YousefB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm looking to study Mechanical Engineering, and I hold a place at Leeds. I really like the feel of Leeds, including the campus, the nightlife, and the numerous different types people and societies. This appeals to me because I'd consider myself quite outgoing and sociable, I guess! The course is, as you all probably know, pretty similar to every other uni except Oxbridge. My offer was A*AA but I've managed to go way over that and have ended up with 3 A*s, and now I'm wondering whether to re apply to Imperial or maybe even Cambridge, although they're both places I feel like I might not fit in, despite their amazing reputation for engineering.

The other issue is that I would have to take a gap year in order to reapply, and I don't really know what I'd do in that year. I would much prefer to go straight into uni life, unless the wait to get to Imperial/Cambridge really is worth it.

I'm grateful for any advice you can give, especially if you're someone who has experience of any of the three unis. I have had enough people who don't know about any of the unis tell me that I should definitely go to Imperial because of its better reputation!

Thank you.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by YousefB)
I'm looking to study Mechanical Engineering, and I hold a place at Leeds. I really like the feel of Leeds, including the campus, the nightlife, and the numerous different types people and societies. This appeals to me because I'd consider myself quite outgoing and sociable, I guess! The course is, as you all probably know, pretty similar to every other uni except Oxbridge. My offer was A*AA but I've managed to go way over that and have ended up with 3 A*s, and now I'm wondering whether to re apply to Imperial or maybe even Cambridge, although they're both places I feel like I might not fit in, despite their amazing reputation for engineering.

The other issue is that I would have to take a gap year in order to reapply, and I don't really know what I'd do in that year. I would much prefer to go straight into uni life, unless the wait to get to Imperial/Cambridge really is worth it.

I'm grateful for any advice you can give, especially if you're someone who has experience of any of the three unis. I have had enough people who don't know about any of the unis tell me that I should definitely go to Imperial because of its better reputation!

Thank you.
If you like the idea of going to Oxbridge or Imperial appeals to you more than starting your career in engineering sooner rather than later, it's worth taking a gap year and reapplying. If you don't want to waste a year before you begin your engineering career then it's not worth taking a gap year and reapplying.

Only you can decide this.
bigboateng
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bare in mind that getting into Oxbridge or imperial is not just about getting 3A*'s. I know someone who got 5A*s, had work experience at NASA and still got rejected from Cambridge. But I do agree 3A*'s is too much for Leeds. Also do you think you'll be able to hang on your maths and physics knowledge for another year for entry exams at Oxbridge or imperial? If not I'd rather just use adjustments and not waste another year

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32.52%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.57%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.88%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
23.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.63%

Watched Threads