The Student Room Group

Concerns about the new A levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyle1198
There will still be AS exams, but it wont count towards the A level
At the end of Year 13, you will do the A level exam which is both AS and A2 together, but in year 12, you'll take the AS exam which you will have on your certificate, but it wont count for the A level.
I guess that's what universities are going to use for predicted grades.

Im abit confused? So would it be that you sit your AS exams in year 12 but it won't count till the end of year 13? Is that what your saying?
Reply 21
Original post by Kyle1198
So you're going to look like a school boy again? Throwback to secondary days I guess.
What did you get in your gcses?
Thank you for the tips, I am losing sleep on the new a levels, especially cos they're harder than old ones and we'll be the guinea pig year. :colonhash:

I only got above average I guess. 1 A 3 Bs and 2 Cs and a Distinction* I think but I forgot them to be honest. they're irrelevant once you finish A levels
Reply 22
Original post by franceskafisher
Im abit confused? So would it be that you sit your AS exams in year 12 but it won't count till the end of year 13? Is that what your saying?

Yeah. a standalone qualification. It's so stupid.
Original post by franceskafisher

Yes that is what I'm saying.
Ik it's very confusing
Basically at the end of year 12, you sit the AS exam, but it counts for nothing but the schools league table and ofc predicted grades/basis for university offers.
In year 13, you will sit both AS and A2 together in one year, so a final grade will be formed then.
Those a levels will supersede the AS exams you sat in those subjects a year earlier. You can still drop subjects, you will just have an AS level like how it was for the past 15 years
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by TimmyR
AS levels were

English Lang + Lit, Biology, Geography and Psychology

For Psychology I never failed any mock and was predicted A/B and got a U. lmao no idea how. The whole class got U/E.
For English I got a C.
Geography I got a D :frown: :frown:
and Biology I got a U, but I got full marks in my coursework so now idea how that works out.

100% resitting now lol.

It's most likely just a bad year. The exams this year have been exceptionally hard compared to previous years and the way they have been marked. Because if your getting As and Bs. The exam must have been seriously silly or have some sort of difficulty rate which was beyond the average mock you done. Considering the whole class got U/E. The pass rate must have been low too.
Original post by TimmyR
A level at a C grade is equivalent to a GCSE at an A grade depending on which A level and which GCSE.

Source? I'd argue that the difference is actually larger than that.
Reply 26
Original post by HeskeyLAD
Source? I'd argue that the difference is actually larger than that.

I heard A* is equivalent to a C. But it varies
Original post by OGGUS

For STEM subjects, certainly not. You can't really compare them to be quite honest. I wouldn't say it's the same with English (Lit or Lang) either but definitely not to the same extent as STEM subjects, don't know about the rest.
Reply 28
For STEM subjects, certainly not. You can't really compare them to be quite honest. I wouldn't say it's the same with English (Lit or Lang) either but definitely not to the same extent as STEM subjects, don't know about the rest.

I heard it about essay subjects
Original post by OGGUS
I heard it about essay subjects

Nah, it's probably not true. Hard work is much more crucial and translates into higher grades at A-level as opposed to GCSE, which some people can just memorise and ace them. I got an A in English Language GCSE and got a D at A-level. Of course, one of my units have been completely screwed up which I'm putting forward for a remark but it would be illogical for me to say that I haven't improved substantially in English. Meaning, if I was at GCSE I'd feel as though I'm doing better than an A* - if that makes sense. The mediums are difficult to compare accurately.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Nah, it's probably not true. Hard work is much more crucial and translates into higher grades at A-level as opposed to GCSE, which some people can just memorise and ace them. I got an A in English Language GCSE and got a D at A-level. Of course, one of my units have been completely screwed up which I'm putting forward for a remark but it would be illogical for me to say that I haven't improved substantially in English. Meaning, if I was at GCSE I'd feel as though I'm doing better than an A* - if that makes sense. The mediums are difficult to compare accurately.

I didn't say it was true... I just heard it
Original post by OGGUS
I didn't say it was true... I just heard it

...and all I did was post my input? What's wrong? lol
Reply 32
...and all I did was post my input? What's wrong? lol

nothing wrong. I didn't mean to offend you sorry
Original post by OGGUS
nothing wrong. I didn't mean to offend you sorry

Why are you sorry lol, im laughing xD

Eh, I didn't do well at AS just like OP, and I'd much rather not have to do everything at the end with this quirky and unnecessary reform. Too much pressure and stress for me.
Reply 34
Why are you sorry lol, im laughing xD

Eh, I didn't do well at AS just like OP, and I'd much rather not have to do everything at the end with this quirky and unnecessary reform. Too much pressure and stress for me.

I was joking
Reply 35
I'd consider doing IB this time around if possible. The new system seems pretty strange and could cause some issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by OGGUS

Yeah perhaps you're right. An A level C is beyond a GCSE A definitely. Not sure if that contains both AS and A2 when referring to 'A level'?
What would an AS be equivalent too? I'm sure it's still significantly more difficult, I know from my own experience.
Original post by iBall
I'd consider doing IB this time around if possible. The new system seems pretty strange and could cause some issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMO IB makes it more difficult to meet uni requirements (speaking as someone who did the IB, did well in the IB, but was rejected by unis because of petty variables). You have to meet both the total points offer and the HL requirement. Someone could get 41, but get 765 (for example) and still be rejected by a uni asking for 666 HL.
Regarding how you would revise for them without past papers. I've already gone through some of the specimen papers myself, some of the content in it was related to my A2 chemistry which I used as more preparation. For physics and Chemistry I had exhausted all the past papers for my exam and went on to do AQA past papers as well. I didn't print out full complete AQA past papers as some of the topics were unrelated or things I did in AS. I also went far back to 2001 and did the OCR papers for chemistry their.
If your determined to do well, once you get through a topic ask your teacher for any resources that u can use to practice, if they don't then google is your best friend :smile:!
I don't think the content they add in will be brand new and I'm sure it will have been tested in the UK in the past 15 years. If you prepare well enough your onset to get an A because grade boundaries could be lower if students just used textbooks created for the new spec.
Reply 39
Original post by ILovePancakes
IMO IB makes it more difficult to meet uni requirements (speaking as someone who did the IB, did well in the IB, but was rejected by unis because of petty variables). You have to meet both the total points offer and the HL requirement. Someone could get 41, but get 765 (for example) and still be rejected by a uni asking for 666 HL.

Oh I see... sounds pretty harsh

Quick Reply

Latest