missR22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I don't know what happened this year but I got high Bs in my A2 but was really expecting straight As, I'm getting a few papers remarked to see what happened . I haven't applied before as I decided on taking a gap year but is it still possible for me to apply to vet med?? I know I can achieve A*AA this year! I just wanted to know whether I have a chance of getting in this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little Tail Chaser
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there, I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't get the grades you were after, fingers crossed that they go up with a remark.

It's definitely still possible to apply for vet med, but you'll need to check out the websites to find out which universities will still consider you. I know there are two or three that accept resits, although they might still have conditions such as getting a minimum grade in your first sitting. BBB is pretty good though so I'm sure that won't be an issue. Off the top of my head RVC definitely take resits and Liverpool and Surrey do too but I'm not sure about their conditions regarding them are. Edinburgh however is definitely going to have to be somewhere to avoid I'm afraid.

Best of luck and have an an amazing time on your gap year
missR22
Rep:
?
Thank you for replying so fast! Yeah I was hoping on applying to Nottingham,Bristol,Liverpool and Surrey. On the website it says they'd accept resits but I'm still not 100 % sure about it. I hope they do because I can't see myself doing anything but vet med!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you still need to ease your mind, phone up the admissions tutors. That will give you a better answer since you can tell them your specific grades and subjects and they can respond accordingly.

Either way, a good chunk of people get in after resitting. If you apply to a university that's cool with it then it won't go against you, you'll just get a conditional offer.
missR22
Rep:
?
Yeah I totally understand that, I think I'll ring them up and see. Hopefully they do! Thank you so much for your help, do you mind if I message you about work experience and my personal ststement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't mind at all, go for it
jovi1983
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
I don't mind at all, go for it
Hi my son spoke to the college today about his BBC grades at A2 he was told he was 12 marks from a B in psychology so his tutor would speak to his psychology tutor to see if he would Predict a B on resit and she would predict A for biology and A for chemistry well my thoughts are for nottingham he needs AAA on resits he had bccd in As year the d was maths when he apply to uni does he have to declare he is doing resits and if he puts down his grades bbc with predicted AAB as resits it won't be enough will it thank you if he now had his psychology paper remarked then is it possible to jump up 12 ucas points to make it a B now
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jovi1983)
Hi my son spoke to the college today about his BBC grades at A2 he was told he was 12 marks from a B in psychology so his tutor would speak to his psychology tutor to see if he would Predict a B on resit and she would predict A for biology and A for chemistry well my thoughts are for nottingham he needs AAA on resits he had bccd in As year the d was maths when he apply to uni does he have to declare he is doing resits and if he puts down his grades bbc with predicted AAB as resits it won't be enough will it thank you if he now had his psychology paper remarked then is it possible to jump up 12 ucas points to make it a B now
Ok, I'm really struggling to understand what you're saying. Some sentences would be nice

I'm afraid I have no experience with reapplying, so I don't know how the results are declared on UCAS. Perhaps ask in the Gap Years and Reapplying thread?

As to whether AAB will be enough; for Nottingham that's actually okay, but it's not high enough for any other vet schools (Bristol give out AAB contextual offers but only after interview and they'll want AAA predictions). It's very risky to only apply to one vet school and I'd really advise against your son getting his heart set on Notts A lot of people end up going to their last choice of uni and end up loving it, at the end of the day all vet schools are excellent so I'd advise aiming for AAA and choosing some other places to apply to in addition to Notts.

As for his remark; I don't take psychology and have literally no knowledge of the structure of the exams, but 12 UMS seems like a big jump to me.
jovi1983
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Little Tail Chaser;58636531]Ok, I'm really struggling to understand what you're saying. Some sentences would be nice

I'm afraid I have no experience with reapplying, so I don't know how the results are declared on UCAS. Perhaps ask in the Gap Years and Reapplying thread?

As to whether AAB will be enough; for Nottingham that's actually okay, but it's not high enough for any other vet schools (Bristol give out AAB contextual offers but only after interview and they'll want AAA predictions). It's very risky to only apply to one vet school and I'd really advise against your son getting his heart set on Notts A lot of people end up going to their last choice of uni and end up loving it, at the end of the day all vet schools are excellent so I'd advise aiming for AAA and choosing some other places to apply to in addition to Notts.

As for his remark; I don't take psychology and have literally no knowledge of the structure of the exams, but 12 UMS seems like a big jump to me.[/QUOTE thank you sorry I meant AAB as a resit for nottingham I know this is not enough but from how he spoke his college will predict him as AAB as a resit if he applys to uni at nottingham if he puts down BBC in his A2 year and predicted AAB as a resit then I'm sure he will be on the no pile As he has got BBC at A2 doesn't he have to wait now to see what he gets in resits before he can apply
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jovi1983)
thank you sorry I meant AAB as a resit for nottingham I know this is not enough but from how he spoke his college will predict him as AAB as a resit if he applys to uni at nottingham if he puts down BBC in his A2 year and predicted AAB as a resit then I'm sure he will be on the no pile As he has got BBC at A2 doesn't he have to wait now to see what he gets in resits before he can apply
EDIT: Okay forget everything I've just written.

From Nottingham's website http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/vet/pros...Reapplications

Resits

We will normally only recognise the marks achieved at the first complete sitting of the A Level (A2). However, we will consider applicants who have re-sat A Levels, although these will be viewed against the pool of applicants. We will require applicants to attain AAA on their second attempt, rather than our standard offer of AAB (grade A in chemistry and biology). We do not consider any further resits after the second attempt.
So it looks as if he'll need to persuade his psychology teacher to predict him a higher grade too.

For reference, it's best to check the websites for information straight from the horses mouth first before asking people on here who may or may not know what they're on about
jovi1983
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
EDIT: Okay forget everything I've just written.

From Nottingham's website http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/vet/pros...Reapplications

So it looks as if he'll need to persuade his psychology teacher to predict him a higher grade too.

For reference, it's best to check the websites for information straight from the horses mouth first before asking people on here who may or may not know what they're on about
Thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (181)
58.77%
I don't have everything I need (127)
41.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise