4 marks off A* - is it worth getting a remark in History?

Watch
cookieesxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In AS I was 4 marks off 90% so had a high A. At A2 I was 4 marks off 90% again (104/120). My friend told me my coursework doesn't count to get an A* only the exam because in my coursework I had 90% but then the exam board brought it down to a low A (66/80). So is it worth getting the A2 exam remarked to get the extra 4 marks?

I'm on WJEC btw
cookieesxo
Rep:
?
Bump
troubadour.
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cookieesxo)
In AS I was 4 marks off 90% so had a high A. At A2 I was 4 marks off 90% again (104/120). My friend told me my coursework doesn't count to get an A* only the exam because in my coursework I had 90% but then the exam board brought it down to a low A (66/80). So is it worth getting the A2 exam remarked to get the extra 4 marks?

I'm on WJEC btw
I'm not sure whether the rules are different for humanities subjects but I did WJEC for all my science A-levels and the rule in science is that you need 90 percent across all A2 modules, including coursework, to get an A* (you also need 80 percent overall, which you seem to have ).

I would double check the A* rule in history and if it is what you say it is then by all means do so. Since you have very high A grades, you can afford to lose a few marks without losing your already excellent grade, which is a possibility in any remark.

According to www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx, you were 3 raw marks off 108 UMS in HY4. I would advise discussing with your teachers whether it's worth the money - remember, if your grade goes up, you get your money back.

Good luck.
Bluesti2133
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No I took history coursework doesn't count. I would remark but just bare in mind those are UMS marks and maybe many more as a actual exam points.
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bluesti2133)
No I took history coursework doesn't count. I would remark but just bare in mind those are UMS marks and maybe many more as a actual exam points.
Yes but I've looked at the mark-to-UMS table and it equates to about 3 raw marks, which, given that history is a humanities subject and the marking is more subjective, is possible to gain on a remark.
cookieesxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bluesti2133)
(Original post by Hydeman)
I'm not sure whether the rules are different for humanities subjects but I did WJEC for all my science A-levels and the rule in science is that you need 90 percent across all A2 modules, including coursework, to get an A* (you also need 80 percent overall, which you seem to have ).

I would double check the A* rule in history and if it is what you say it is then by all means do so. Since you have very high A grades, you can afford to lose a few marks without losing your already excellent grade, which is a possibility in any remark.

According to www.wjecservices.co.uk/MarkToUMS/default.aspx, you were 3 raw marks off 108 UMS in HY4. I would advise discussing with your teachers whether it's worth the money - remember, if your grade goes up, you get your money back.

Good luck.
Thank you so much guys!! So you reckon the remark is worth it and that it could potentially go up by 3 marks?

I just told my parents and they are really worried they may mark it down and it may go to a B which they (and I) would really hate!

Edit: I just rang WJEC and they said that you had to have 90% in all of the A2 units including HY3 - the coursework so it looks there is no point in remarking then
CD223
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same boat. My history exam was a high B which was a very big surprise as I thought it went well. Sent for a priority remark. When should this come back?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Comeback
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stop getting in a muddle!

You need 80% OVERALL and 90% over the two A2 units. Forget what your friend said.

That means, as you already have an A at AS, you need 180/200 in your A2.

You currently have 170/200 so you need to go up by 10UMS.

That is quite a lot so if you send your A2 exam for a remark it will probably not go up that much. However, if you are willing to risk the money it's up to you. An A is still a fantastic grade, well done!
troubadour.
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much guys!! So you reckon the remark is worth it and that it could potentially go up by 3 marks?

I just told my parents and they are really worried they may mark it down and it may go to a B which they (and I) would really hate!

Edit: I just rang WJEC and they said that you had to have 90% in all of the A2 units including HY3 - the coursework so it looks there is no point in remarking then
Aw, sorry to hear about that. :/ Don't worry though, an A is still an excellent grade.
Elisha Rebekah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm on WJEC btw
I'm sort of in the same boat. I do AQA and was 1 mark off an A* in History, which really annoyed me since I am going to be doing History at university! However, I got into my firm choice (AAA) and I wouldn't want to risk it going down to a B. In the end it's your choice- if you got into your firm, I wouldn't risk it!
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was 7 UMS off an A* which is probably around 5-6 raw marks. I am on AQA and getting a remark. Good luck to you with your remark!
ashl3igh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've got my remark request form ready to give in for edexcel history (a2) however I'm starting to question myself...

Although I got a C in the exam, I am just 3 UMS points away from an A overall. I got into my firm but I was predicted an A and this low C was very out of character for me so I want to get it remarked.

Am I right in thinking that if the top end of the C grade boundary is 279 UMS points and I currently have 317, I would have to drop 38 points in the remark for my overall grade to go down to a C?

I'm aware my grade for that paper could go down but as long as I drop less than 38 points I would still have a B right?
MaxReid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was 6 raw marks (7 UMS) off an A* in History and have also sent off for a priority remark. If you're that close you should just go for it!
ashl3igh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just sent mine off for a non priority remark, hoping I've done the right thing! Fingers crossed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise