The Student Room Group

Concerns about the new A levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Aishraat
Oh, my understanding of it was that I'd sit AS at end of year 12 and A level in Year 13, I am restarting a levels this year...... So I'll be doing AS+A level exams all at end of year 13? I don't think that's the way it works for me.... I think I have to pass AS before I do the A level that's what I got told from the college tutors I think....... but it won't be changing for edexcel maths this year.....

Are you continuing onto A2 or retaking AS levels (so retaking year 12?)
If you're continuing to A2 in September there will be no changed. If you chose to resit year 12 then I believe you will take the new linear A levels??
I'm not sure...
Original post by TimmyR
Are you continuing onto A2 or retaking AS levels (so retaking year 12?)
If you're continuing to A2 in September there will be no changed. If you chose to resit year 12 then I believe you will take the new linear A levels??
I'm not sure...

I am starting a fresh, but I did 6th form for around 1 month last year......... I worked really hard but only got about C/Ds on homework so I left, unaware that the syllabus would be changing to what it will be for most of my subjects.... So I will be doing the new ones, I will not be resitting :smile:
Original post by TimmyR
Actually, under the current system A levels are half and half. Half in year 12 (AS level, which stands for Advanced Subsidiary I believe) and an A2, the other half in year 13 to complete the whole A level. It's 50/50. However, from September ALL A level exams will be taken at the end of year 13 in a new linear fashion, apart from a few A levels which keep the current modular system (i.e. Geography) until they are reformed in 2016. From September, if you are taking A levels, it is very likely they will be sat at the end of year 13 but some specifications and exam boards are different and not all A levels are being reformed in 2015.

AS levels still exist but they will be 'de-coupled' and not part of the A level.
To be honest I prefer the current system over the new one.
I think half in year 12 and half year 13 is much better and helps kick in the reality of A levels before it's too late.

How did you know all about this ? Send me the link to where you got the information from because it want to read it.
Reply 103
Original post by Rock-Sophie
How did you know all about this ? Send me the link to where you got the information from because it want to read it.

Just type 'A level reforms' or 'new linear A levels' or something along them lines and there should be plenty of articles for research.

Here is an article from 2014 explaining the changes that would take place in 2015.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationopinion/11182098/A-level-reforms-a-new-levelof-confusion.html
Reply 104
I am starting a fresh, but I did 6th form for around 1 month last year......... I worked really hard but only got about C/Ds on homework so I left, unaware that the syllabus would be changing to what it will be for most of my subjects.... So I will be doing the new ones, I will not be resitting :smile:

Original post by Rock-Sophie

What A levels are you taking??
what are legacy exams?

An exam after what should be the final set of exams to allow people to retake.

In other words I am saying there will probably be exams for AS modules again this year for those who are resitting. For some subjects this will have to happen anyway, such as maths, where applied modules can be taken in either year so will have to be set again next year for those taking them as A2 modules.

Quick Reply

Latest