and Physics with English and Religious Studies...post GCSE my brain flipped from Science-centric to humanities and I bombed hard in Physics (also getting a U).

12 years later, went to uni, got a degree, spent 18 months living in Andorra and Barcelona and have an amazing job and huge recognition within my sector.

So long story short, it happens, work hard on your A2's and make the most of the academic or vocational options that will open up to you next August.

Good Luck!
Original post by SCIENCE :D
What grades did you get in your other subjects?

A in art
B in media
E in politics

I'm planning to drop Politics
People having better grades than me doesn't make me feel bad. Lol, nice try though. Well done on your grade :h:

Meh i only revised for 3 days in total. Its a shock that i managed to get an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending