The Student Room Group

Ok guys what do i do!!! Chemical engineering at sheffield or wait for imperial next y

I got A*A*A*A this year and i didnt expect to get that good so i might wait a year for imperial chemical engineering but i dont know if it was worth it to take a year out! What should i do?

In my year out I was thinking I could find a placement at a industry related to chemical engineering but I dont know if that is feasible for me! any advice? If there a significant difference between a chemical engineering degree at imperial and sheffield?

edit: also, i know there are interviews at imperial, are they hard to get through? I'm not great at interviews honestly
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
So, what have you decided?
I am also in the similar situation. I want to study chemical engineering.
The difference being that I couldn't get the grades to go to imperial which was my first choice. So thinking of accepting Sheffield instead of taking a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by Sycopation
I got A*A*A*A this year and i didnt expect to get that good so i might wait a year for imperial chemical engineering but i dont know if it was worth it to take a year out! What should i do?

In my year out I was thinking I could find a placement at a industry related to chemical engineering but I dont know if that is feasible for me! any advice? If there a significant difference between a chemical engineering degree at imperial and sheffield?

edit: also, i know there are interviews at imperial, are they hard to get through? I'm not great at interviews honestly

Go to Sheffield. If you still want Imperial, check if the department allows second year entry for their courses.
Reply 3
I think I will also go to Sheffield but haven't visited their chemical department. How is Sheffield?
Reply 4
Original post by mottu
I think I will also go to Sheffield but haven't visited their chemical department. How is Sheffield?

It's a great city to live in. Bonus on the engineering side is they're building a shiny new building due to be opened in September. I've heard a lot of good things about the engineering dept (i'm a chemist myself).

Accommodation is in a lovely area, and generally there's a very nice vibe around the city. Plenty of greenery, it's got enough going on (it is a city after all) although I don't think it feels too fast paced/busy like many cities do which makes it quite homely. University facilities tend to be quite decent all round which is nice.
Reply 5
Thanks, that would be really helpful. I am visiting the chemical engineering dept this Friday. Any idea about leavers destinations?
I am planning to do with a year in industry, what abt you?
Original post by mottu

Hey Mottu :smile:

You're going to love Sheffield, great city and more importantly outstanding University for the course you are going to study! Lot's of our residents who are living with us this September are studying the same course, it's very highly rated.
If you want any information about the City or our accommodation, please do not hesitate to get in touch at [email protected]. For our accommodation hotline, just call 02030961717.

Sophie :smile:
http://www.vitastudent.com/locations/sheffield/
Reply 7
Hi,

Can you recommend which would be a better place for accommodation ?

Thanks for yr help.
Original post by mottu
Hi,

Can you recommend which would be a better place for accommodation ?

Thanks for yr help.

Yes of course, what is it you're looking for in accommodation!

Vita Student Telephone House in Sheffield is only a short walk from the University (5 minutes at most). We offer affordable luxury studio apartments with absolutely everything included; All bills, 40 inch smart television and TV license, Weekday breakfasts, Your own designer kitchen with all appliances and utensils included, bedroom with bedding included, Gym membership, weekly cleaning service, 24/7 security and full use off all are communal facilities which include cinema room and study rooms which we will hold weekly events in (2 or 3 week).

Would you like me to send you some more information about our accommodation or arrange for you to have a Skype viewing or to come view Friday when you visit the University?

Sophie :smile:
http://www.vitastudent.com/locations/sheffield/

Quick Reply

Latest