The Student Room Group

What is the hardest A-level you've done and what is the easiest (by comparison)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lemushrooms
Good luck in September :biggrin:! What exam board did you do for psychology? Also, would you say the transition between AS maths and A-level maths is like the transition from GCSEs to AS (in other words huge), or did it go more smoothly i.e. were the modules similar in a sense. Same with psychology

A2 there's a step up but deffo not as bad as the GCSE to AS. Psychology I did AQA and never did at GCSE. For me Psychology was a swap about 10 weeks into the school year. I had never considered it before but it was by far my favourite
Original post by Rebeccalc988
easiest is psychology by far and hardest one that I did was history but English lit was a close second

I'm torn between history AS and English lit AS :s-smilie: but going by what everyone is saying, apparently both are one of the hardest AS/A2 levels aarrghh
Original post by Klatie
A2 there's a step up but deffo not as bad as the GCSE to AS. Psychology I did AQA and never did at GCSE. For me Psychology was a swap about 10 weeks into the school year. I had never considered it before but it was by far my favourite

I really hope my school will allow me to do psychology, bc it sounds great. Everyone else is also saying they enjoyed it. I guess it's because it's much more intriguing learning about human behaviour/mind compared to the splitting of atoms hehe :smile:
Reply 63
I really hope my school will allow me to do psychology, bc it sounds great. Everyone else is also saying they enjoyed it. I guess it's because it's much more intriguing learning about human behaviour/mind compared to the splitting of atoms hehe :smile:

Yeah 100% aha.
Hardest: Economics
Easiest : Chemistry
Reply 65
Hardest: Maths
Original post by bdlands
haha it does! If you want a bit of grade reassurance English Lit is good for that, on AQA coursework is worth 40% of your whole A Level so if you do well in that you feel more reassured about walking out with a good grade. History on AQA has coursework is worth 25% of your whole A Level - so in comparison if you like coursework Lit could sway you even more.

Thanks! This was really helpful :biggrin:. I think in general I do well in coursework, it's just that I'm a huuugggggggeee procrastinator :redface:. I'm leaning towards literature bc at least my coursework will be my fall back. Although during my GCSEs my coursework grade for History almost pulled me down (I got a b in c/w but got full UMS in the exams).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Number416
Hardest: Economics
Easiest : Chemistry

I'm pretty sure you might just be the first person on TSR to have said that you found chemistry easier than economics haha :tongue:
Hardest is chemistry, easiest was sociology

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure you might just be the first person on TSR to have said that you found chemistry easier than economics haha :tongue:

I found with chemistry the main thing to do was just continuously go over the content until it goes in, its all from memory except for some of the questions in A2.

With Economics for one exam in particular i could never get above a low B even though I did three times.

Maybe my opinion is biased as i have experienced the hell of degree level econ
Reply 70
Thanks! This was really helpful :biggrin:. I think in general I do well in coursework, it's just that I'm a huuugggggggeee procrastinator :redface:. I'm leaning towards literature bc at least I'll have a fall back. Although during my GCSEs my coursework grade for History almost pulled me down (I got a b in c/w but got full UMS in the exams).

no probs! I did well in my english lit coursework so it pulled my AS grade up to an A as i got a B in the exam so I'm thanking my lucky stars for that :tongue: if you want to know any more i'm happy to help! :smile:
I'm torn between history AS and English lit AS :s-smilie: but going by what everyone is saying, apparently both are one of the hardest AS/A2 levels aarrghh
yeah I got my results back and I basically got the same grade and mark. in both of them idk if you'd consider it but geography is a really fun one to do! But anyway it all depends on what topics your doing for history and who is teaching you but I've decided to drop history anyway because doing two subjects very heavy on reading and essays is very time consuming
AQA biology was definitely the hardest
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Number416
I found with chemistry the main thing to do was just continuously go over the content until it goes in, its all from memory except for some of the questions in A2.

With Economics for one exam in particular i could never get above a low B even though I did three times.

Maybe my opinion is biased as i have experienced the hell of degree level econ

I did Economics GCSE because I thought it would be maths-based, but it's basically like Business Studies. I found it's mostly just ticking the boxes in the mark scheme
For AS- geography was piss easy, history was hard af
I did Economics GCSE because I thought it would be maths-based, but it's basically like Business Studies. I found it's mostly just ticking the boxes in the mark scheme

I agree Economics at A level also has very little maths apart from simple division and multiplication. Maybe it was my exam technique but I always struggled with the big essay questions i.e. 18 markers where i only ever seemed to get about 6 marks.

In contrast degree Economics is almost exclusively all about maths
Original post by bdlands
no probs! I did well in my english lit coursework so it pulled my AS grade up to an A as i got a B in the exam so I'm thanking my lucky stars for that :tongue: if you want to know any more i'm happy to help! :smile:

I'll probably be reliant on coursework, because my school has a history of nailing the c/w and screwing up exams :tongue: . The questions in English lit are a bit unpredictable as well. Sometimes I've found I have loads to write about, but other times I literally spend 15 min trying to come up with something to write.
For AS

Easiest: Spanish/Maths
Hardest: Further Maths

I also did physics.

I got AAAB ( B in further maths :frown: )
Original post by Rebeccalc988
yeah I got my results back and I basically got the same grade and mark. in both of them idk if you'd consider it but geography is a really fun one to do! But anyway it all depends on what topics your doing for history and who is teaching you but I've decided to drop history anyway because doing two subjects very heavy on reading and essays is very time consuming

I agree, the workload would probably be too much, which is why I'm hesitant on doing both at the same time. I've never done Geography GCSE so I have never really understood what it was about. Is it based on topography or is it about landscapes/mountains and such? I might take a look at the spec now
Reply 79
I'll probably be reliant on coursework, because my school has a history of nailing the c/w and screwing up exams :tongue: . The questions in English lit are a bit unpredictable as well. Sometimes I've found I have loads to write about, but other times I literally spend 15 min trying to come up with something to write.

yeah thats the thing with English Lit, also it isn't marked objectively so different examiners can give you completely different marks which sucks :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest