The Student Room Group

Nutrition and Dietetics applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

I chose Surrey as it was closet to home for me(2 hours away) but also I really liked the campus it felt right for me. The accommodation is variable depending on where you are, my accommodation is 7 sharing with 2 showers and 2 toilets and 1 kitchen and its a decent size, but a little dated. I was so nervous for the interviews but I felt they went well, just make sure your clear as to why ou want to be a dietician and be prepared for random tasks which test you people skills
Original post by Serotonin88
Oh ok, thank you! I thought since the PDF talked about MMIs, there wouldn't be individual interviews. But if there are both, even better. I suppose it would be good to know a bit about paramedics/nursing/midwifery, in case the MMI scenarios focus on any of those roles.
Thanks again :smile:

Thank you for wanting to help!! :biggrin:
I was wondering if you could tell us a bit about the interviews/interview day, and whether you have any top tips for the interview.
Is there anything specific that we should know, aside from our personal statement, the role of a dietician and NHS values, etc?

Thank you, and hope you're liking it at Surrey!

The interview days varied from place to place, try to have a solid answer about why you want to be a dietician, and also be willing and ready to do tasks you weren't expecting, in one interview as a group we were set the task of coming up with superhero names and powers to save the world! Try and just breathe throughout the interview and not stress, if you slip up try and remain calm, and at the end of the day if you don't know the answer to a certain question(some interviewers will go quite in depth in your nutrition knowledge) its ok, as one of my interviewers said your here to learn tat stuff so its ok

Good luck :smile:
Original post by surrey1996
The interview days varied from place to place, try to have a solid answer about why you want to be a dietician, and also be willing and ready to do tasks you weren't expecting, in one interview as a group we were set the task of coming up with superhero names and powers to save the world! Try and just breathe throughout the interview and not stress, if you slip up try and remain calm, and at the end of the day if you don't know the answer to a certain question(some interviewers will go quite in depth in your nutrition knowledge) its ok, as one of my interviewers said your here to learn tat stuff so its ok

Good luck :smile:

Fantastic, thank you sooo much! Wow, superhero names? That's something I haven't heard or thought of before - thanks for letting me know! I'm really looking forward to the interview, and I will definitely take your advice to stay calm :biggrin:

Thanks again!
I'm probably being very annoying now, and I'm sorry about that, but I wanted to ask you all another question; do you guys have an idea about what sort of writing style the unis are looking for when writing the literacy tests? Is it supposed to be creative, or just honest and descriptive?

Well done and good luck to all who have interviews/offers :biggrin:
When I had my interviews etc last year only surrey had tests on the interview day and for the literacy we had to re write out a passage that we were given correcting any spelling grammar etc
Original post by surrey1996
When I had my interviews etc last year only surrey had tests on the interview day and for the literacy we had to re write out a passage that we were given correcting any spelling grammar etc

Awesome, thank you! Doesn't sound too bad/difficult, should be ok :smile:
Thanks for your help!
Hey people! I'm 17, studying btec applied science medical pathway l3 extended diploma. I've achieved D*D* in my first year.

I'm applying for biomedical science , biochemistry and Dietetics. Applying Dietetics at uni of notts and Coventry uni.

Never Heard Of This Course before but after researching and shadowing a RD I loved it!
Heyy, I've applied to Nottingham too, for the Nutrition BSc. Did you visit Sutton Bonnington Campus while you were at the open day? I really loved Nottingham as a city and the University Park campus, but the SB campus really threw me off to be honest! Didn't realise it was so far away from the city itself.
Original post by princessrubicon
Heyy, I've applied to Nottingham too, for the Nutrition BSc. Did you visit Sutton Bonnington Campus while you were at the open day? I really loved Nottingham as a city and the University Park campus, but the SB campus really threw me off to be honest! Didn't realise it was so far away from the city itself.

You mean you applied for Nutrition and dietetics?
anyways unfortunately I couldn't attend the open day... so I dunno how the campus looks but I assume it's not bad! Yh I hate it that SB is far too 😡
Original post by Uz25
You mean you applied for Nutrition and dietetics?
anyways unfortunately I couldn't attend the open day... so I dunno how the campus looks but I assume it's not bad! Yh I hate it that SB is far too 😡

I've applied for the Nutrition BSc there. The Dietetics (MNutr) course there is super competitive. Plus, I really want to study abroad for a semester or a year, which you can't do on the Dietetics course, because the work experience has to be within the UK. I think I would prefer to explore the different career paths I could take via Nutrition before I decide if I want to be a Dietitian. If I do want to, I plan on applying for a Masters in Dietetics when I graduate. :h:

Yeah, it took about 20-30 minutes to get there from the University Park campus...
It's literally in the middle of nowhere, I'm from the countryside already so I really want to be near the city haha!
Original post by princessrubicon
I've applied for the Nutrition BSc there. The Dietetics (MNutr) course there is super competitive. Plus, I really want to study abroad for a semester or a year, which you can't do on the Dietetics course, because the work experience has to be within the UK. I think I would prefer to explore the different career paths I could take via Nutrition before I decide if I want to be a Dietitian. If I do want to, I plan on applying for a Masters in Dietetics when I graduate. :h:

Yeah, it took about 20-30 minutes to get there from the University Park campus...
It's literally in the middle of nowhere, I'm from the countryside already so I really want to be near the city haha!

Cool 😊😉
Hi ya I have got an interview with Hertfordshire for dietetics. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how to prepare for the interview as I am really nervous about it especially the group interview and the individual interview. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
I have applied for:
Kings College London
Surrey
Nottingham
Leeds Beckett
and Chester

I sent my application off 4th November but I've only heard back from one University so far. I unfortunately got rejected from KCL due to my chemistry predicted grade not being high enough for them despite the special considerations letter

I already have A levels in Applied Science, Food Technology and Biology which I got an AAB for. I'm currently studying Chemistry A2, Health and Social Care AS and an EPQ and retaking one of my A2 biology and one of my AS chemistry exams.

I've tried to do a lot to get experience and find out more e.g. I went to two dietetic open days, job shadowed 2 types of Dietitians, I try to go to events (e.g. I am going to FoodMattersLive) and I am a NHS senior Health Champion. It's all been very fun and I am so passionate but after being rejected from KCL I am getting really nervous as I've worked so hard and really hope I get some interviews (and offers) soon!
Original post by RDtobe
I have applied for:
Kings College London
Surrey
Nottingham
Leeds Beckett
and Chester

I sent my application off 4th November but I've only heard back from one University so far. I unfortunately got rejected from KCL due to my chemistry predicted grade not being high enough for them despite the special considerations letter

I already have A levels in Applied Science, Food Technology and Biology which I got an AAB for. I'm currently studying Chemistry A2, Health and Social Care AS and an EPQ and retaking one of my A2 biology and one of my AS chemistry exams.

I've tried to do a lot to get experience and find out more e.g. I went to two dietetic open days, job shadowed 2 types of Dietitians, I try to go to events (e.g. I am going to FoodMattersLive) and I am a NHS senior Health Champion. It's all been very fun and I am so passionate but after being rejected from KCL I am getting really nervous as I've worked so hard and really hope I get some interviews (and offers) soon!

Good luck I'm confused whether Dietetics is more Chem/ Biology based..
are there any boys on this thread? I was told that on this course the gender ratio is around 8:1
Original post by SophieLCx
are there any boys on this thread? I was told that on this course the gender ratio is around 8:1

I will be shocked if there ia
Original post by RDtobe
I have applied for:
Kings College London
Surrey
Nottingham
Leeds Beckett
and Chester

Thats brutal! sounds like you were a strong applicant as well :/ If you dont mind me asking, what were you predicted grades? Im starting to worry about my kcl application now :frown:
For the literacy and numeracy tests at Surrey next week, do any of you know what sort of calculator is allowed or appropriate? I own a standard casio scientific calculator, but I'm thinking about whether they would allow a scientific one... :s-smilie:
Original post by Serotonin88
For the literacy and numeracy tests at Surrey next week, do any of you know what sort of calculator is allowed or appropriate? I own a standard casio scientific calculator, but I'm thinking about whether they would allow a scientific one... :s-smilie:

You have a test?
Original post by Uz25
You have a test?

Yes :smile: A literacy test and numeracy test, or at least I think there will be!
I've read that you've applied to Coventry! Have you heard anything about their group interviews?

Good luck with your application and interviews :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest