The Student Room Group

Should I take a year out and reapply to Cambridge or go to Durham this year?

I applied to Cambridge this year but didn't get an offer so ended up putting Durham as my firm. However, I got 3 A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths) and an A (Maths) which would have got me in to Cambridge. I really like Durham but it would be amazing to go to Cambridge.
If you were in my position would you accept the offer from Durham or take the risk and reapply next year to try to get into Cambridge?

_____

UPDATE: I ended up accepting my Durham offer but will be applying to Oxford or Cambridge to start next academic year. I know I have lower chances applying from university but it's too late to get a decent placement so starting my degree is my best option.

Thanks for all the advice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reapply and apply to Cambridge.

I say this as you will always wonder what will have been and could have been. For peace of mind and for yourself apply to Cambridge, you have the grades. As long as your UMS is high (i.e. 93%+ ideally I know you got a stars but theoretically one could get an a star with a minimum 80%) and you have decent gcses then you have a really good chance.

Also iirc 3 a stars is cambridge auto pooling someone confirm this.

Good luck and congratualations OP.
I personally would just go to Durham. Unless you're going to take a year out and do something really worth while like have a job which will propel you ahead of others, I wouldn't see the point in holding out for just Cambridge. But it's your choice. What subject did you want to study there?
I would definitely reapply to Cambridge, good luck!
Original post by EllainKahlo
I personally would just go to Durham. Unless you're going to take a year out and do something really worth while like have a job which will propel you ahead of others, I wouldn't see the point in holding out for just Cambridge. But it's your choice. What subject did you want to study there?

You don't see the point in going to Cambridge instead of Durham? Lol.
Reply 5

Biological natural sciences. I got a B in Chemistry last year so I was looking at just picking Biology modules but I might consider Biochem if I did reapply.
Original post by anonwinner
You don't see the point in going to Cambridge instead of Durham? Lol.

I didn't say that. I said I would just go to Durham instead.
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't say that. I said I would just go to Durham instead.

"I wouldn't see the point in holding out for just Cambridge"
Original post by morganlee
Biological natural sciences. I got a B in Chemistry last year so I was looking at just picking Biology modules but I might consider Biochem if I did reapply.

If it feels right to wait and reapply to Cambridge then you should but I do think that Durham is really great too.
I applied to Cambridge this year but didn't get an offer so ended up putting Durham as my firm. However, I got 3 A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths) and an A (Maths) which would have got me in to Cambridge. I really like Durham but it would be amazing to go to Cambridge.
If you were in my position would you accept the offer from Durham or take the risk and reapply next year to try to get into Cambridge?

Reapply for Cambridge u have done extermely well it is worth the wait
Reply 10
Original post by Moordland
Reapply and apply to Cambridge.

I say this as you will always wonder what will have been and could have been. For peace of mind and for yourself apply to Cambridge, you have the grades. As long as your UMS is high (i.e. 93%+ ideally I know you got a stars but theoretically one could get an a star with a minimum 80%) and you have decent gcses then you have a really good chance.

Also iirc 3 a stars is cambridge auto pooling someone confirm this.

Good luck and congratualations OP.

All of my UMS are pretty high except for Core 3 Maths (72% - why I only got an A in Maths), Further Pure 2 (70%) and Biol 4 (86%). Any idea how that would affect my application?
I'm in a very similar position but I've decided not to wait because I don't want to waste an entire year. If I could afford to travel or had something to do during a gap year then I'd go for Cambridge but I have no such plans.
All of my UMS are pretty high except for Core 3 Maths (72% - why I only got an A in Maths), Further Pure 2 (70%) and Biol 4 (86%). Any idea how that would affect my application?

Unless by 'really high' you are talking 97-100% then I personally would not recommend re-applying.

Like the girl above me said, it is a whole year, and Durham is a good University. More importantly though, you really are not guaranteed an offer even with the UMS I suggested. IMO there is too much risk involved, especially considering that you would need to spend the year doing something productive.

So you got an A* in further maths but an A in normal maths, idk if applying for non-mathsy courses you should be fine. However I would resit said exam in your gap year if you intend to do so.

If those are your only 3 modules belowe 90% then you should be fine. Email Cambridge and explain your situation that is the only way you can truly find out what they want and if they would consider you etc.
I would go to Durham unless you think you will be unhappy there. If you're thinking of taking a gap year you'll need something really worthwhile lined up to show Cambridge when you're applying. You also have variables such as the interview in Cambridge which means your results alone aren't a guarantee. You've done brilliantly either way and congratulations. Durham is a great university. Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending