Retake A2 or Settle for Insurance Uni? Watch

Dech
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Long story short, I was hoping to do a BSc economics degree with UEA as my firm, but was rejected with the grades of BBD, and was accepted into Essex as my insurance uni. Although Essex isn't a bad uni, it's not a uni that I'm satisfied to go to as the graduate prospects could be better.

Would it be better for me to retake my A level modules with the determination to get to a uni with at least links to top city firms or the Big 4 accountancy firms, or move on to complete a degree up in Essex, doing an MBA in a better uni thereafter?
Kingston University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dech)
Long story short, I was hoping to do a BSc economics degree with UEA as my firm, but was rejected with the grades of BBD, and was accepted into Essex as my insurance uni. Although Essex isn't a bad uni, it's not a uni that I'm satisfied to go to as the graduate prospects could be better.

Would it be better for me to retake my A level modules with the determination to get to a uni with at least links to top city firms or the Big 4 accountancy firms, or move on to complete a degree up in Essex, doing an MBA in a better uni thereafter?
Hi Dech,

Make sure that you're comfortable whereever you go because it's going to be somewhere that you spend the next three years studying. I would also take into consideration the place and student satisfaction rate too. If you are interested I know that Kingston still have places in clearing for Economics and 85% of our setudents are fully statisfied with their degree. If this is something you're interested in our clearing hotline number is 08448429599*.

Please let me know if I can help at all.

Chloe

*Calls cost 7p per minute plus your phone company's access charges.

Student Ambassador
Dech
Rep:
?
Thanks for the proposal, but not quite what I'm looking for
SarahhF
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dech;[url="tel:58469979")
58469979[/url]]Long story short, I was hoping to do a BSc economics degree with UEA as my firm, but was rejected with the grades of BBD, and was accepted into Essex as my insurance uni. Although Essex isn't a bad uni, it's not a uni that I'm satisfied to go to as the graduate prospects could be better.

Sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for. The same happened to me last year, I got BBC and was absolutely gutted but still got accepted into my insurance. I knew I didn't want to go there and it wasn't somewhere where I wanted to spend the next 4 years plus of my life so I decided to have a year to retake some units, save up some money and have a bit of a chill.
There were times when I was really regretting not taking my uni place and just getting on with it, it's a tough year, but yesterday I ended up getting AAA and getting into the uni I really wanted to go to!
Do what feels right, but personally I wouldn't have done anything different and I'm so glad I didn't rush into taking a place that I didn't really want.
Dech
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarahhF)
Sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for. The same happened to me last year, I got BBC and was absolutely gutted but still got accepted into my insurance. I knew I didn't want to go there and it wasn't somewhere where I wanted to spend the next 4 years plus of my life so I decided to have a year to retake some units, save up some money and have a bit of a chill.
There were times when I was really regretting not taking my uni place and just getting on with it, it's a tough year, but yesterday I ended up getting AAA and getting into the uni I really wanted to go to!
Do what feels right, but personally I wouldn't have done anything different and I'm so glad I didn't rush into taking a place that I didn't really want.
That's amazing, what courses did you do, and what uni are you going now?
SarahhF
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dech)
That's amazing, what courses did you do, and what uni are you going now?
My A levels were biology, chemistry and geography and I'm going to be doing Pharmacy at Manchester
hasnain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dech)

im in the exact same boat as i got BBD (in maths chemistry and biology respectively) and got into Essex for accounting and finance but im not satisfied and im not sure if i want to retake or continue.
ChiFlee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hasnain123)
im in the exact same boat as i got BBD (in maths chemistry and biology respectively) and got into Essex for accounting and finance but im not satisfied and im not sure if i want to retake or continue.
Hi!

I thought I'd give me opinion after reading the previous reply and how successful they have been. I think it would be worth a thought, would you rather settle at Essex or take a year out, re sit some modules, potentially do amazingly better and go to somewhere you love next year with awesome grades. It really does depend on you and your mindset/what you want, because when you look back in 10 years that extra year you spent boosting up your grade really won't mean a thing to you. But at the same time if Essex doesn't seem too bad in your mind go there. I realise it's a bit late but you could have a look at clearing, there may (although very unlikely at this point) be some spaces in Universities that may interest you further for your course.

Anyway, good luck I'd love to hear what you end up deciding to do! I'm also going to University this year (Sussex) after missing my offer at UCL.
hasnain123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi i decided to just go to essex best of luck friend
Sharmila_Student
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hasnain123)
hi i decided to just go to essex best of luck friend
Hi ,
I study at Essex and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have
^Sharmila
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (535)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.22%

Watched Threads