The Student Room Group

Should I apply to uni this year?

I only did 2 AS this year, I had some unexpected eye surgeries closel before exams). I was really happy with my grades, 98% UMS in English Lit and 97% Philosophy and Ethics. I want to apply for English.

But my school only told me I could apply with 2 AS, well, yesterday.. They say, they will make my situation clear to unis. But is it worth the risk? I'll have 2 AS at application. And will finish with 3 A2s, but no 4th AS ( next year I'll do AS& A2 Bio)

I have spent the entire summer lounging around, doing no academic reading or anything like that. God I need to write my first personal statement drft in the next 2 weeks! I have no clue where to start, from what I've heard they prefer obscure books. I don't know what to write about, a period of literature, or a concept. I want to be shrrewd with my statement, so that I have some for,m of control over my interview.

Panicking a bit, wish I could apply next year with my A2s, but I won't be able to get those UMS scores again ( A2 Bio, P&E,
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hi there- Sorry you haven't got a response yet. For English personal statement help- check out these fab examples: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:colone:nglish_Personal_StatementsOr have a look at the dedicated forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I've also moved your thread to the applications forum- you should get more replies here. GOOD LUCK! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Big Blue Machine
I only did 2 AS this year, I had some unexpected eye surgeries closel before exams). I was really happy with my grades, 98% UMS in English Lit and 97% Philosophy and Ethics. I want to apply for English.

But my school only told me I could apply with 2 AS, well, yesterday.. They say, they will make my situation clear to unis. But is it worth the risk? I'll have 2 AS at application. And will finish with 3 A2s, but no 4th AS ( next year I'll do AS& A2 Bio)

I have spent the entire summer lounging around, doing no academic reading or anything like that. God I need to write my first personal statement drft in the next 2 weeks! I have no clue where to start, from what I've heard they prefer obscure books. I don't know what to write about, a period of literature, or a concept. I want to be shrrewd with my statement, so that I have some for,m of control over my interview.

Panicking a bit, wish I could apply next year with my A2s, but I won't be able to get those UMS scores again ( A2 Bio, P&E,
Well you can apply if you want to - but you don't have to. In any case, unless you had Oxbridge in mind (don't think you do) you've got until 15th January to get your application in (whatever your school says!). That gives you a lot of time to think about your choices and your PS.

I'm going to summon @Carnationlilyrose to deal with your other queries as she knows a lot better than I do :smile:
Original post by Minerva
Well you can apply if you want to - but you don't have to. In any case, unless you had Oxbridge in mind (don't think you do) you've got until 15th January to get your application in (whatever your school says!). That gives you a lot of time to think about your choices and your PS.

I'm going to summon @Carnationlilyrose to deal with your other queries as she knows a lot better than I do :smile:

I am strongly consdiering applying for Cambridge, apparently they like UMS !
Reply 5
I am strongly consdiering applying for Cambridge, apparently they like UMS !
Well, it's true that they do, but there are other things to think about as well :smile:
Original post by Minerva
Well, it's true that they do, but there are other things to think about as well :smile:

Of course. But I think if get over this personal statement issue, I'll have a shot! :smile: my teachers seem to think so, anyway!
Of course. But I think if get over this personal statement issue, I'll have a shot! :smile: my teachers seem to think so, anyway!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

Here's my sticky on applying for English. I'd only be repeating myself to say it over again, but I will say that they aren't looking for 'obscure books'. I'm pretty sure (in fact I know) that the admissions tutors breathe a sigh of despair at yet another applicant trying to show off and catch them out. What you need to demonstrate is an interest and willingness to engage in literature of all periods and genres, coupled with an independent mind which is capable of exploring a particular taste developed beyond your studies in the classroom. If you can't do this, then I suggest thinking twice about doing English, tbh.

Many English courses don't interview. Too many applicants.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

Here's my sticky on applying for English. I'd only be repeating myself to say it over again, but I will say that they aren't looking for 'obscure books'. I'm pretty sure (in fact I know) that the admissions tutors breathe a sigh of despair at yet another applicant trying to show off and catch them out. What you need to demonstrate is an interest and willingness to engage in literature of all periods and genres, coupled with an independent mind which is capable of exploring a particular taste developed beyond your studies in the classroom. If you can't do this, then I suggest thinking twice about doing English, tbh.

Many English courses don't interview. Too many applicants.

Thanks for your response :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending