The next step after an apprenticeship

Watch
AbirM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm trying to plan for the future (my apprenticeship finishes in May next year, so it's a bit of a way ahead) as I don't want to land on my face when my apprenticeship ends. I have a really great job with a great company that's allowing me to do everything I expected. But I'm just not aware of what the next step may be.

I want to be a director and/or a writer for reviews but I'm unsure of what to do once my year ends. Where do I go? What should my CV/portfolio look like? What should I expect?

Any help would be great, thank you!
Jess & Nick RMA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AbirM)
I'm trying to plan for the future (my apprenticeship finishes in May next year, so it's a bit of a way ahead) as I don't want to land on my face when my apprenticeship ends. I have a really great job with a great company that's allowing me to do everything I expected. But I'm just not aware of what the next step may be.

I want to be a director and/or a writer for reviews but I'm unsure of what to do once my year ends. Where do I go? What should my CV/portfolio look like? What should I expect?

Any help would be great, thank you!
Hey AbirM,

It's good to see that you're thinking ahead and that you have an idea of what you want to do.

By writer of reviews, do you mean something similar to a critic who works for a newspaper or magazine? If that's the case, it's a good idea to contact some media organisations to ask them directly what it takes to get such a role. From my experience, the best way to break into a media career is to get some relevant work experience first, or start off in a junior role where you can learn the ropes. After a while you may be able to progress to doing reviews.

Another way that you can be proactive is by getting your name out there - start a blog or a website, do some reviews and decide what your style is, and promote yourself on Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. This will show that you are at least keen to put together a backlog of work, which you can show potential employers (or maybe they'll even discover you).

It can be a competitive industry, but those that start early and are proactive invariably go further. Also, there are some media sites that will accept guest submissions and articles (generally for free mind you) to offer you some exposure and official experience. In fact, at RateMyApprenticeship we're happy to accept good guest blogs if you fancy writing one.

Does that help?

RMA Nick
AbirM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jess & Nick RMA)
Hey AbirM,

It's good to see that you're thinking ahead and that you have an idea of what you want to do.

By writer of reviews, do you mean something similar to a critic who works for a newspaper or magazine? If that's the case, it's a good idea to contact some media organisations to ask them directly what it takes to get such a role. From my experience, the best way to break into a media career is to get some relevant work experience first, or start off in a junior role where you can learn the ropes. After a while you may be able to progress to doing reviews.

Another way that you can be proactive is by getting your name out there - start a blog or a website, do some reviews and decide what your style is, and promote yourself on Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. This will show that you are at least keen to put together a backlog of work, which you can show potential employers (or maybe they'll even discover you).

It can be a competitive industry, but those that start early and are proactive invariably go further. Also, there are some media sites that will accept guest submissions and articles (generally for free mind you) to offer you some exposure and official experience. In fact, at RateMyApprenticeship we're happy to accept good guest blogs if you fancy writing one.

Does that help?

RMA Nick
Thanks a lot! I have a blog for my reviews as well as a YouTube channel for vlogs/short films, so I think I have social media covered. The work experience part was very useful, too. I just would really like to be able to have some kind of income at the same time, you know?

But thanks a lot, this really helped!
Jess & Nick RMA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AbirM)
Thanks a lot! I have a blog for my reviews as well as a YouTube channel for vlogs/short films, so I think I have social media covered. The work experience part was very useful, too. I just would really like to be able to have some kind of income at the same time, you know?

But thanks a lot, this really helped!
You're welcome you might want to consider getting a part-time job that doesn't take a lot of your time up but will provide you with some income to see you through, while you spend the rest of your time working on your portfolio and other interests. That way you should be able to cover all bases.

RMA Nick
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (720)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (403)
18.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.37%

Watched Threads