Is this possible? Grades and A levels

Watch
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys and gals,
Is it possible to go from EUU grades to A*A*A/ A*A*A* without repeating year 12 but continuing on A2 with those AS results? I'm not trying to be a hater or pessimistic but someone explained that this is what they wanted to do and I congratulated them for their courage but thought to myself that this seems almost impossible and unrealistic.

I always try to be supportive but I don't want this person to make a big mistake and get even more disappointed if things do not go as planned.
Even people who repeated their first years, doing AS in two years sometimes don't get those A grades or A* grades at A2. It would be like doing 3 a levels in one year due to the resits. Maybe it is possible as you can resit papers, I don't know.
But I guess it would be very difficult. They are doing English lit. Chemistry and History. I'm doing the same courses as them but Physics instead of History and I know how difficult these are.
BritishBean
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are they going to retake their AS exams?

Because, I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am!) but to get an A* at A" you need:

- Average of at least 80% in the AS modules (UMS)

- Average of at least 90% in the A2 modules (UMS)

Unless I'm wrong it's not actually possible for them to get A*s without retaking their AS exams.
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by BritishBean)

Because, I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am!) but to get an A* at A" you need:

Unless I'm wrong it's not actually possible for them to get A*s without retaking their AS exams.
Yea she is resitting her AS exams, just not retaking year 12. But even with resits, is it possible in terms of workload, management and difficulty?
xoflower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She should retake year 12. She basically failed all of her exams so it will be like doing yr 12 and yr 13 in one year!
Also she should consider changing her subjects

Why did she do badly? She should think about this before thinking about resits or she will make the same mistake

I don't think someone that gets e and u grades will get an a* at a2.
Farockz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
Hey guys and gals,
Is it possible to go from EUU grades to A*A*A/ A*A*A* without repeating year 12 but continuing on A2 with those AS results? I'm not trying to be a hater or pessimistic but someone explained that this is what they wanted to do and I congratulated them for their courage but thought to myself that this seems almost impossible and unrealistic.

I always try to be supportive but I don't want this person to make a big mistake and get even more disappointed if things do not go as planned.
Even people who repeated their first years, doing AS in two years sometimes don't get those A grades or A* grades at A2. It would be like doing 3 a levels in one year due to the resits. Maybe it is possible as you can resit papers, I don't know.
But I guess it would be very difficult. They are doing English lit. Chemistry and History. I'm doing the same courses as them but Physics instead of History and I know how difficult these are.
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

The work you have to do at A2 compared to AS is not only often more difficult, but there is also more of it. Having to complete this work and exams while also studying for their AS results would put a serious amount of strain and pressure on them, and lead to them as a result to do worse in their A2's then they would of if they didnt do AS alongside.

I would recommend that they resit the year and do their AS results again. Bearing in mind that even with a resit, going from EUU to A*A*A* is unlikely in itself (if they were previously fully committed that is/ no issues present).
SamuelSingleton
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BritishBean)

at least 80% of the A-Level as a whole (the grade required for an A) + an average of 90% in A2 units
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (4)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (2)
14.29%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (5)
35.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (0)
0%
No - I live at home during term anyway (3)
21.43%

Watched Threads