The Student Room Group

What do you do with the SJA Cadets?

I am thinking of registering as a St Johns Ambulence cadet, and I am aware of the process to become one. However, their website isn't all the descriptive as to what you do during meetings and how the process works to gain certificates/qualifications. Another question I have is if the St John's Ambulance's program is worth it? And how time consuming is it? If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!
Hi,
SJA cadets are really great fun if you're really into helping people and learning new things, It also looks great on applications! So generally as a cadet you complete lots of different modules, much like a scout or brownie will complete badges, and eventually they will start adding up to you attaining the Grand Prior award, as you accumulate the completed modules you'll achieve different levels of awards, bronze, silver and gold, that then leads into the Grand Prior.
The modules are really varied, obviously you have your first aid module, there's arts and crafts, casualty simulation; which is amazing, you learn how to create fake wounds on yourself/ each other- a really necessary skill for rocking halloween after! There is also learning about radio communications, as you would do on duty, a really great transferable skill! I also had the opportunity to start learning sign language at my cadet unit, which is such a great skill to have! There are a few modules where you can look into the history of SJA and so many more, but it's pretty similar to the system used by the scouts/brownies.
One thing you get with SJA cadets that you don't with the Scouts/Brownies is that once you've achieved your cadet first aid, you can go out onto duties with the adult members and potentially help give first aid with their supervision. It's an amazing volunteering experience as you can provide local community support and learn/ develop communication skills and get experience treating people.
What is it that makes you want to take part in SJA? Do you have any Ideas about what you'd like to do in your future?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! I was interested in participating in more activities outside school and remembered that someone had once mentioned to me the cadets, so I googled it and read all the information provided on the St Johns Ambulance website and decided it looked like something I'd be interested in. I'm not sure about what I'd like to do in the future, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending