The Student Room Group

Music Theatre as a Career Choice: Good or Bad?

A while back I went to LIPA university on an Open Day; the man at the podium said that there was no future for Musical theater, as it was getting too expensive and there wasn't an industry for that anymore. Which leads me to ask; if I wanted to study musical theater and make a job out of it, would it be possible?

I mean some of the universities that I am considering, currently offer the course, but the man's words have made me skeptical about my decisions...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, should I pursue it? Or should I leave it alone and pursue a different career/job of choice?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If it's what you really want to do, then go for it! Nothing should stop you from pursuing your dreams - if everyone listened to the advice given to them by teachers, the world would be a much worse place.
Original post by AlphaDaReese
A while back I went to LIPA university on an Open Day; the man at the podium said that there was no future for Musical theater, as it was getting too expensive and there wasn't an industry for that anymore. Which leads me to ask; if I wanted to study musical theater and make a job out of it, would it be possible?

I mean some of the universities that I am considering, currently offer the course, but the man's words have made me skeptical about my decisions...

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, should I pursue it? Or should I leave it alone and pursue a different career/job of choice?

I'm not expert on this topic but I'd really advise against it.

I don't know what sort of job in musical theatre you want, but becoming a performer is not easy and IMO that sort of risky thing should never be a career plan. Your career plan should be something you know you have a good shot at, and nobody can be confident of a good shot at that sort of thing.

If you're happy to work as a teacher, or something similarly stable, while trying out for performance - unless you have another kind of job in the theatre you're interested in, like PR or something - I'd say do that. But just please don't plan your life around the assumption or even the hope that you will make it, you might be setting yourself up for a fall.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'm not expert on this topic but I'd really advise against it.

I don't know what sort of job in musical theatre you want, but becoming a performer is not easy and IMO that sort of risky thing should never be a career plan. Your career plan should be something you know you have a good shot at, and nobody can be confident of a good shot at that sort of thing.

If you're happy to work as a teacher, or something similarly stable, while trying out for performance - unless you have another kind of job in the theatre you're interested in, like PR or something - I'd say do that. But just please don't plan your life around the assumption or even the hope that you will make it, you might be setting yourself up for a fall.

Ok yes I know what you mean in that regard and I take your point. However I am currently a Grade 8 singer. I've been told that I am versatile and have been singing ever since I was 5 practically. I can act or so I've been told and dancing - well I can learn choreography to an extant.

To be fair I'm not the triple threat by any means. But I have been encouraged by others...

Thanks anyway
Ok yes I know what you mean in that regard and I take your point. However I am currently a Grade 8 singer. I've been told that I am versatile and have been singing ever since I was 5 practically. I can act or so I've been told and dancing - well I can learn choreography to an extant.

To be fair I'm not the triple threat by any means. But I have been encouraged by others...

Thanks anyway

Okay, that's great, but there are plenty of grade 8 singers in the world. I don't want to be mean, but you can mill around outside any famous drama school and you will find them coming out of the walls. It is your decision but I just recommend caution.

Good luck with whatever you do!
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Okay, that's great, but there are plenty of grade 8 singers in the world. I don't want to be mean, but you can mill around outside any famous drama school and you will find them coming out of the walls. It is your decision but I just recommend caution.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Okay then, thanks. I will keep that in mind.

On the positive side...

In February my wife and I saw a performance of Sweet Charity at RADA. The best performers were Sally Messham in the title role and Jaygann Ayeh as Daddy Brubeck who did a brilliant Rhythm of Life. We marked them out as possible future stars. Messham has just won the lead role in a new musical production of Tipping The Velvet at the Lyric, and Ayeh is now part of Kenneth Branagh's repertory company. So it can be done.

On the negative side...

It's only their first step on the ladder, plus some of the cast won't get very far. So be aware and have alternative plans.
Original post by ageshallnot
On the positive side...

In February my wife and I saw a performance of Sweet Charity at RADA. The best performers were Sally Messham in the title role and Jaygann Ayeh as Daddy Brubeck who did a brilliant Rhythm of Life. We marked them out as possible future stars. Messham has just won the lead role in a new musical production of Tipping The Velvet at the Lyric, and Ayeh is now part of Kenneth Branagh's repertory company. So it can be done.

On the negative side...

It's only their first step on the ladder, plus some of the cast won't get very far. So be aware and have alternative plans.

Ah okay, if I couldn't perform in it - I'd happily compose any soundtracks for new musicals (unlikely to happen I know, but yeah) If I couldn't do that, then I would try to write my own... But the reason as to why I chose this? Well it's because it's my talent, my strength. Performing is basically in my blood/DNA.
Ah okay, if I couldn't perform in it - I'd happily compose any soundtracks for new musicals (unlikely to happen I know, but yeah) If I couldn't do that, then I would try to write my own... But the reason as to why I chose this? Well it's because it's my talent, my strength. Performing is basically in my blood/DNA.

Then go for it. Which unis/courses are you considering?
Original post by ageshallnot
Then go for it. Which unis/courses are you considering?

BA Hons Music Theatre course at UCLan, Edge Hill, Liverpool Hope and Bath Spa.
BA Hons Music Theatre course at UCLan, Edge Hill, Liverpool Hope and Bath Spa.

OK, I don't know much about those unis/courses TBH. Good luck!

Hi AlphaDaReese,

You're absolutely right to consider your options and think about how your choice of university course will help you gain a career, but my most important piece of advice would be to not let anyone put you off pursuing your passion!

Firstly I would say that it's simply not true that there's no industry for musical theatre any more. All major cities are still making a killing on the big productions at their big theatres, and this is just in the UK! There is absolutely still an appetite for live performance, and this is only one aspect of the industry.

The reality is that breaking into the performance industry is difficult - it is going to take a lot more work to gain a career in this industry than in accounting or retail, for example. But if it's your passion, it's worth the extra work to get a career you will love than spending the majority of your life doing something you're not interested in. The other thing to bear in mind is that a university degree isn't a guarantee of a career as a performer, but to succeed in this industry you need a network of industry contacts as well as the technical and professional skills - you are highly unlikely to build up all of this by yourself without going to a university/conservatoire with good industry links and experienced staff.

Our Musical Theatre degree at Weston College (which is awarded by Bath Spa - so may be the course you were referring to) covers all aspects of the industry. Many of our graduates have gained roles in big London productions or overseas productions, but this isn't the only option. Many others have forged careers as cruise ship entertainers, dance teachers, singing teachers, and freelance performers for weddings, adverts etc. Of course not all graduates will gain a strictly related career. Some of our graduates have gone on to graduate roles in university admissions for example, which isn't the kind of job you'd think of if you thought musical theatre! But a lot of the transferable skills from studying a performance-related subject are relevant - public speaking, team work, flexibility. And they don't regret studying the course because it was something they loved, and that's the most important thing when going to university is to do a subject you're genuinely passionate about.

I hope this helps and if you did want to know any more about the Bath Spa Musical Theatre degree which is taught at Weston College, just let me know and I'd be happy to help :smile:

- Aislinn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending