The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Neutrinohunter
Well the direction vector of D is AB i think

Yeah it is :rolleyes:
Reply 161
kenkennykenken
There's vector A and vector B, and you can work out the line AB. If D is a point on line AB, how do i find the position vector of D such that OD is perpendicular to AB? I don't know how to apply dot product here as I don't know anything about D...

If D lies on AB then the equation of AB = D

Stems from:

r=a+tp therefore:
D=a+tp
whats tp :confused: lol

vectors are definitely my weak area
Neutrinohunter
whats tp :confused: lol

vectors are definitely my weak area

ok basically it is very simple.

You have AB, so u can easily work out the equation of the line AB rite?
Assume line AB (where t is the parameter) is:

r
= 2i+3j+4k+t(i+j+k)

since D lies on the line AB, then the vector of D MUST BE:
r = d = 2i+3j+4k+t(i+j+k) where some UNKNOWN value of t is to be found.

Equate is and js and ks:
d = (2+t)i + (3+t)j + (4+t)k

Then uve been told OD is perpendicular to AB. So the direction vector of OD = (2+t)i + (3+t)j + (4+t)k - O
= (2+t)i + (3+t)j + (4+t)k
You know the direction vector of AB = (i+j+k)
So therefore dot.product rule (90 degrees makes it equal to 0)
(i+j+k).[(2+t)i+(3+t)j+(4+t)k] = o

Now find the answer to the dot.product rule and you will get t. Substitute t into d or r to get the answer required.

Basically this question is just finding "t" the parameter. Really standard stuff and I hope we get it in tomorrows exam, but I reckon itll be a really hard vector coz im unlucky :redface:.
Oh t is the paramter used in the direction vector.

Ahh just confused me used to lambda and mew notation. Thanks for the reply
Reply 165
how can parametric equations be integrated and whats the best way to integrate (secx)^2 tanx dx
eddiedaboss
how can parametric equations be integrated and whats the best way to integrate (secx)^2 tanx dx

You'll have e.g. x = 3sint and y = sint^2t

Rearrange x=3sint to x/3=sint t, so y = (x/3)^2, then you can just integrate that
Bhaal85
1) ∫sec²x.tanx using substitution u=secx

u=secx, du/dx=tanxsecx dx=du/tanxsecx therefore:

∫sec²x.tanx dx = 1) ∫sec²x.tanx du/tanxsecx, it cancels down to:
∫secx du therefore:
∫u du = (u^2)/2 + c = sec^2x+c or tanx+1

What happened to the /2 ? u=sec x so isn't ∫u du = (u^2)/2 + c = ((sec x)^2)/2 +c ?

Plus (sec x)^2 = (tan x)^2 + 1
Reply 168
SamTheMan
What happened to the /2 ? u=sec x so isn't ∫u du = (u^2)/2 + c = ((sec x)^2)/2 +c ?

Plus (sec x)^2 = (tan x)^2 + 1

I think you are ever so slightly confused. When you are told that u='something' you must always differentiate u wrt x. The differentition of u=sec is du/dx=tanxsecx, if you don't believe me use the quotient rule.
Bhaal85
I think you are ever so slightly confused. When you are told that u='something' you must always differentiate u wrt x. The differentition of u=sec is du/dx=tanxsecx, if you don't believe me use the quotient rule.

There's no question of u in what I wrote:
Result = (u^2)/2 + c so you replace u with its value wrt x
which gives:
((sec x)^2)/2 +c

There are no maths there

What's more you can't write: "sec^2x+c or tanx+1"
I think you meant "sec^2x+c or tan^2x+c' " (the c' is c+1, you could always just keep the term c)
Reply 170
I lose :frown:
I know very little, and the things I do know, I always manage to mess up :frown: :frown: :frown: - the next few hours will be quite depressing. :frown:
Reply 171
SamTheMan
There's no question of u in what I wrote:
Result = (u^2)/2 + c so you replace u with its value wrt x
which gives:
((sec x)^2)/2 +c

There are no maths there

What's more you can't write: "sec^2x+c or tanx+1"
I think you meant "sec^2x+c or tan^2x+c' " (the c' is c+1, you could always just keep the term c)

Oh, yeah, I see what you meant know, I had it over two and forgot to divide, damn, thanks for pointing that out, I sometimes make silly mistakes like that.

sec^2x=tan^2x+1 therefore the answer could be:

1/2(sec^2x)+c or 1/2(tan^2x+1) +c
I had a read through of that stuff, hopefully to revise it, and thankfully, didn't find any of it useful, as i know all that stuff all ready, which is actually a really good thing :smile: .
I'll rep you for it anyway, because alot of works gone into it, but i can't rep until later.

Thanks for reassuring me that i might just get a passing grade :smile:
Reply 173
Final message of the day.

Good luck and stay calm, also drink lots of water but not so much so that you have to go to the toilet every 5 minutes. Don't forget your calculators!!!
Bhaal85
Oh, yeah, I see what you meant know, I had it over two and forgot to divide, damn, thanks for pointing that out, I sometimes make silly mistakes like that.

sec^2x=tan^2x+1 therefore the answer could be:

1/2(sec^2x)+c or 1/2(tan^2x+1) +c

That was what I was trying to point out. The final step was done a bit quickly. As for the whole integration/substition I wasn't questionning anything.

Sorry to such a bugger but if you wanted to simplify the +1 is useless when you have a constant c.

So you could just write 1/2(tan^2x) +c if you liked. Because c can take on any constant value but I can't imagine any teacher taking away points for that.
Bhaal85
Final message of the day.

Good luck and stay calm, also drink lots of water but not so much so that you have to go to the toilet every 5 minutes. Don't forget your calculators!!!

Oh, that reminds me...
Just a quick Q... which calculators can you use?
Is it just scientific ones, or graphical ones as well.
I remember one of them (P2 or P3) you can use more calculators on, but i never remember which.
Reply 176
Good luck everyone!!!
*dave*
Good luck everyone!!!

Don't need luck.... i've got guesswork!
last minute thing, special triangles always seem to appear in OCR. learn them!

lou xxx
Reply 179
lou p
last minute thing, special triangles always seem to appear in OCR. learn them!

lou xxx

∫ ² ³ ± ÷ ° √ ∂ ∞ ≈ ≠ ≡ ≥ ≤ ø Ø ½ ¼ « » µ π

Little tip. If you want to know the values of sin30, sin 45, sin60, cos30, etc. Just type them into your calulator:

e.g.

Sin45 = 0.707106781...... square this number to get 1/2, then just square root 1/2 leaving 1/√2 which is 0.707106781..... but in an EXACT form!

Ok another example:

Sin60=0.866025403........square this number to get 3/4 then square root:

√3/√4 = √3/2 which again is 0.866025403.....

√3/√2 = Sin60
Saves all the hassle of learning them triangles.

Latest

Trending

Trending