TimmyR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I got bad AS results and reasons why are a long story so I'm retaking Year 12, hopefully at another college and not my school sixth form, which is ranked very very poorly.

Now, the A levels I'll be doing will be the linear ones introduced this year in September. I feel there's going to be a whole host of problems with these as they have all exams at the end of the 2 years as opposed to being broken up half way.

1) How would I practice past papers, when none exists for the new specification yet as it's the first of its kind???

2) If AS levels and A levels are currently coupled, where you sit exams in year 12 and year 13 (50% each respectively) then would the pressure and amount of exams be doubled in the new specification, as all exams are sat at year 13 only??

3) How will future retakes take place? Would it be virtually impractical, assuming you'd need to retake TWO years as opposed to only your AS? Sounds like a one shot only to me.

4) What will universities base grades off? GCSEs? Mock exams? There's no half way point to provide established merit from the year and a good way to predict A2 grades to make a conditional offer right? People also change a lot, very quickly, GCSEs serve no valid prediction for uni I feel.

Sorry I wrote this rather quickly I'm just confused and need answers.
TimmyR
Rep:
?
bump?
CSL123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm so scared too. I've already had panic attacks in exams because of the pressure I felt at the time, so I'm so scared
minaeshi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Someone please answer this!! I would like to know too since I also want to retake my AS year at another college!
TimmyR
Rep:
?
Surprised there are no threads with answers to this. should be some official ones soon come September. Hate these reforms...
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TimmyR)

1) How would I practice past papers, when none exists for the new specification yet as it's the first of its kind???

2) If AS levels and A levels are currently coupled, where you sit exams in year 12 and year 13 (50% each respectively) then would the pressure and amount of exams be doubled in the new specification, as all exams are sat at year 13 only??

3) How will future retakes take place? Would it be virtually impractical, assuming you'd need to retake TWO years as opposed to only your AS? Sounds like a one shot only to me.

4) What will universities base grades off? GCSEs? Mock exams? There's no half way point to provide established merit from the year and a good way to predict A2 grades to make a conditional offer right? People also change a lot, very quickly, GCSEs serve no valid prediction for uni I feel.
1. It is likely the examiners and publishers will produce practice papers for the new specifications. Revision guides and revision workbooks are already available and more are in the pipeline.
2. there won't be double the number of exams (check the specifications for your examiner/subject) but all of the content will indeed be examined in the second year (Note: Many candidates resitting a lot of AS exams in A2 year effectively already do that now). Everyone will be in the same boat but those with good memories for cramming lots of information will be at an advantage.
3. if you need to retake you will have to retake all of the exams in a third year of study. I agree fewer students will probably take this route and more will drop out of education or simply accept the best option their first attempt allows them. Without the kick up the *** that AS exams provide I do worry that some students will not achieve their full potential.
4. universities will base their offers on teacher predictions as they do now and optional AS results where students take them, teachers will set end of year 12 progress exams that will factor into their predictions.
OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
bump?
What subjects did you take?
TimmyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
1. It is likely the examiners and publishers will produce practice papers for the new specifications. Revision guides and revision workbooks are already available and more are in the pipeline.
2. there won't be double the number of exams (check the specifications for your examiner/subject) but all of the content will indeed be examined in the second year (Note: Many candidates resitting a lot of AS exams in A2 year effectively already do that now). Everyone will be in the same boat but those with good memories for cramming lots of information will be at an advantage.
3. if you need to retake you will have to retake all of the exams in a third year of study. I agree fewer students will probably take this route and more will drop out of education or simply accept the best option their first attempt allows them. Without the kick up the *** that AS exams provide I do worry that some students will not achieve their full potential.
4. universities will base their offers on teacher predictions as they do now and optional AS results where students take them, teachers will set end of year 12 progress exams that will factor into their predictions.
Ah okay, clears a few things up. Still sceptical though very worried.
TimmyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by OGGUS)
What subjects did you take?
AS levels were

English Lang + Lit, Biology, Geography and Psychology

For Psychology I never failed any mock and was predicted A/B and got a U. lmao no idea how. The whole class got U/E.
For English I got a C.
Geography I got a D
and Biology I got a U, but I got full marks in my coursework so now idea how that works out.

100% resitting now lol.
Claudious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Each exam board should release "template" (wrong word but yolo) exams
Loopy91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There will still be AS exams, but it wont count towards the A level
At the end of Year 13, you will do the A level exam which is both AS and A2 together, but in year 12, you'll take the AS exam which you will have on your certificate, but it wont count for the A level.
I guess that's what universities are going to use for predicted grades.
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also Geography A Level isn't being reformed until Sept 2016, so it's still modular - AS+ A2 = AL so you can relax a bit with that in mind
Some are being reformed this year some a year later.
TimmyR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyle1198)
At the end of Year 13, you will do the A level exam which is both AS and A2 together, but in year 12, you'll take the AS exam which you will have on your certificate, but it wont count for the A level.
Yeah thank you I'm already aware of this but sounds like such a confusing approach. So in theory taking 4 a levels gives you 8 qualifications (4 AS levels and 4 proper A levels)
Ahh I hate education.

Also Geography A Level isn't being reformed until Sept 2016, so it's still modular - AS+ A2 = AL so you can relax a bit with that in mind
Some are being reformed this year some a year later.
Yeah I picked up on that. Would universities use that AS as a prediction in the modular instead of teacher predictions/mocks in the linear?
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah thank you I'm already aware of this but sounds like such a confusing approach. So in theory taking 4 a levels gives you 8 qualifications (4 AS levels and 4 proper A levels)
Ahh I hate education.

Yeah I picked up on that. Would universities use that AS as a prediction in the modular instead of teacher predictions/mocks in the linear?
Yes, and they will also use your other AS results at the end of year 12 as a prediction.
I was told some schools may not choose to enter you for the AS, but most will. If your teacher chooses not to enter you for AS, your GCSE's may take a bigger role in predicting grades I believe
I think once you have the 4 A Levels (or 3, you can still drop one), it will trump the AS level in that subject, so basically you will probably really leave with 3 A Levels and 1 AS.
It's so stupid I know. Makes me wish I was a year older
TimmyR
Rep:
?
Yes, and they will also use your other AS results at the end of year 12 as a prediction.
I was told some schools may not choose to enter you for the AS, but most will. If your teacher chooses not to enter you for AS, your GCSE's may take a bigger role in predicting grades I believe
I think once you have the 4 A Levels (or 3, you can still drop one), it will trump the AS level in that subject, so basically you will probably really leave with 3 A Levels and 1 AS.
It's so stupid I know. Makes me wish I was a year older
I am a year older haha I thought I was so lucky and thanked Jesus and my mum for the miracle being born in 1998.
Turns out I failed, thanks bottom 50 in the country school lmao and naive self thinking A levels didn't require attention in the first half the year.
Ugh so serious when I change to a new school. I even need to wear uniform...
NightLyfe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to retake year 12, so if I wanted to drop a subject by the end of this retake year, would I base that on the AS test I do, which you say doesn't count toward the final A level?
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a year older haha I thought I was so lucky and thanked Jesus and my mum for the miracle being born in 1998.
Turns out I failed, thanks bottom 50 in the country school lmao and naive self thinking A levels didn't require attention in the first half the year.
Ugh so serious when I change to a new school. I even need to wear uniform...
Uniform? I thought the most formal thing for 6th form was a dress code but oh.
And aha, what do you wish you did differently? I'm starting in September, and all these 'I failed' stories are making me apprehensive
Good luck in everything.
Also, Idk, can't you resit some of the modules alongside A2, I mean you got 2 passes? Or did you get kicked out or..?
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NightLyfe)
I want to retake year 12, so if I wanted to drop a subject by the end of this retake year, would I base that on the AS test I do, which you say doesn't count toward the final A level?
I believe so.
Though I thought people based it on more than just what they got in their AS' no?
TimmyR
Rep:
?
Uniform? I thought the most formal thing for 6th form was a dress code but oh.
And aha, what do you wish you did differently? I'm starting in September, and all these 'I failed' stories are making me apprehensive
Good luck in everything.
Also, Idk, can't you resit some of the modules alongside A2, I mean you got 2 passes? Or did you get kicked out or..?
No I did not get kicked out My sixth form is very poor with many drop outs so they can't afford to kick anyone, and the school reputation is very bad I've explained this a lot to compensate for my grades. I just need to accept them now.

erm and I thought that too? But a new college I was looking at does have a uniform I think. My friend applied, he also failed this year and we have similar GCSE grades and he got in. I have my interview on Monday.

A levels are very difficult when comparing a single A level to a single GCSE. You do more GCSEs obviously, but 1 A level at a C grade is equivalent to a GCSE at an A grade depending on which A level and which GCSE. The bright side is you'll hopefully love your subjects, so exploring them in more depth is exciting, not boring (me in math GCSE). There's no time for messing around, you must be prepared from the beginning, organised and not take your lessons for granted as most of your work/study will be OUTSIDE the classroom.
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No I did not get kicked out My sixth form is very poor with many drop outs so they can't afford to kick anyone, and the school reputation is very bad I've explained this a lot to compensate for my grades. I just need to accept them now.

erm and I thought that too? But a new college I was looking at does have a uniform I think. My friend applied, he also failed this year and we have similar GCSE grades and he got in. I have my interview on Monday.

A levels are very difficult when comparing a single A level to a single GCSE. You do more GCSEs obviously, but 1 A level at a C grade is equivalent to a GCSE at an A grade depending on which A level and which GCSE. The bright side is you'll hopefully love your subjects, so exploring them in more depth is exciting, not boring (me in math GCSE). There's no time for messing around, you must be prepared from the beginning, organised and not take your lessons for granted as most of your work/study will be OUTSIDE the classroom.
So you're going to look like a school boy again? Throwback to secondary days I guess.
What did you get in your gcses?
Thank you for the tips, I am losing sleep on the new a levels, especially cos they're harder than old ones and we'll be the guinea pig year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (231)
60.95%
No (79)
20.84%
Not sure (69)
18.21%

Watched Threads