The Student Room Group

Are these subjects good

I'm moving on to A2 after the holidays. I'm carrying on with englishLang/ psychology and sociology. I did chemistry ar AS but i got the lowest grade out of all my other subjects in it so I'm going to have to drop it. Are the subjects I'm carrying on with considered good subjects someone told me that the subjects I'm taking are considered soft and easy. Will good unis be less likely to accept me if I'm taking 'soft' subjects?
Do what you think you will enjoy most. If you take a subject solely because you think Uni's will think highly of you for doing it, you'll be disappointed. They would rather see you do "soft" subject and pass with great grades than do "hard" subjects and not meet the entry requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by Tsrsarahh
I'm moving on to A2 after the holidays. I'm carrying on with englishLang/ psychology and sociology. I did chemistry ar AS but i got the lowest grade out of all my other subjects in it so I'm going to have to drop it. Are the subjects I'm carrying on with considered good subjects someone told me that the subjects I'm taking are considered soft and easy. Will good unis be less likely to accept me if I'm taking 'soft' subjects?

I think it depends on the course you're looking to apply for, and at which universities. For example, I think those are very reasonable subjects if you were looking to study psychology, or another social science.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Many people would rate chemistry as "more respectable" that sociology, but a good grade in sociology is more useful than a bad one in chemistry. And again, it depends on how relevant the subject is to the course you're applying to.

Good luck :tongue:
Reply 3
Again as the others have said, it depends on the course. If I was you I'd have a look at the requirements for the course you want to do. If it doesn't require a specific subject then you're fine. You're better off doing something you enjoy and getting good grades than doing a subject you don't enjoy where you lack the motivation :P

Quick Reply

Latest