Poll: University of lancaster or University of york for economics?
Lancaster (22)
39.29%
York (34)
60.71%
Bustamove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As the title states....
Both unis have offered me a place for adjustment into their uni but I can't seem to decide between them. I haven't visited both these uni's yet but from the pictures, they both look like really nice unis...

After looking at the league tables, lancaster seems to do better than York and it also has one of the best business schools in the UK... however, the university of York does seems to have a better reputation and will maybe have more contacts? I'm not really sure and I'd like to hear opinions about both these unis...

help?
Bustamove
Rep:
?
bump
OrionMusicNet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bustamove)
As the title states....
Both unis have offered me a place for adjustment into their uni but I can't seem to decide between them. I haven't visited both these uni's yet but from the pictures, they both look like really nice unis...

After looking at the league tables, lancaster seems to do better than York and it also has one of the best business schools in the UK... however, the university of York does seems to have a better reputation and will maybe have more contacts? I'm not really sure and I'd like to hear opinions about both these unis...

help?
I would say that based on reputation + the fact that York is a Russel group uni it could be argued to be a better choice. I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to give advice though as I am going based off of very little information and don't know either uni very well although I have heard more about york than lancaster.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by OrionMusicNet)
I would say that based on reputation + the fact that York is a Russel group uni it could be argued to be a better choice. I would wait for someone more knowledgeable to give advice though as I am going based off of very little information and don't know either uni very well although I have heard more about york than lancaster.
After doing a bit of research, Lancaster has a better business school than York and the reason that Lancaster isn't that well heard of is because it's still quite a new university... but looking at the complete university guide...

The rankings are (overall/Economics):
Lancaster (9th/16th)
York (17th/18th)

Hmmm.... but on the other hand, York is more well known and has a high reputation and then again, league tables change all the time.... I also don't think York specializes too much on economics or business...
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you chosen yet? When do you have until to decide? It depends largely on what you want to do long-term, which university you prefer, and which course you prefer.

Personally I’d opt for York based on location, course offering and also department.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
Have you chosen yet? When do you have until to decide? It depends largely on what you want to do long-term, which university you prefer, and which course you prefer.

Personally I’d opt for York based on location, course offering and also department.
I have until monday 5pm... (tomorrow) LOL

I'm trying for nottingham economics tomorrow as the clearing/adjustment helpline is not open in the weekend.. if I can't get nottingham tomorrow, I'd have to choose between the two by then...
ozzie2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
Hey, I went to look at York and Lancaster during the open days in the June and July. Based on the campus I preferred Lancaster over York as there seemed to be more there and more modern, York seemed a little dated to me and there wasn't really a proper Student Union as far as I'm aware. Even though Lancaster is not a Russel Group university it is still very well respected and when I spoke to someone, they consider themselves as good as a mid-Russel Group university.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
I don't know, I still haven't decided yet and I have until 5pm to decide.... I visited Lancaster university for a clearing open day but I missed the department talks as it took 4 hours by train to get there....So I didn't get a proper feel of the management department.. There were also no students around as well so I didn't get a proper feel of the university and the town was really really dead.. I have a feeling it's because all the students were away.... And it takes around 4 hours to get from london to lancaster....

but on the other hand, accommodation in lancaster is beautiful and so is the town's architecture.....

I didn't get the opportunity to visit university of York as their clearing open day is on tuesday (after my adjustment deadline).... So all I've done is looking at photos on google so if anyone can give me an insight to university of York, it would be greatly appreciated...
cacra
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As the title states....

help?
Lancaster was my insurance and its business school was very good and the economovs course very interesting.

Lancaster is the better university and has the better course.

Being in the rg does not make York a better uni than lancaster.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by cacra)
Lancaster was my insurance and its business school was very good and the economovs course very interesting.

yes.. that's true... Lancaster does have a really good business school but there are also other concerns that I have regarding lancaster... After visiting it on the clearing/open day, it feels like lancaster is isolated... I'm from London and I guess I'm not used to being in the country side....

I didn't get the chance to visit York, so I can't really tell much about it... agh.. decisions, decisions....
cacra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes.. that's true... Lancaster does have a really good business school but there are also other concerns that I have regarding lancaster... After visiting it on the clearing/open day, it feels like lancaster is isolated... I'm from London and I guess I'm not used to being in the country side....

I didn't get the chance to visit York, so I can't really tell much about it... agh.. decisions, decisions....
Yeah the night life is pretty crap from what i heard.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by cacra)
Yeah the night life is pretty crap from what i heard.
I really wish lancaster and york gave me more time to decide... Would have helped if I had the opportunity to visit both....
Kash24411
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lancaster has the better business school and that's what matters.
NikolaT
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cacra)

Literally came onto this thread to say exactly this, it was my insurance, course is good, LUMS is well known etc etc
Bustamove
Rep:
?
damn.. the poll shows that it's even.... Ugh.. I really can't decide... Can those who vote university of york tell me why I should choose york over lancaster? or give me an insight into what York university is like? I want to make an informed decision and I didn't get a chance to visit york... Don't want to end up making a mistake and regretting my decision....

Anyone know what the uni life is like in both lancaster and york? I didn't get to visit in june, and only visited lancaster on a clearing day, and even then there were no students so I didn't get a proper vibe from the place.....
Bustamove
Rep:
?
I called university of Lancaster... I got an extension until Wednesday to decide... still cannot come to a decision... *sigh*
EdCohen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I called university of Lancaster... I got an extension until Wednesday to decide... still cannot come to a decision... *sigh*
York

DO NOT GO THERE.

TOO MANY DUCKS.

NO NIGHTCLUBS.

LOTS OF PRETENTIOUS WHITE PEOPLE.

NO YORK.

TRUST MEEEEE!!!

Choose Lancaster.
Bustamove
Rep:
?
(Original post by EdCohen)
York

DO NOT GO THERE.

TOO MANY DUCKS.

NO NIGHTCLUBS.

LOTS OF PRETENTIOUS WHITE PEOPLE.

NO YORK.

TRUST MEEEEE!!!

Choose Lancaster.
LOL
I went to lancaster... there are also too many ducks and not really any night clubs...

Not sure about the number of "pretentious white people" as I didn't see any students there.....
Kathiye
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be slightly way of most responses in here, given Lancaster and York's famous rivalry.

I can't speak for the courses themselves, but I go to Lancaster and I've visited York for Roses (the sports competition between the two). I definitely prefer Lancaster's campus - it feels a lot more friendly, each college has a bar which you can go to hang out in and puts on events in it. There's also a Greggs, Subway, and an ice cream shop, all of which York was sadly lacking The societies selection is really good and the accommodation is consistently rated best in the country. There are also a lot of nice little touches e.g. mini herb/vegetable gardens that you can pick stuff from. I'm not much of a clubber, but there are a few clubs in town, including one owned by the Students' Union. I won't deny that the town is a bit small and can be a bit quiet - it's definitely not London, but I like it. There are better shops/cafes than where I come from, at least!

I don't know York very well, but it seems to be closer to the centre of York than Lancaster is to Lancaster. Also, since York's a bit of a tourist attraction there's a better selection of shops and restaurants (and a lovely ice cream shop in the town). I'm not sure if this extends to nightlife, though, and I can't speak for all of the other factors I mentioned at Lancaster except the campus.
ChrisKnott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think i have anything to add because most stuff has already been said. But if you do pick Lancaster message me cos I'm doing economics too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads