The Student Room Group

University of York or University of Lancaster for Economics?

Scroll to see replies

My friend has been going through the very same ordeal you have found yourself to be in. However, after much consideration he decided to go Royal Holloway instead. Or was it Surrey? I can't remember off the top of my head. Best of luck in the future with whichever university you FINALLY decide on. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by A level sufferer
Ignoring the various departments and their rankings, Have you actually looked at the course and seen what interests you and which course gives you more flexibility. Theres no point York having the better department if all their modules are compulsory and ones that you tend not to like or do well in. Look more at the courses as both Uni's are of a good standard so niggling over reputation may be detracting from the important factors

Just had a look at the courses now... They're both pretty much the same in terms of the compulsory subjects... York university website seems to show a clearer break down of the course rather than the lancaster university website, but they are both pretty much the same...
the only difference is that York has a few more modules to choose from in second and third year compared to Lancaster university....

I still haven't decided what I want to do after my degree, so i'm not entirely sure what I want to pick in my second or third year....

Think I'm may end up basing my choice on facilities, reputation and uni life.... im gonna try to come to a decision by 3pm...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bustamove
Just had a look at the courses now... They're both pretty much the same in terms of the compulsory subjects... York university website seems to show a clearer break down of the course rather than the lancaster university website, but they are both pretty much the same...
the only difference is that York has a few more modules to choose from in second and third year compared to Lancaster university....

I still haven't decided what I want to do after my degree, so i'm not entirely sure what I want to pick in my second or third year....

Think I'm may end up basing my choice on facilities, reputation and uni life.... im gonna try to come to a decision by 3pm...

Seems like whatever choice you go for, there wont be an opportunity cost :^_^:, I cant think of any other thing to look into tbh, Good luck with your decision :smile:
Reply 63
I tried to make a list to decide which one to choose.... Still stuck between these two universities...

Lancaster
Advantages
-better accommodation
-better facilities (newer and more modern)
-Renowned management school (department of economics part of LUMS)

Disadvantages
-Not as high rep/prestige as york
-Far from the town lancaster and the town itself is tiny. May feel isolated

York
Advantages
-Better reputation may lead to better prospects?
-Located closer to city. City of york is way better than lancaster, not as isolated
-department also slightly better... Compulsory modules at york is pretty much the same as lancaster, but with a few extra modules to choose from in 2nd and 3rd year

Disadvantages
-End up with really bad accommodation (as I'm in clearing now)
-Facilities are not as new/modern as lancaster (in my opinion, well from what I can tell when I visited)

First year at both courses at both unis do not count to the overall degree....Still can't figure out which uni to choose and I have till 5pm to decide today... :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
I was the same as you but between York and Manchester for Economics, and picked York. The city is amazing and it does have a good reputation. York also has a new sports village which looks decent. I applied for accommodation a couple of days ago and got offered Vanbrugh. Not terrible, not great. They do have few places left but it's worth finding out what they can give you- you still get to put all your priorities down and there did seem to be a lot of choices left. Well, variety at least.

It's true that Lancaster is a great Business school, but in terms of Economics I'm not sure it has the reputation.

Good luck with your decision!
I tried to make a list to decide which one to choose.... Still stuck between these two universities...

Lancaster
Advantages
-better accommodation
-better facilities (newer and more modern)
-Renowned management school (department of economics part of LUMS)

Disadvantages
-Not as high rep/prestige as york
-Far from the town lancaster and the town itself is tiny. May feel isolated

York
Advantages
-Better reputation may lead to better prospects?
-Located closer to city. City of york is way better than lancaster, not as isolated
-department also slightly better... Compulsory modules at york is pretty much the same as lancaster, but with a few extra modules to choose from in 2nd and 3rd year

Disadvantages
-End up with really bad accommodation (as I'm in clearing now)
-Facilities are not as new/modern as lancaster (in my opinion, well from what I can tell when I visited)

First year at both courses at both unis do not count to the overall degree....Still can't figure out which uni to choose and I have till 5pm to decide today... :frown:

Based on your list of pros & cons, I fail to see why you are struggling so much between the two.

I personally don't value newer facilities/ better accommodation against a better night life, proximity to town centre and graduate prospects/university reputation.
Reply 66
Original post by Revise1234
Based on your list of pros & cons, I fail to see why you are struggling so much between the two.

I personally don't value newer facilities/ better accommodation against a better night life, proximity to town centre and graduate prospects/university reputation.

actually, not entirely sure about the graduate prospects... they seem to be varying all the time... Just looked at the league tables and this year, lancaster has slightly higher graduate prospects than York uni according to the complete university guide...but then again, league table can be BS and I guess graduate employability depends on how well you do in your degree...

guess it's just deciding between newer facilities/better accommodation against slightly better night life/city.....
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Thank you everyone for their input...
**** it, I've decided to go to the university of york :smile:
This choice has stressed me out for days... but in the end, I choose york university due to the course having a few more modules to specialize in 2nd year and third year...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
This choice has stressed me out for days... but in the end, I choose york university due to the course having a few more modules to specialize in 2nd year and third year...

Grats! Just accepted accommodation so see you on the course.
Reply 69
actually, not entirely sure about the graduate prospects... they seem to be varying all the time... Just looked at the league tables and this year, lancaster has slightly higher graduate prospects than York uni according to the complete university guide...but then again, league table can be BS and I guess graduate employability depends on how well you do in your degree...

guess it's just deciding between newer facilities/better accommodation against slightly better night life/city.....

Yeah don't look at league tables for employability, they only look at the number employed regardless of whether they're working for McDonalds or Goldman Sachs :/

Congratz :biggrin: I didn't want to be too one sided earlier but having looked into them both about 12 months ago I would have gone for York 100%. Good luck with your course :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by 1338
x

Original post by Maxeth
Grats! Just accepted accommodation so see you on the course.

just waiting for them to accept me in clearing now.... awks if they reject me LOL.... they shouldnt do tho... they gave me a verbal offer and sent me an email with an offer and everything...

First: congratulations on choosing York!
Second: once you are officially a student at the University of York, I can tell you that you will never again call it "York uni". :wink:
Third: I wouldn't trust league tables. For instance, I intend to do law, and York is the 9th most occurring university at MC and other large London law firms. Lancaster, on the other hand, wasn't in the top 22 (which was as far as the list went).

My advice now is to join as many societies as you can, don't worry if you don't get along too well with your flat mates, and get wasted!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Revise1234
First: congratulations on chosing York!
Second: once you are officially a student at the University of York, I can tell you that you will never again call it "York uni". :wink:
Third: I wouldn't trust league tables. For instance, I intend to do law, and York is the 9th most occurring university at MC and other large London law firms. Lancaster, on the other hand, wasn't in the top 22 (which was as far as the list went).

My advice now is to join as many societies as you can, don't worry if you don't get along too well with your flat mates, and get wasted!

Thanks for you help :smile: and why do you not call it york uni if i may ask? is there another university called york uni which has a bad rep?

and Yup, I probably will get wasted xD
Thanks for you help :smile: and why do you not call it york uni if i may ask? is there another university called york uni which has a bad rep?

and Yup, I probably will get wasted xD

Yep. It's in Canada. But it's not necessarily a "bad" uni. It just isn't the York we know lol.

As has been said, that is somewhat of a no brainer, a lecture theatre is a lecture theatre, a seminar room is a seminar room, and all you get anywhere near needing your accommodation for is eating, sleeping and copulating

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woop woop, all aboard the York hype train! Congrats, you'll have a great time :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Pro Crastination
Woop woop, all aboard the York hype train! Congrats, you'll have a great time :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 77
Thanks! :smile:

York Econ is pretty damn tough.
Good luck!

In regards of graduate prospects, I know at York there seems to be a thing where they'd rather be unemployed than have a minimum wage job. Lord knows why, but I've seen that's the case.
If you work hard in year 1 and keep at it averaging 65+, there's very little going to hold you back (unless you're terrible at assessment centres.) What's even surprising to me is the number of kids at Big 4 accountancy firms and IB. Could be the same at Lancaster, but for some reason (probably due to past York reputation), employers seem to prefer York. Perhaps it's the whole traditional vs up and coming.
2 years later, and I find myself in the same predicament that you were in. thankfully I have 5 months to decide. How has York been for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending