Turn on thread page Beta

P1 Revision topic - 1:15pm 9th June - Edexcel watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol.. well your topic can be affilated to mine
    In the meanwhile, does anyone have an P1 questions, or particular types of questions needing help on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    In the meanwhile, does anyone have an P1 questions, or particular types of questions needing help on?
    hehe, thanks for the generous offer, but im busy doing p3 now! no p1 revision for me til tuesday haha :P

(Original post by mik1a)
    I don't have a problem with proving the quadratic formula etc... but I can't actually remember how to prove the sum of AP's and GP's?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wow thanks. one on P2 would be even more appreciated... even if the exam is the 21... (edexcel)

(Original post by Taslima)
    hehe, thanks for the generous offer, but im busy doing p3 now! no p1 revision for me til tuesday haha :P
    Im meshing both into one big pure maths bag of fun. Should also revise for S1 on Friday but I can't be bothered, I've already got 80 so I figure I should try anf get my P1 as high as it will go rather than spreading myself too thinly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Im meshing both into one big pure maths bag of fun. Should also revise for S1 on Friday but I can't be bothered, I've already got 80 so I figure I should try anf get my P1 as high as it will go rather than spreading myself too thinly.
    did u gt 80 on S1 ? ohh my god u r so lucky i find it soo hard n ive gt it on friday too n i havet finished the syllabus yet

(Original post by tammypotato)
    did u gt 80 on S1 ? ohh my god u r so lucky i find it soo hard n ive gt it on friday too n i havet finished the syllabus yet
    I'm sure you'll be fine, Im only taking it on the off-chance that the paper is laughably easy. I can't remember how to draw histograms, create simultaneous equations for normal distribuitons given %'ages, conditional probability ermm..... there's probably loads more I've forgotten but that all that springs to mind. Im going to spend all night on Thursday revising (after my exams on that day) in the hope that I can fluke a better score than last years 80.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll start some P1 by myself!

1. Given that a is a constant, and that:
    f(x) = 4ax² - 3x - 3a/x²
    Find, in terms of a:
    (a) f'(x)
    (b) f''(x)

2. Given the two equations:
    3^x = 27^(y-1)
    4^(x+2) = 2^(y+1)
    Find the values of x and y

3. Evaluate: (pi/0){ 3x - 2 dx, giving your answer to 3 significant figures.

4. A series has first term 1.1. The sum of the first 100 terms is 19044. Find:
    (a) The common difference, when the series is arithmetic
    (b) The common ratio, when the series is geometric.

5. Find, to one decimal place, the possible values if theta if:
    0 < theta < 360
    2cos² theta - cos theta - 1 = sin² theta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be fine, Im only taking it on the off-chance that the paper is laughably easy. I can't remember how to draw histograms, create simultaneous equations for normal distribuitons given %'ages, conditional probability ermm..... there's probably loads more I've forgotten but that all that springs to mind. Im going to spend all night on Thursday revising (after my exams on that day) in the hope that I can fluke a better score than last years 80.
    ive gt P3 on thusrsday 2chemitry n 1 english on thursday s1 on friday .....
    so im having 3 nights without sleeping!!!

ReputationRep:
    great...thanx

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where I'll be able to find some p3 exercises, and solutions, online? There are some great exercises here (http://www.ajimal.com/download/alevel/main2.htm) but no solutions (at least I can't find any) so its difficult to see if I'm getting them right. Obviously stuff like partial fractions is easy to check, but some other topics aren't.

Looking for p3 exercises, preferably grouped by topic area, with solutions. Hopefully loads of them that I can print out and do; not some interactive javascript crap.

(Original post by mik1a)
    Ok I'll start some P1 by myself!

1. Given that a is a constant, and that:
    f(x) = 4ax² - 3x - 3a/x²
    Find, in terms of a:
    (a) f'(x)
    (b) f''(x)
    I've given up on P3 for today so I'm going to do them to make sure I can still do P1....

f'(x) = 8ax - 3 + 6a/x^3
    f''(x) = 8a - 18a/x^4

(Original post by a_r)
    Does anyone know where I'll be able to find some p3 exercises, and solutions, online? There are some great exercises here (http://www.ajimal.com/download/alevel/main2.htm) but no solutions (at least I can't find any) so its difficult to see if I'm getting them right. Obviously stuff like partial fractions is easy to check, but some other topics aren't.

Looking for p3 exercises, preferably grouped by topic area, with solutions. Hopefully loads of them that I can print out and do; not some interactive javascript crap.

http://www.nelsonthornes.com/seconda.../html/home.htm

ReputationRep:
    I've given up on P3 for today so I'm going to do them to make sure I can still do P1....

f'(x) = 8ax - 3 + 6a/x^3
    f''(x) = 8a - 18a/x^4
    (a) 8ax - 3 +6a/(x^3)
    (b) 8a - 18a/(x^4)

Snap!

ReputationRep:

Thanks, Leekey; looks good.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of marks (out of 75) is an A or B or C in P1.
    Also in P2 and S1, if any1 knows

ReputationRep:
    eep! i got horrible answers for #2 :/

y = -0.43
    x = -1.29

oops.. mistake made

i gots :

y = -0.86
    x = -1.07

gyah.. just as bad :P

(Original post by Da-Dapper)
    what kind of marks (out of 75) is an A or B or C in P1.
    Also in P2 and S1, if any1 knows
    Usually about 62 for P1 and S1. Usually about 60 for P2.

ReputationRep:
    is that 4 an A? u know 4 a B or C?

Cheers

(Original post by Da-Dapper)
    is that 4 an A? u know 4 a B or C?

Cheers
    Yeah they were for an A. For a B you will be looking at about 55/56 maybe a mark or two less for P2. For a C you would be looking at about 46/47 again maybe a fraction less in P2.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2007

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.