Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's no use mockel don't waste your time.. this guy has multiple accounts don't bother wasting ur points

This guy is famous for making multiple accounts and up-ing himself in his own ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydream)
    It's no use mockel don't waste your time.. this guy has multiple accounts don't bother wasting ur points

This guy is famous for making multiple accounts and up-ing himself in his own ass.
    u must be saying that to urself, dr. fluffy.

ReputationRep:
    guys, i know who daydream is. he is Fluffy.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: omg! how did u find out?!
    are u an idiot? just because you make multiple accounts and up urself in the ass doesn't mean other people do that

ReputationRep:

it was my points, and i'm not mockel.
    this thread is for P1 and P1 only, can we stop chatting rubbish and talk P1. the exam is in less than 48 hours!

Factorising comes out a lot in the exam and i never know which 2 numbers to put in the brackets (x-?) (x+?) if you know what i mean. any tips?
    for example if you got x^2+7x-12. i could get the answer after trial and error but i do not want to be using this method. please help

ReputationRep:
    Factorising is all trial and error..... u put numbers in and see if they multiply out correctly.. there's no other way to do it.. to get better at it it's jus practising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    Factorising comes out a lot in the exam and i never know which 2 numbers to put in the brackets (x-?) (x+?) if you know what i mean. any tips?
    for example if you got x^2+7x-12. i could get the answer after trial and error but i do not want to be using this method. please help
    there is a method, but i don't know it, because i never bother to use it.
    with factorising, you just have to think of all the possiblities of multiplying two numbers to make the constant, and adding them in some way to make the 'x' term.
    so for example:
    1 & 12 (obviously won't work)
    2 & 6 (no way of making 7)
    3 & 4 (can make 7, but no combination to make "-12")

so you would have to use the formula...

ReputationRep:
    Factorising is all trial and error..... u put numbers in and see if they multiply out correctly.. there's no other way to do it.. to get better at it it's jus practising
    oh really i thought there was a method or something, so some people are just good caus theyre familiar with certain numbers etc.
    but my teacher was sayin something like they should add to give blah blah blah and multiply to give bleh bleh bleh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    there is a method, but i don't know it, because i never bother to use it.
    with factorising, you just have to think of all the possiblities of multiplying two numbers to make the constant, and adding them in some way to make the 'x' term.
    so for example:
    1 & 12 (obviously won't work)
    2 & 6 (no way of making 7)
    3 & 4 (can make 7, but no combination to make "-12")

so you would have to use the formula...
    if you have to find the values of x, do u tend to factorise or use the quadratic formula? even if someone factorised perfectly i would still wanna use the quadratic formula

ReputationRep:
    :eek: omg! how did u find out?!
    are u an idiot? just because you make multiple accounts and up urself in the ass doesn't mean other people do that
    u finally admit it eh? wt do u mean by multiple? i hav only 1 other acc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    if you have to find the values of x, do u tend to factorise or use the quadratic formula? even if someone factorised perfectly i would still wanna use the quadratic formula
    i only use the quadratic formula if i have to, i.e. i can't think straight, or there are no 'nice' factors.
    but i think it's just because i seem to be quite good with keeping numbers in my head....i know lots of others who use the formula straight away without wasting any time, so it really doesn't matter......as long as you get the right answer in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    I used to prefer quadratics before as well.. but now i prefer fractorise because it's much faster I do the way mockel does it.. only if the constant is small. when it gets large there's too many possibilities so i use quad

ReputationRep:
    i only use the quadratic formula if i have to, i.e. i can't think straight, or there are no 'nice' factors.
    but i think it's just because i seem to be quite good with keeping numbers in my head....i know lots of others who use the formula straight away without wasting any time, so it really doesn't matter......as long as you get the right answer in the end
    ok thanks, in the formula the -b, say you have b=6 do you put it in the formula as -6, and say if b=-6 would you put it in as -6 or 6?

ReputationRep:
    I used to prefer quadratics before as well.. but now i prefer fractorise because it's much faster I do the way mockel does it.. only if the constant is small. when it gets large there's too many possibilities so i use quad
    yeah i do the same, but usually if it's a large one, they usually make the constant something like 51, so it's more obvious which numbers to use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ok thanks, in the formula the -b, say you have b=6 do you put it in the formula as -6, and say if b=-6 would you put it in as -6 or 6?
    b=6, then -b would be -6
    b=-6, then -b = 6

ReputationRep:
    b=6, then -b would be -6
    b=-6, then -b = 6
    ok cheers.
    so what numbers would be used if the constant was 51?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ok cheers.
    so what numbers would be used if the constant was 51?
    only factors: 1 & 51 (highly unlikely for a factorisation)
    so, 3 & 17

ReputationRep:
    yah in P1 they tend to use nice fractoriseable numbers like 12 and stuff.. either that or they dun at all so need quad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    KOH I alreadyt answered your question. If you don't understand a trigonometry question, best thing is to draw the graph and have another look at what you're trying to get. Sometimes you can even guess, and check if you're right with your calculator.

Thnks mike, didnt relise you answerd it, havent been online to much! revising my Bio.... thnks anyway~

ReputationRep:
    daydream, u know who u r!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 25, 2007
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.