The Student Room Group

Can I go to my insurance university?

I have a disability and given the expenses of accommodation I've been given I was wondering whether I would be able to go to my insurance choice in my home town where I can stay at home and study. I understand that I am legally obligated to go to my firm choice but their accommodation process has been appalling.

I've been accepted into my firm choice of Bath Spa however today I received an email saying that I've been given accommodation situated off campus for £154 a week. During the accommodation process we were required to give 5 choices of accommodation. Given that I have a disability - scoliosis which I have received a DSA assessment for I made sure that all my choices were affordable and on campus.

The accommodation I have been assigned to "Twerton Mill" is newly built and if I don't accept it there's no guarantee I'll get any accommodation at all despite initially being assured priority due to my disability. My Dad was furious and as their phone lines close at 5 and the email was received at 4:45 which is when my Dad is out working we have sent a Facebook message through to the housing page with no response so far.

I am on a student run Facebook group entitled Bath Spa Freshers and it would seem I'm not the only one with this problem. Another member of the group rang up Bath Spa and was told "they said so many people wanted gardens and commons that they can't give everyone what they want.He just kept saying I'll have to reject it and if I don't get anything I'll have to find my own accommodation. I rang about 3 times and spoke to 3 different people and they all said the same thing "there's nothing we can do"

Given the situation if I'm forced into this accommodation so last minute would I be able to go to my insurance choice of De Monfort University instead if I explain that my firm choice have not compromised even with my disability and financial situation?

My Dad is completely against me being forced to go to my insurance because of this but I don't think that Bath Spa will solve this problem.

Please help as I'm very pushed for time with this situation - I have to confirm the accommodation by the 19th of August.
Original post by HannahMFO
I have a disability and given the expenses of accommodation I've been given I was wondering whether I would be able to go to my insurance choice in my home town where I can stay at home and study. I understand that I am legally obligated to go to my firm choice but their accommodation process has been appalling.

I've been accepted into my firm choice of Bath Spa however today I received an email saying that I've been given accommodation situated off campus for £154 a week. During the accommodation process we were required to give 5 choices of accommodation. Given that I have a disability - scoliosis which I have received a DSA assessment for I made sure that all my choices were affordable and on campus.

The accommodation I have been assigned to "Twerton Mill" is newly built and if I don't accept it there's no guarantee I'll get any accommodation at all despite initially being assured priority due to my disability. My Dad was furious and as their phone lines close at 5 and the email was received at 4:45 which is when my Dad is out working we have sent a Facebook message through to the housing page with no response so far.

I am on a student run Facebook group entitled Bath Spa Freshers and it would seem I'm not the only one with this problem. Another member of the group rang up Bath Spa and was told "they said so many people wanted gardens and commons that they can't give everyone what they want.He just kept saying I'll have to reject it and if I don't get anything I'll have to find my own accommodation. I rang about 3 times and spoke to 3 different people and they all said the same thing "there's nothing we can do"

Given the situation if I'm forced into this accommodation so last minute would I be able to go to my insurance choice of De Monfort University instead if I explain that my firm choice have not compromised even with my disability and financial situation?

My Dad is completely against me being forced to go to my insurance because of this but I don't think that Bath Spa will solve this problem.

Please help as I'm very pushed for time with this situation - I have to confirm the accommodation by the 19th of August.

The minute your firm went unconditional you lost your insurance choice so unless you re in clearing you wouldn't have that option anymore :/
I d call up the universities disability services and ask for their help has your dsa assessment covered the difference between a "normal" room and the one you ve been offered?
Ring first thing Monday morning and give them hell. Make sure you have all emails, documents etc regarding the promises they made that they would take your disability into account in allocating accommodation. If they don't offer you something suitable, threaten them with the media and m'learned friends. Essentially, they have made a massive mistake and will have to correct it.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
The minute your firm went unconditional you lost your insurance choice so unless you re in clearing you wouldn't have that option anymore :/
I'd call up the universities disability services and ask for their help has your dsa assessment covered the difference between a "normal" room and the one you ve been offered?

Yes I suspected I'd have to go through clearing :frown:

Given that my medical condition is scoliosis and I'm not wheelchair bound - as long as I'm on campus and don't have to walk around too much I'm fine - which is why all I needed was an on-campus location. In the DSA assessment we covered this and I told them (ironically at the time) that all five of my options were on campus so they wouldn't need to do anything for me room wise except for the fact that I'm being given a supportive chair which needs to be placed into my room. That's why my Dad is so angry because we've been given an option that I didn't put down for and the university is unfairly forcing students to live in it because they've paid for it to be built.

What's the number for the disability services?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Ring first thing Monday morning and give them hell. Make sure you have all emails, documents etc regarding the promises they made that they would take your disability into account in allocating accommodation. If they don't offer you something suitable, threaten them with the media and m'learned friends. Essentially, they have made a massive mistake and will have to correct it.

Yes I'm currently searching through emails for where the word priority was written however I'm unfortunately quite sure that it only said the stuff about "disabled students being given priority" on the website when applications for accommodation were open - since the window has now closed I'm unsure as to whether 1. I'll be able to find the page and 2. if I took a screenshot at the time. However I'll still search my emails to see if that statement was also sent directly to me.

What do you mean by "m'learned friends"? :smile:

And thank you both of you for the help I appreciate it so much!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes I suspected I'd have to go through clearing :frown:

Given that my medical condition is scoliosis and I'm not wheelchair bound - as long as I'm on campus and don't have to walk around too much I'm fine - which is why all I needed was an on-campus location. In the DSA assessment we covered this and I told them (ironically at the time) that all five of my options were on campus so they wouldn't need to do anything for me room wise except for the fact that I'm being given a supportive chair which needs to be placed into my room. That's why my Dad is so angry because we've been given an option that I didn't put down for and the university is unfairly forcing students to live in it because they've paid for it to be built.

What's the number for the disability services?

01225 876543. if you have no luck call up your needs assessor and potentially they may be able to change your dsa to sort it
Yes I'm currently searching through emails for where the word priority was written however I'm unfortunately quite sure that it only said the stuff about "disabled students being given priority" when applications for accommodation were open - since the window has now closed I'm unsure as to whether 1. I'll be able to find the page and 2. if I took a screenshot at the time. However I'll still search my emails to see if that statement was also sent directly to me.

What do you mean by "m'learned friends"? :smile:

And thank you both of you for the help I appreciate it so much!

These might help:
https://thehub.bathspa.ac.uk/services/housing/new-students/students-with-access-needs
https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/regulations/disabled-student-guidelines

"M'learned friends" = lawyers, but I doubt they will be needed. Someone has messed up and it should be redressed swiftly.
Reply 7
I d call up the universities disability services and ask for their help has your dsa assessment covered the difference between a "normal" room and the one you ve been offered?

I want to go into clearing and go to DMU which I'm hoping to sort tomorrow - do any of you have suggestions as to who I need to speak to at Bath Spa?
I want to go into clearing and go to DMU which I'm hoping to sort tomorrow - do any of you have suggestions as to who I need to speak to at Bath Spa?

to be put into clearing i d try the general admissions number first and see where you get with that:smile:
Reply 9
to be put into clearing i d try the general admissions number first and see where you get with that:smile:

Thank you very much - besides my details such as my UCAS code and name - is there anything specific I need to say in order to be put into clearing or do I just say "Hello I'm [X] taking English Lit who am I speaking to? *writes down name* My current medical circumstances have forced me to decide I can no longer go to this university and that I need to be released into clearing - who do I need to contact?"
Thank you very much - besides my details such as my UCAS code and name - is there anything specific I need to say in order to be put into clearing or do I just say "Hello I'm [X] taking English Lit who am I speaking to? *writes down name* My current medical circumstances have forced me to decide I can no longer go to this university and that I need to be released into clearing - who do I need to contact?"

that sounds about right:smile:
Reply 11
Cancel your accommodation and see if they offer you anything before you attempt to change universities, it could be a lot simpler than you think.

My uni had the same protocol of "we will not offer alternative accommodation if you cancel", so I cancelled my accommodation and started looking elsewhere (and thankfully found somewhere both closer and nicer privately), but shortly afterwards the university phoned me to ask what the problem was so they can find me a place more suitable.

Why have you given up?
Reply 13
Original post by ageshallnot
Why have you given up?

I've had my doubts with BSU for a long time and it just feels right - five of my friends are staying in Leicester - two of which are going to DMU, I recently got a job here too which has great pay.

I know it seemed rushed but my Dad sat me down today and said "Look it's good that you've explored your options but I'm getting sick of waiting I need an answer." and I told him DMU. If I don't get a place then I guess it's my fault for messing up but the plan is to ring DMU and ask about spaces and if I can hold one, ring BSU to be released and then ring DMU again with my clearing number and say I'm ready.

***UPDATE*** I was never certain on what university to pick and I never started UCAS going "right I know exactly where I want to go" I'm really indecisive which I know is terrible but I thought it's best to be honest on this thread.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending