The Student Room Group

Medicine in University of Debrecen

I am thinking of doing Basic Medical Course and then continuing on to Medicine course at University of Debrecen in Hungary. If anyone been to it or is studying there at the moment, please tell me of your experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I haven't, but I am Hungarian at least, and maybe I can answer a few questions that you might have about the Hungarian university sytem and stuff like that. (Also, don't. Just, don't. Hungarian universities suck, and the uni of Debrecen isn't that good either, and not many people speak any other language than Hungarian. It might be different at university, but normally you can't speak anything apart from Hungarian with Hungarians.)
Reply 2
Original post by Annie881
Well, I haven't, but I am Hungarian at least, and maybe I can answer a few questions that you might have about the Hungarian university system and stuff like that. (Also, don't. Just, don't. Hungarian universities suck, and the uni of Debrecen isn't that good either, and not many people speak any other language than Hungarian. It might be different at university, but normally you can't speak anything apart from Hungarian with Hungarians.)

I would like to agree 100% with Annie881, as the Hungarian Universities are just a money making system, and doing the Basic Medical course is just another way for the Hungarian Universities to get even more money out of you - I speak as a father of a daughter who spent 1.5years as a medical student, and she was a mental wreck before we decided to pull her out for the following reasons :-
1. The Hungarian University is designed to make you fail at any point.!,
2. The Universities do not offer any type of support to the students!
3. The student life consists of sleep, eat and study, with very little time to relax.!
4. After the first month, there are exams every week, and also the finals.!
5. The lecturers are not interested in helping the students.!
6. The only support system available is the students themselves.!
7. You have a good chance of repeating a year anytime during your 6 years of Medicine.

My advice is to think very hard, and look at other alternatives, before going to Hungary, as the student life is very hard, and depressing almost all of the time.
The locals don't seem to like the anyone that does not speak Hungarian, and Hungarian is a very difficult language to speak etc.

Please don't think that I am trying to scare you or give you horror stories, but Uni of Debrecen is very different from what the story that the Uni recruiter tells you, but, please, please consider any other options.

Happy to help if you need further advice.
Reply 3
Thanks a lot for such insight.....was thinking of applying
Original post by ApplesTrees
I am thinking of doing Basic Medical Course and then continuing on to Medicine course at University of Debrecen in Hungary. If anyone been to it or is studying there at the moment, please tell me of your experience?

Hello!

In case it helps, there's some excellent free advice on studying medicine overseas in Europe here:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/studying-medicine-abroad/
Reply 5
hi i actually know quite a few people at debrecen and i myself am going there and can assure you that from what i have been told this is not true... your daughter most likely was just not able to hack the work load and was unsuccessful in the balancing of work and play. i know people doing BMC from england and also 5th years from england... sooo....
just know that its not going to be easy, but you should have known that already as dentistry is not a piece of cake.. thats what i keep telling myself to prepare my self lol but idk. just dont let any biased opinions effect your decision cause at the end of the day its down to you...
Reply 6
one thing i have also been told is that you are able to get tutors if you need.. if that makes a difference.
As the representative of the University of Debrecen I just would like to make a few comments.

Yes, the University is really hard and the requirements high but the graduates will be Doctors and Dentists! What is required from them? Lack of knowledge or to be well prepared professionals? Always ask yourself what you expect from a Doctor or a Dentist.

BMC course is designed for those whose knowledge doesn't meet the requirement for the 1st year. I can’t agree that this course is another money maker because if somebody wouldn't be good enough for the 1st year but accepted most likely will struggle with the requirement on the 1st or 2nd year and hate the University and repeat a year or years. So repeating the 1st or 2nd year would cost 16-17 000 USD/ year but doing the BMC course would cost only 7000 USD. The BMC course absolutely prepares the students for their further studies and those who finish it successfully most likely will cope with the requirement much easier on their further studies too. On the other hand the BMC course is competitive and hard too. But maybe those who can’t finish the BMC course successfully ought to think to study something else because maybe the medical and dental studies are not for them. So the parents and the students would know that it’s no point to go further. But if this happen on the 1st or 2nd year would cost much more. The professors on the entrance exam have a lots of experience to decide who needs extra study for the University studies and they want to see happy students who can cope easily with the requirements.

Obviously everybody is different and somebody needs help to study to meet the requirements. But those who need help should look for it. There are lots of possibilities for that but you have to ask and look for it. “Silent child's mother did not understand a word “.For example I have a list of academic private tutors name / around 30/ who are willing to give private lessons so everybody can prepare for the exams. Every year I have students who ask me to find private tutor because they need them. It’s not a shame; it’s a University with high requirement.

The exams on almost every 2-3 weeks are for the students themselves. It’s called Self Controlled test. So if somebody is failing on these tests should indicate that help is needed study more or get a private tutor! Those who pass these tests successfully can get a grade for their final exam. That means no need to take the exam from that subject in the examination period. There are 3 chances to pass the exam in the examination period. So if somebody is good enough to pass all the exams with studying only in the examination period that’s fine, the University doesn't check on you how much you study, you just need to pass the exam. There is no need to study all year long if you can pass the exam in the examination period. But obviously because the requirement is very high everybody needs to study very hard. But for that you get a quality degree which is recognised worldwide. On the other hand what you studied nobody can take from you.

Don’t take only 1 person’s opinion. I can give - to anybody who is interested - all the British students contact details who are studying or already graduated at the University of Debrecen and make any decision afterwards you heard more opinions. I’m living in Debrecen so anybody who is willing to take a bit of time, visit Debrecen and I will be happy to show you around at the University, the city etc…. As most of the British students came with my assistance we can meet students too so anybody can ask randomly anything from those we meet during the trip.

As the University give you recognised and quality degrees there will be always students who can’t cope with the requirement. But what would the World and You say if everybody could get a Medical or Dental degree easily without any effort without hard work? Anybody think that how it should be?

For more information feel free to contact me
[email protected]
www.studyabroadhungary.com
Original post by eMID
I would like to agree 100% with Annie881, as the Hungarian Universities are just a money making system, and doing the Basic Medical course is just another way for the Hungarian Universities to get even more money out of you - I speak as a father of a daughter who spent 1.5years as a medical student, and she was a mental wreck before we decided to pull her out for the following reasons :-
3. The student life consists of sleep, eat and study, with very little time to relax.!
7. You have a good chance of repeating a year anytime during your 6 years of Medicine.

My advice is to think very hard, and look at other alternatives, before going to Hungary, as the student life is very hard, and depressing almost all of the time.
The locals don't seem to like the anyone that does not speak Hungarian, and Hungarian is a very difficult language to speak etc.

Please don't think that I am trying to scare you or give you horror stories, but Uni of Debrecen is very different from what the story that the Uni recruiter tells you, but, please, please consider any other options.

I am a second year dentistry student at debrecen and must say I completely agree! The university don't give us any support its practically a fight between the students and the dental department who for some reason don't want to help us or craft us in to skilled dentists. The medicine department is a lot more helpful and willing!

We seem to be paying them thousands of pounds yet none of this is being invested in to updating our facilities. For dentists they take in up to 100 students a year but because in third year they don't have enough phantom heads and fourth and fifth years they don't have enough clinic chairs for this many students they have to get rid of as many as possible, resulting in failing students.

One dental teacher walked in to class one day angry because a couple of people cheated in an exam and told the entire year they would struggle in the next exam as he was going to make it hard. They also tried to charge this year group for running seminars for one module and set the fee at $50 per seminar, though after uproar this was decreased to $10.

There is no voice of students to get the university to be fair and to help and teach us properly.

The department of medicine is definitely a lot more fairer and easier than dentistry, though I understand this is also the case in the czech republic (charles and masaryk).

Having said that it is definitely doable as long as you WORK! Second year is especially tough and this semester I have sacrificed my social life etc etc and it has paid off but only because I have worked extremely hard!
There are a lot of brits here which makes it a lot easier especially because the city is very boring.

For dentistry I would definitely suggest looking at spain (madrid, valencia) a lot of dental students from debrecen have transferred there over the last couple of years and have said its a lot better, better teaching, more modern and a lot more like the UK universities.

But like I said if you're willing to sacrifice your life and put the hard work in it is definitely doable! Dentistry and Medicine is going to be hard in any country, it's just that Hungarian universities make it even harder.
This is about medicine / dentistry in Debrecen university

I am strongly against Debrecen University. It’s all about making business. Usually they give you easy questions during interview exams. Most students of A level pass it and get seats. And here we start. Once you start there you will discover what’s meant by torture.

In short they will take your money and send your children with nothing. This could happen at any stage by the way.

Each exam has three attempts in first year and another 3 attempts if you are a repeater. Normally trial A and B are within the package which you made at the beginning of the year. From trial C till the 6th trial must be paid before exams.

The lectures are not satisfactory. Professors are not keen to teach. You’re forced to take private teaching sessions either from them or from other higher stage students or graduates who they learned from their masters how to make money from new coming students (i.e jungle)

You study hard and go to the exam. The professor will do his best to make you fail and reach trial C (make payment). He will even do his best to fail student at Trial C. This means they turned you in to a repeater. Guess what they will repeat the same story in the next year. Now your will study even more hard and will make you reach the last trial. You will pass the written part which is never easy (pass mark is 80% and above = 16/20). Then they send you to the worst prof. ever they have, who hates his life and definitely others, for example prof. Peter in chemistry, and he will give you the hardest questions. Then he tells you sorry I can’t pass you. You made a mistake in one part. You will remind him that this is the last chance (dismissal) and he replies I don’t care.

Of course this didn’t happen to all because some are lucky enough not to see his face (like one of the reviewers mentioned luck). Believe me you will need it as if you are in a battle.

Others have their own ways (i guess its easy to figure out)

Students who come from rich countries like our story, parent s who are doctor and they can pay, the university will do their best to suck their money.

I am hereby, warning parents. You will lose your money and you children will suffer a lot or will end up with very bad experience.

I will do my best to publish my review about Debrecen university on other sites just to warn people and show them the hidden facts about this university.

I will repeat again: those who were successful and passed are not genius. They have luck. Others have found their way to the heart of the examiner. I hope this is clear.

I told our story.
ZBWA�9� cM
(edited 7 years ago)
I have my son just dismissed because of your university
I will tell out story again and again every where

I am strongly against Debrecen University. It’s all about making business. Usually they give you easy questions during interview exams. Most students of A level pass it and get seats. And here we start. Once you start there you will discover what’s meant by torture.

In short they will take your money and send your children with nothing. This could happen at any stage by the way.

Each exam has three attempts in first year and another 3 attempts if you are a repeater. Normally trial A and B are within the package which you made at the beginning of the year. From trial C till the 6th trial must be paid before exams.

The lectures are not satisfactory. Professors are not keen to teach. You’re forced to take private teaching sessions either from them or from other higher stage students or graduates who they learned from their masters how to make money from new coming students (i.e jungle)

You study hard and go to the exam. The professor will do his best to make you fail and reach trial C (make payment). He will even do his best to fail student at Trial C. This means they turned you in to a repeater. Guess what they will repeat the same story in the next year. Now your will study even more hard and will make you reach the last trial. You will pass the written part which is never easy (pass mark is 80% and above = 16/20). Then they send you to the worst prof. ever they have, who hates his life and definitely others, for example prof. Peter in chemistry, and he will give you the hardest questions. Then he tells you sorry I can’t pass you. You made a mistake in one part. You will remind him that this is the last chance (dismissal) and he replies I don’t care.

Of course this didn’t happen to all because some are lucky enough not to see his face (like one of the reviewers mentioned luck). Believe me you will need it as if you are in a battle.

Others have their own ways (bribe).

Students who come from rich countries like our story, parent s who are doctor and they can pay, the university will do their best to suck their money.

I am hereby, warning parents. You will lose your money and you children will suffer a lot or will end up with very bad experience.

I will do my best to publish my review about Debrecen university on other sites just to warn people and show them the hidden facts about this university.

I will repeat again: those who were successful and passed are not genius. They have luck. Others have found their way to the heart of the examiner. I hope this is clear.

I told our story.
Money only. No conscience in Debrecen university
For University of Debrecen, how important is it to learn the language? Are there any exams that are in Hungarian language? Or do we just learn the basics to help with daily routine?
Original post by Sarah Hameed
I have my son just dismissed because of your university
I will tell out story again and again every where

Others have their own ways (bribe).

I told our story.

Dear „Sarah Hameed” the name you’re hiding behind - you afraid to use your real name because in that case the exact reason of your son’s dismiss could be unfolded.

This post shows my opinion only and not officially the University’s.

I wrote this post because I have to tell the facts which show why your thinking is totally wrong. I can understand your frustration because your son couldn’t pass his exam(s) but it’s very primitive to blame the University and look down those who graduated with a really hard work and can be called Doctors and Dentists. They are not just lucky, they worked hard to get a quality degree and be proud of it because they know that it wasn’t easy to get and they had to put hard work into it.

What we expect from our Doctors and Dentists? Knowing that anybody could gain easily a M.D and D.M.D degree? Or respect them for what they did and put our trust in them when they are treating, doing surgery on us, on our sons and daughters? Or always be afraid of them because the degree they have was easily to get and everybody can have it? So no high standard, no level of education, no high requirements etc……? I don’t think so! A Medical University has to be hard and has to have quality and standards. Don’t need for Doctors and Dentists who has no quality and standards of their degree.

The money issue you wrote is totally wrong and shows that you have lack of mathematical skills too. I guide you through now why. The University could make the most money if they didn’t fail anybody and letting everybody go through up to the 6th year. But in that case the degree wouldn’t worth anything and wouldn’t be a quality degree. Make it easily understandable - count with 300 students on each year / there is place limitation so the max is 300 on each year/. If they don’t fail anybody there will be 1 800 payer students. But if they fail 50 students on each year see what happens on each year.

1st year always 300
2nd year because of the fails already only 250 person so 50 is missing
3rd year 200 payer and 100 missing
4th year 150 payer and 150 is missing
5th year 100 payer and 200 missing
6th year only 50 payer and 250 missing

So if you add the missing payer students you get 750 students are missing. Their tuition is 750x16 500=12 375 000 USD.

The repeated exam fees are an average 5 USD. 750 students are missing, so the University has 1 050 students who pay. How many times this 1 050 students should pay the 5 USD to reach 12 375 000USD? I tell you 2 475 000 times. Taking further 1 person should make 2 357 times that 5 Usd payment to have the same 12 375 000 USD amount. Do you think it’s possible and could have been happened? Simple mathematical skills you needed, only multiplication and division.

So if the University would go for the money only, they wouldn’t fail anybody because they would lose lots of money. That’s a fact and as I showed, the University can’t make such high income from the repeated exam fees. So it’s proved that the standard of education and quality degree is more important to the University and your pure explanation is wrong and pathetic.

Another fact.

As you mentioned too students can take an exam 6 times. Do you think 6 times are not enough? How long the University should allow taking exams? After the 1st occasion you should think something is wrong. Get a private tutor. If you can’t pass an exam with an academic private tutor you should look into yourself - something is wrong with you and might being a Doctor or a Dentist is not for you. It’s not a shame. We are talking about the hardest degrees you can get. If everybody could be a Doctor, than everybody would go for that. Without standard and level of education could we put our trust into the Doctors to treat us?

You mentioned that students don’t get support from the University. Here are again the facts.

There are lectures and seminars on each subject. On the seminars - which are after the big lecture- only a smaller group attend. The seminars are for discussion too so if somebody doesn’t understand something can ask to discuss it. But obviously if your son didn’t look into the topic after the lecture and before the seminar he has no clue to ask anything. On the other hand there are self-controlled tests too in every 3-4 weeks. If your son failed on it should have indicated to him and you that he needs some help or more study. Get a private tutor! It’s not a shame! We are talking about University studies! On the 3rd hand there are Academic advisors on every department and they are there for help the students.This Bulletin is always given to all of the students on the day of registration. I bet you didn’t even know about it or you didn’t think that could help you.

The whole Bulletin is available on the internet so you can check now that academic advisors are appointed on every single department.
http://edu.dote.hu/images/documents/english_program_bulletin_faculty_of_medicine_20150731_1457_rework_final_marti.pdf

So the facts are for support

1. Lecture- 1st time you hear the topic
2. Seminar- 2nd time your hear the topic + for discussion too
3. Self-controlled tests in every 3-4 weeks - so around 5-6 tests have to be written before the examination + those who successfully pass all of them will be offered a grade and they don’t have to take the exam in the examination period.
4. 3 occasions to pass the exam in the examination period maximum - 2 times 3 occasions/ 6 times/
5. Academic advisors
6. Private tutor but a private tutor should be for the whole semester not in the last minute in the examination period and have only 1 week to be prepared for the last exam. I had lots of desperate requests to find a tutor quickly because the exam is on the next week. I wouldn’t be surprised if the exam didn’t go well if I had a private tutor for only a week for my last exam.

You mentioned bribe too - It’s a silly supposition! The academic staffs receive quite good salary. They are academic tutors so they even despise those who did even mention it. On the other hand if it would exist why you didn’t go for it? I tell you why not - because it does not exist. It’s always a silly explanation from those who couldn’t pass the exam.

What did you mean with “i.e. jungle”? Are you racist? Do you look down others because their skins are different to yours? That shows what type of person you are!

Criticise the lectures? I bet you never ever listened any of the lecture and you don’t even know what publications, research work etc….. they do/did. It’s again showing how primitive your explanation. I’m sure that if somebody looks into your article a bit deeper will recognise that you are frustrated of your son’s fail and trying to decry the University as much as you can with making up stories.

Look into yourself whether you did everything, whether your son’s stories are true. Because as I’m living here I see some of the students are here just for fun and always out. I’m in this business for 13 years so I’ve seen a few things and I could give you a few other explanations why your son didn’t pass his exams. I bet, you weren’t here all the time during the whole semester. I know you have trust in your son but I’m not sure everything is true what you were told.
Original post by StudyinHungary
Dear „Sarah Hameed” the name you’re hiding behind - you afraid to use your real name because in that case the exact reason of your son’s dismiss could be unfolded.

This post shows my opinion only and not officially the University’s.

I wrote this post because I have to tell the facts which show why your thinking is totally wrong. I can understand your frustration because your son couldn’t pass his exam(s) but it’s very primitive to blame the University and look down those who graduated with a really hard work and can be called Doctors and Dentists. They are not just lucky, they worked hard to get a quality degree and be proud of it because they know that it wasn’t easy to get and they had to put hard work into it.

What we expect from our Doctors and Dentists? Knowing that anybody could gain easily a M.D and D.M.D degree? Or respect them for what they did and put our trust in them when they are treating, doing surgery on us, on our sons and daughters? Or always be afraid of them because the degree they have was easily to get and everybody can have it? So no high standard, no level of education, no high requirements etc……? I don’t think so! A Medical University has to be hard and has to have quality and standards. Don’t need for Doctors and Dentists who has no quality and standards of their degree.

The money issue you wrote is totally wrong and shows that you have lack of mathematical skills too. I guide you through now why. The University could make the most money if they didn’t fail anybody and letting everybody go through up to the 6th year. But in that case the degree wouldn’t worth anything and wouldn’t be a quality degree. Make it easily understandable - count with 300 students on each year / there is place limitation so the max is 300 on each year/. If they don’t fail anybody there will be 1 800 payer students. But if they fail 50 students on each year see what happens on each year.

1st year always 300
2nd year because of the fails already only 250 person so 50 is missing
3rd year 200 payer and 100 missing
4th year 150 payer and 150 is missing
5th year 100 payer and 200 missing
6th year only 50 payer and 250 missing

So if you add the missing payer students you get 750 students are missing. Their tuition is 750x16 500=12 375 000 USD.

The repeated exam fees are an average 5 USD. 750 students are missing, so the University has 1 050 students who pay. How many times this 1 050 students should pay the 5 USD to reach 12 375 000USD? I tell you 2 475 000 times. Taking further 1 person should make 2 357 times that 5 Usd payment to have the same 12 375 000 USD amount. Do you think it’s possible and could have been happened? Simple mathematical skills you needed, only multiplication and division.

So if the University would go for the money only, they wouldn’t fail anybody because they would lose lots of money. That’s a fact and as I showed, the University can’t make such high income from the repeated exam fees. So it’s proved that the standard of education and quality degree is more important to the University and your pure explanation is wrong and pathetic.

Another fact.

As you mentioned too students can take an exam 6 times. Do you think 6 times are not enough? How long the University should allow taking exams? After the 1st occasion you should think something is wrong. Get a private tutor. If you can’t pass an exam with an academic private tutor you should look into yourself - something is wrong with you and might being a Doctor or a Dentist is not for you. It’s not a shame. We are talking about the hardest degrees you can get. If everybody could be a Doctor, than everybody would go for that. Without standard and level of education could we put our trust into the Doctors to treat us?

You mentioned that students don’t get support from the University. Here are again the facts.

There are lectures and seminars on each subject. On the seminars - which are after the big lecture- only a smaller group attend. The seminars are for discussion too so if somebody doesn’t understand something can ask to discuss it. But obviously if your son didn’t look into the topic after the lecture and before the seminar he has no clue to ask anything. On the other hand there are self-controlled tests too in every 3-4 weeks. If your son failed on it should have indicated to him and you that he needs some help or more study. Get a private tutor! It’s not a shame! We are talking about University studies! On the 3rd hand there are Academic advisors on every department and they are there for help the students.This Bulletin is always given to all of the students on the day of registration. I bet you didn’t even know about it or you didn’t think that could help you.

The whole Bulletin is available on the internet so you can check now that academic advisors are appointed on every single department.
http://edu.dote.hu/images/documents/english_program_bulletin_faculty_of_medicine_20150731_1457_rework_final_marti.pdf

So the facts are for support

1. Lecture- 1st time you hear the topic
2. Seminar- 2nd time your hear the topic + for discussion too
3. Self-controlled tests in every 3-4 weeks - so around 5-6 tests have to be written before the examination + those who successfully pass all of them will be offered a grade and they don’t have to take the exam in the examination period.
4. 3 occasions to pass the exam in the examination period maximum - 2 times 3 occasions/ 6 times/
5. Academic advisors
6. Private tutor but a private tutor should be for the whole semester not in the last minute in the examination period and have only 1 week to be prepared for the last exam. I had lots of desperate requests to find a tutor quickly because the exam is on the next week. I wouldn’t be surprised if the exam didn’t go well if I had a private tutor for only a week for my last exam.

You mentioned bribe too - It’s a silly supposition! The academic staffs receive quite good salary. They are academic tutors so they even despise those who did even mention it. On the other hand if it would exist why you didn’t go for it? I tell you why not - because it does not exist. It’s always a silly explanation from those who couldn’t pass the exam.

What did you mean with “i.e. jungle”? Are you racist? Do you look down others because their skins are different to yours? That shows what type of person you are!

Criticise the lectures? I bet you never ever listened any of the lecture and you don’t even know what publications, research work etc….. they do/did. It’s again showing how primitive your explanation. I’m sure that if somebody looks into your article a bit deeper will recognise that you are frustrated of your son’s fail and trying to decry the University as much as you can with making up stories.

Look into yourself whether you did everything, whether your son’s stories are true. Because as I’m living here I see some of the students are here just for fun and always out. I’m in this business for 13 years so I’ve seen a few things and I could give you a few other explanations why your son didn’t pass his exams. I bet, you weren’t here all the time during the whole semester. I know you have trust in your son but I’m not sure everything is true what you were told.

Thank you so much for clearing it up! This person so-called Sarah Hameed was nearly putting me off to study at this university...but now I do realise that it's all about hard work and you have to work hard in any medical university you go to...thank you so much! Whatever you said is so true and it really is convincing, I hope this guy does realise his mistakes and maybe look to make his son's future brighter, rather than remain busy in blaming people. I really look forward to studying at Debrecen soon...
hi i am an international student and trying to apply for my masters in law (llm) at University of debrecen .I already received my offer letter. It would be really kind if i could be able to know the education system in LLM and the pressure of the courses, like how they are designed.

Thank you
Regards
I completely agree with him as a student in one of the Hungarian universities, I believe that they only need or money and do not care about the knowledge they give us . I have a lot of hardworking students that failed a year or 2 just because the examiner is not in the mood or he is angry or have something against the student . Honestly it is so stupied and hard . They stress us with exams and time and with the amount of knowledge that we have to know . They are always seeking for problems with us and always complaining that international students are not good and they do not study.
Please can you help link me up with a private Physics
Reply 18
Original post by eMID

Oh
Hi I am a prospective BMC student that will be starting this September. If you could please give me the contact details of some of the student you had mentioned you knew of? I also haven’t heard the best things about the university so I’d really like to hear from someone who is a student that’s currently there.I’m also looking for a roommate who’s going for BMC, please let me know if you have anyone in mind.

Quick Reply