The Student Room Group

Mini-Pupillage Thread 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyLaw23
Interesting...

Re cover letters, mine also follow a similar-ish format, with a section on what areas of law and why, and why the bar (where I include minis & other exp etc. for evidence), why I would be well suited to the Bar (mooting, skills, etc.) and then why that set (tying in to the areas of law). Mine are probably a little long, but still within 1 page of A4, so should be ok... Thinking about it, I tend to tweak over time and add in new relevant exp, but I haven't redrafted from scratch in ages :s-smilie:

Maybe Quadrant doesn't actually offer mini-pupillages. The online application form is just there to stop people sending them emails about it.

I guess if it's working there's not much need to, I just sometimes look at it and think I could have worded some of it better, but if I just change a little bit I tend to feel like it doesn't flow properly anymore, so I just delete it all and start again :smile:

In other news I got rejected by South Square today :'( I think that's the second time that's happened.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Maybe Quadrant doesn't actually offer mini-pupillages. The online application form is just there to stop people sending them emails about it.

I guess if it's working there's not much need to, I just sometimes look at it and think I could have worded some of it better, but if I just change a little bit I tend to feel like it doesn't flow properly anymore, so I just delete it all and start again :smile:

In other news I got rejected by South Square today :'( I think that's the second time that's happened.

Commiserations. I just got rejected by Pump Court Tax (by email), although their deadline was a month ago, before I had secured any of the other tax minis for the autumn, so fair enough I guess...
Reply 22
Received acceptance letter from Serle Court in the post today (applied a couple of weeks ago)
Received acceptance letter from Serle Court in the post today (applied a couple of weeks ago)

Congrats! Nice timing after a rejection yesterday.
Reply 24
Congrats! Nice timing after a rejection yesterday.

Thanks, and indeed! :smile:
Can confirm I've also been rejected by Quadrant twice, also South Square twice and 3VB twice. Guess I won't be wasting one of my pupillage gateway applications on them now at least.
(edited 8 years ago)
I struggle to know how many minis is an adequate number. Coming up to the January pupillage apps I hopefully will have done 8 in total, 6 of which are in the area I actually want to practise in.

I feel like that should be enough, particularly when I have to take leave from work to do them.
Original post by Radebe91
I struggle to know how many minis is an adequate number. Coming up to the January pupillage apps I hopefully will have done 8 in total, 6 of which are in the area I actually want to practise in.

I feel like that should be enough, particularly when I have to take leave from work to do them.

Ooh a newbie.

Where have you done?

I've done 10, but I have a very wide 'area I want to practise in'. I'd take any decent commercial, chancery, tax, or property pupillage :smile:
Ooh a newbie.

Where have you done?

Well I've done Quadrant and Atkin as well as two places up north which were general common law and crime sets. I've got Serle Court and 3VB lined up and there's a few more that I've applied to/considering applying to including Maitland, 4 New Square, Wilberforce.
Well I've done Quadrant and Atkin as well as two places up north which were general common law and crime sets. I've got Serle Court and 3VB lined up and there's a few more that I've applied to/considering applying to including Maitland, 4 New Square, Wilberforce.

Wow someone got Quadrant. I think I've worked out their requirements now :tongue:

(Was going to ask you but I've realised we've spoken before.)
Reply 31
Original post by Forum User
Can confirm I've also been rejected by Quadrant twice, also South Square twice and 3VB twice. Guess I won't be wasting one of my pupillage gateway applications on them now at least.

Same here for Q and 3VB, haven't applied to South Square yet, but will be doing so for the Sept deadline, so will be interesting to see how that turns out... :curious:

I'd take any decent commercial, chancery, tax, or property pupillage :smile:

Ditto, minus property

Sounds like a good number, most Chambers I've asked seem to like anywhere between 6-10-ish. Where have you done them? And what area do you want to practise in?
Reply 32

Sorry, I wrote my last reply without refreshing the page 1st! Well done on Quadrant and 3VB - those seem to be the 'almost impossible to get' ones :biggrin:

What are your quals like, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM instead if you prefer.
Reply 33
Question: when sending a CV/covering letter application with a breakdown by subject in the CV, do most people include the results as classifications or % marks (or both)? Which is preferred (for the sets that don't specify their requirements)?
Question: when sending a CV/covering letter application with a breakdown by subject in the CV, do most people include the results as classifications or % marks (or both)? Which is preferred (for the sets that don't specify their requirements)?

I always send mine as % marks.
Reply 35
I always send mine as % marks.

Thanks! Has anyone applied to 7KBW recently, more or less? If so, how long did it take for them to respond and by what means?
Thanks! Has anyone applied to 7KBW recently, more or less? If so, how long did it take for them to respond and by what means?

I have a feeling they were one of two sets who sent me a rejection by post (the other being 3VB). Can't remember how long it took.
Reply 37
I have a feeling they were one of two sets who sent me a rejection by post (the other being 3VB). Can't remember how long it took.

I see, thanks. Also, did anyone else apply to 11SB for the 15 July d/l (assessed mini)? Still haven't heard anything back...
Reply 38
Hey,
Could I ask what stage you're all in now (or your age) and when you started to apply for mini pulpillages? I don't know if I'm thinking too far ahead right now but you all seem to have lots of experience and from my research so far it seems a challenge to obtain so much!

Thank you for any response!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xjaye
Hey,
Could I ask what stage you're all in now (or your age) and when you started to apply for mini pulpillages? I don't know if I'm thinking too far ahead right now but you all seem to have lots of experience and from my research so far it seems a challenge to obtain so much!

Thank you for any response!

I'm doing a Masters now and I started applying for mini-pupillages in the second year of my LLB.

Quick Reply

Latest