The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You get one grade for A Level Maths and another for A Level Further Maths. 6 units in each..
Reply 2
superkillball
How to calculate the grade boundary for further maths?
do they add all 12 units' UMS marks up to meet 960 Marks?

Further maths is an A-level in itself, your grade is calculated based upon the modules you do for further maths which will be P4-6 and some applied: you get an A if the sum of these is greater than 480.
***Do note Doing P4,P5,P6 is not a requirement for FM A2.
You are allowed to do 2 out of the 3 (+ 4 other modules)
Reply 4
Also note that you cannot put for instance M2/S2 into one your A levels with out putting M1/S1 with it
you can
Reply 6
Mrm.
you can

lol urm...okay...not according to our exams officer...
Reply 7
Mrm.
***Do note Doing P4,P5,P6 is not a requirement for FM A2.
You are allowed to do 2 out of the 3 (+ 4 other modules)

Erm not with AQA

You have to do p1-3 for the a-level and p4-6 for the a-level in f.maths

It depends on the board!
Reply 8
you could always be adventurous and take more than 12...
Reply 9
Yannis
you could always be adventurous and take more than 12...

Yes, you have more flexablilty
chud
Erm not with AQA

You have to do p1-3 for the a-level and p4-6 for the a-level in f.maths

It depends on the board!

Ahh ok

Edexcel allow many combinations and it is indeed possible to omit P6.
They are in fact having a major overhaul for next year; the net result of which is that students only have to do 2 applied modules for single maths. I am a little disapponted by this as it will mean the end to M3 (and S3) for single maths students. I teach the M side of the applied section and do feel that students will miss out, M3 is a nice module, if you like maths it really is fun and gives a good initial insight into D.E.´s in a practical context.
The only possible upside is that we may be able to offer a nice FM as level for Eng. students with say FM1,FM2 and M3.
That aside Would it be sensible to have just one awarding body ? What to you think?
Mrm.
That aside Would it be sensible to have just one awarding body ? What to you think?

No. That woyld be bad. Very bad.
Reply 12
hornblower
No. That woyld be bad. Very bad.

why's that?
Reply 13
I took maths and further maths A-levels a year ago, with edexcel. THeir system was as follows:

To each qualification, assign the marks for all the core modules (eg P1, P2, P3 go to normal maths, etc.). Then take a look at all the rest of the modules. Work out what the highest possible grade for normal maths is, then assign the modules to it which achieve that grade with the least number of marks (e.g. if one combination of six modules would give you 543, and another would give you 482, they stick with the combination that gives you 482, because that's still an A). They then put everything else in further maths. I think the idea is to try to eliminate occurrences of people getting enough marks overall to get a particular pair of grades, but dropping grades in one of them because of the way they decided to enter themselves for their modules.
Reply 14
Yep. I'm pretty sure that's how they do it. on the spot there.

Latest