Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do I prove that a point lies on a line?
    I don't know what to do...I'm not talking about a particular exercise but in general as I wanna know how....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    I don't know what to do...I'm not talking about a particular exercise but in general as I wanna know how....
    I'm pretty sure you have to equate the coefficients of your i's j's and k's, then you should get λ=...
    If the point lies on the line the value of λ should be the same in all 3 cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    ok so you have a line r=ai+bj+cj+Δ(di+ej+fk).
    Now if a point P with position vector : xi+yj+zk lies on the line,then (a+Δd) would be equal to x,So find Δ.Now do the same for the j and k coefficients and u will find that the value of Δ would be the same for all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntegralAnomaly)
    ok so you have a line r=ai+bj+cj+Δ(di+ej+fk).
    Now if a point P with position vector : xi+yj+zk lies on the line,then (a+Δd) would be equal to x,So find Δ.Now do the same for the j and k coefficients and u will find that the value of Δ would be the same for all of them.

ok i think ill re write this in another equation

assuming
    r = 5i + 6j +2k + k(i + 2j + 3k)
    and you are asked to prove that line 6i + 8j + 5k is on this equation
    (bear in mind that im taking this numbers out of random)
    kk..
    now let k as 1
    (this depends on the question...cause k can be anything...so you can use 2 or 3 or whatever depending on what line touches...im using 1 cause i need the sum of 5 + k = 6...thus k has to be one)

now if i let k as 1
    r = (5+1)i + (6+2)j + (3+2)k
    r = 6i + 8j + 5k (proven)
    therefore,the line is in the equation

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.