Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

Hi everyone!

This thread is for discussing:
    AQA Biology A2 Unit 5: Control in Cells and In Organisms - 23rd June 2016.

BIOL 5 TOPICS:

Section 1 - Responding to the Environment
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nervous and Hormonal Communication
    Receptors
    Nervous System - Neurones
    Nervous System - Synaptic Transmission
    Effectors - Muscle Contraction
    Responses in Animals
    Survival and Response in Plants
    Section 2 - Homeostasis
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Homeostasis Basics
    Control of Body Temperature
    Control of Blood Glucose Concentration
    Control of the Menstrual Cycle
    Section 3 - Genetics
    Spoiler:
    Show

DNA and RNA
    Protein Synthesis
    The Genetic Code and Nucleic Acid
    Regulation of Transcription and Translation
    Mutations, Genetic Disorders and Cancer
    Diagnosing and Treating Cancer and Genetic Disorders
    Stem Cells
    Stem Cells in Medicine
    Section 4 - Gene Technology
    Spoiler:
    Show

Making DNA Fragments
    Gene Cloning
    Genetic Engineering
    Genetic Fingerprinting
    Locating and Sequencing Genes
    DNA in Medical Diagnosis
    Gene Therapy

BIOL 5 PAST PAPERS:
    BIOL 5 PAST MARK SCHEMES:
    RELATED THREADS:
    AQA Biology A2 Unit 6X: A2 Externally Marked Practical Assignment (EMPA) 2016
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3510295
    AQA Biology A2 Unit 4: Populations and Environment - 16th June 2016
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3509971

ReputationRep:
    Why have you set up a thread so early ? you haven't even began to learn the topic yet! that's very committed haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelSingleton)
    Why have you set up a thread so early ? you haven't even began to learn the topic yet! that's very committed haha
    We've been given quite a bit of homework to do in the holidays about Neurotransmitters and Genetics, part of Unit 5. ^^;
    And maybe people would just want to talk about it a little bit :P

ReputationRep:
    heya, can anyone explain why when you do a partial digest in restriction mapping the total length of dna fragments obtained adds up to more than length of original dna?!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anybody got the unit 5 notes with the red writing? They were on scribd but can no longer find them. They got me through AS and I have the unit 4 ones but just can't find the unit 5. They are so good I will my A Level in biology to these notes haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuvela)
    Hey has anybody got the unit 5 notes with the red writing? They were on scribd but can no longer find them. They got me through AS and I have the unit 4 ones but just can't find the unit 5. They are so good I will my A Level in biology to these notes haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for my uselessness as i dont have a clue but was wondering could you post the unit 4 ones (if theyre on computer)???

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else struggling with:

. Genetic Fingerprinting
    . Locating and Sequencing Genes
    . DNA in Medical Diagnosis
    . Gene Therapy

?

Every time I go over them and do exam questions I get the information muddled e.g- if the question is supposedly asking about DNA markers I will misinterpret the question and talk about DNA probes etc. Maybe its just me idk but Im just wondering if there is a way to revise this in enough detail but without getting muddled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightinwind)
    heya, can anyone explain why when you do a partial digest in restriction mapping the total length of dna fragments obtained adds up to more than length of original dna?!!!

Have a look at this animation, may or may not help

http://bio.classes.ucsc.edu/bio20L/i...1/multicut.htm

ReputationRep:
    HomeBehindTheSun This is another biology one for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilikerocks)
    Is anyone else struggling with:

. Genetic Fingerprinting
    . Locating and Sequencing Genes
    . DNA in Medical Diagnosis
    . Gene Therapy

?

Every time I go over them and do exam questions I get the information muddled e.g- if the question is supposedly asking about DNA markers I will misinterpret the question and talk about DNA probes etc. Maybe its just me idk but Im just wondering if there is a way to revise this in enough detail but without getting muddled?
    I have exactly the same problem aha, I've gone over the "DNA Technology Section" at least 10 times in depth but it just isn't going in. Everything is too similar. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get my head round it? Or is it just a case of going through it 1,000,000 times
    Anyone got any methods that helped them

ReputationRep:
    I hate this exam with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    How do people guess these kinds of threads for the one which is year after?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapkinofDestiny)
    I have exactly the same problem aha, I've gone over the "DNA Technology Section" at least 10 times in depth but it just isn't going in. Everything is too similar. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get my head round it? Or is it just a case of going through it 1,000,000 times
    I used the power points on this website to help get my head around everything
    http://vbio.weebly.com/aqa-a2-level-powerpoints.html
    hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    I love biology, but I have to admit PCR is my downfall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honeybee3803)
    I love biology, but I have to admit PCR is my downfall!
    We've been told that it's something you can learn a stock answer for if you're struggling, this is the one I use :
    1.) The temperature of the DNA mixture is raised to 95°C to break hydrogen bonds between the DNA strands, separating them.
    2.) Primers, free DNA nucleotides, and DNA polymerase are added to the mixture. You must be specific about saying DNA and nucleotides rather than bases. The temp is lowered to 55°C - 60°C. This temperature allows the primers to anneal. Anneal is a keyword! The primers allow DNA polymerase to bind to the single DNA strand.
    3.) The temp is raised to 72°C which is optimum for DNA polymerase to form the complementary DNA strand using the template via specific base pairing.
    4.) Repeated for as much DNA as you want.
    Sometimes they ask about how much DNA is formed after so many cycles, here it's important to remember that a new molecule of DNA will be formed from each single strand present so for example:
    One piece of DNA > 2 single strands > two pieces of DNA made > four single strands > 4 pieces of DNA made and so on.
    Hopefully this helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    We've been told that it's something you can learn a stock answer for if you're struggling, this is the one I use :
    1.) The temperature of the DNA mixture is raised to 95°C to break hydrogen bonds between the DNA strands, separating them.
    2.) Primers, free DNA nucleotides, and DNA polymerase are added to the mixture. You must be specific about saying DNA and nucleotides rather than bases. The temp is lowered to 55°C - 60°C. This temperature allows the primers to anneal. Anneal is a keyword! The primers allow DNA polymerase to bind to the single DNA strand.
    3.) The temp is raised to 72°C which is optimum for DNA polymerase to form the complementary DNA strand using the template via specific base pairing.
    4.) Repeated for as much DNA as you want.
    Sometimes they ask about how much DNA is formed after so many cycles, here it's important to remember that a new molecule of DNA will be formed from each single strand present so for example:
    One piece of DNA > 2 single strands > two pieces of DNA made > four single strands > 4 pieces of DNA made and so on.
    Hopefully this helps a bit
    Thank you I have looked at mark schemes for this, and it does seem to be the same step by step answers everytime, I know about the word anneal but the thing I struggle with is remembering the temperatures in the correct order and the reason why they need to be that temperature, i'm okay with what it produces and how the ingredients help that if that makes sense. Its just something I need to write out a few times, thank you though much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapkinofDestiny)
    I feel like the CGP revision guide (with bad jokes) is pretty okay for getting your head round the very very basics. And then unfortunately it is a case of going over and over the nelson thornes textbook and to be honest, it is a matter of understanding the basics of DNA before you can fully understand the rest. To see if you understand, do some questions and youtube videos are a really good resource too.

ReputationRep:
    1 bit of advice for all the gene technologies ... Don't overcomplicate it, they are very simple step by step mechanisms - if you don't agree then your teacher has already overcomplicated it.

if anyone needs any help drop me a message and i will do my best to explain
    I also have BIOL4 and BIOL5 notes available

ReputationRep:
    how is everyone preparing for the synoptic essay? I'm so scared about that bit!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god the essay.
    I've been trying but I can't do it in under an hour.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 18, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.