Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone else watching this superb programme?

it's prompted me to remember what an amazing player David Beckham is. Remember how we were playing awful against Greece at Old Trafford, looking like we wouldn't be going to the World Cup? And how Beckham took the pitch over, playing at left back, centre defense - he was everywhere. And still he seemed the only player trying then Teddy won us a free-kick and he did the business once again. And how, when we got to the World Cup, he took the nations' nerves upon his shoulders and put away the penalty against the Argies?

Flupping superb.

ReputationRep:
    what time did it start

if gazza isn't in it then it's *******s

ReputationRep:
    doing central midfield now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious stuff)
    what time did it start

if gazza isn't in it then it's *******s
    Beckham's in ahead of Matthews, so it already is.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the centre forwards. As soon as Shearer and Gary Linekar were mentioned, I was wondering how they could play together, cos they are both in the box players. As was said in the programme, who would hold back and who would go in the box?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Beckham's in ahead of Matthews, so it already is.

lol

yeah, it is easy to put in players that are around now I think, i take it this is voted by the public so it is people from this generation voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    I don't agree with the centre forwards. As soon as Shearer and Gary Linekar were mentioned, I was wondering how they could play together, cos they are both in the box players. As was said in the programme, who would hold back and who would go in the box?

I think you've missed the point here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)

I think you've missed the point here.
    Nah, I haven't. I was just saying that if they were going to play together, there would be a bit of a clash of styles. I actually wanted Shearer and Geoff Hurst to be in the team, with Linekar third.

ReputationRep:
    Beckham is grossly over-rated.

ReputationRep:
    How can you pick Shearer ahead of Lineker? A better poacher there's never been (with the possible exception of Gurd Muller). Although how you can have an england dream 11 without a single player from the most succesful club in England is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DuncanM)
    How can you pick Shearer ahead of Lineker? A better poacher there's never been (with the possible exception of Gurd Muller). Although how you can have an england dream 11 without a single player from the most succesful club in England is beyond me.
    whos that?

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool. I see Phil Neal fell victim to 'when in doubt vote whoever played in 1966' syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DuncanM)
    He wasn't picked ahead of Lineker, both were picked.

I pretty much agreed with the team:

GK Banks
    LB S.Pearce
    RB Cohen
    CB Moore
    CB Adams
    LM Finney
    RM Beckham
    CM Gascoigne
    CM B.Charlton
    AT Lineker
    AT Shearer

There's no way Tony Adams should be in there. And I would have had Gazza and Brian Robson in central midfield. Otherwise, I agreee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Beckham is grossly over-rated.
    yep

ReputationRep:
    there must be alot of players who played 30 or so years ago that were much better than some of the people in that team - did they say who was captain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    there must be alot of players who played 30 or so years ago that were much better than some of the people in that team - did they say who was captain?
    harrrr u can imagine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    There was no captain and no manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    There was no captain and no manager.
    Alf Ramsay was the manager.

ReputationRep:
    yeah he was, not a bad team though, some of the players were before my time so i didnt really know how good they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    He wasn't picked ahead of Lineker, both were picked.

There's no way Tony Adams should be in there. And I would have had Gazza and Brian Robson in central midfield. Otherwise, I agreee.
    I was talking to Xenon about the Shearer/Lineker thing. Surely bobby charltons gotta be in your side, I don't like him but 49 goals from midfield is an incredible record

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.