Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i have lured myself into a HUGE false sense of security and think i'll be ok with this....even though deep down something is telling me i won't! anyne else fretting? i don't know why i am tbh, i don't need the grade! i just wanna prove to myself that it wasn't a waste of time taking it up this year

ReputationRep:
    what is it on

AS English is not so full on

A2 however...

don't panic- you will be fine..because if you know what each poem is about and what the main arguments are in each then you will be ok for that...on streetcar it is the same themes over and over again so if you know what they are and what is associated with each charachter, and what thier desires are and about how they survive then that should be ok...i don't know anything about the book you did but i am looking forward to that paper the least..infact not at all..I HATE YOU WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!!!!!(i do want the book to burn on a bonfire!!!!!!)

actually saying that i am worrying loads-didnt do any revision yesterday as i have developed a horrible sore throat and mouth-somebody let me go to bed and curl up and sleep till next week or something..

going to learn lots of streetcar quotes today and look at some Wuthering Heights questions..

so now im thinking that if i don't know it now..then i never will..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    ..I HATE YOU WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!!!!!(i do want the book to burn on a bonfire!!!!!!)..
    Trust me, it can't be any worse than Waterland, that has got to be the worst book I have ever read in my life....

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone for tomorrow!

I'm going to spend most of the day cramming for my resit tomorrow (AQA unit 3).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    Trust me, it can't be any worse than Waterland, that has got to be the worst book I have ever read in my life....

i agree!!! arhghghghgh!!! its new on the syllabus as well, so theres only 2 questions for it....do u happen to know what they were by the way? one was on chapter 3 wasn't it?

(Original post by Cellardore)
    its probably actually an ok book...its just ive built up a little complex over it as we did it at the start of the course when i was going through ALOT of problems..which i stupidly took it all out on english..silly me so im expecting not to do very well on that part of the paper

ReputationRep:
    Wuthering Heights? Heh, try Hard Times by Dickens...that's nasty. Especially if you get a question on Trade Unions or the Hands *prays not to get a Trade Union/Hands question* . I think I could deal with anything else...

I'm also doing A Streetcar - that's not too bad, probably the best out of the lot. Really worried about poetry..ah well.

(Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    Wuthering Heights? Heh, try Hard Times by Dickens...that's nasty. Especially if you get a question on Trade Unions or the Hands *prays not to get a Trade Union/Hands question* . I think I could deal with anything else...

I'm also doing A Streetcar - that's not too bad, probably the best out of the lot. Really worried about poetry..ah well.
    i think im probably more worried about streetcar than the poetry-ive done so many questions on the poetry that it should be ok

ReputationRep:
    Been trying to revise my lit today as well, and have managed to read through most of Dr Faustus again referring to my revision guide along the way/adding more notes. I think I'm gonna do really badly on it tho.

I'm pretty confident with my poetry even though our class was taught an anthology no longer on our specification (Duffy's 'Mean Time')... turns out we should have been learning 'The World's Wife'. Anyway, we've only been learning that for 2 or so months but we've covered all the poems and at least it's fresh in my brain.

I HATE The Handmaid's Tale. Nuff said.

(Original post by zombie)
    Been trying to revise my lit today as well, and have managed to read through most of Dr Faustus again referring to my revision guide along the way/adding more notes. I think I'm gonna do really badly on it tho.

I'm pretty confident with my poetry even though our class was taught an anthology no longer on our specification (Duffy's 'Mean Time')... turns out we should have been learning 'The World's Wife'. Anyway, we've only been learning that for 2 or so months but we've covered all the poems and at least it's fresh in my brain.

i was in that as a play..was muchos fun, so i would love to study it..lucky you it is far more interesting than streetcar *runs off to hide from her entire english class trying to kill her for just saying that*

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!.. I always get more nervous before English exams than any other subject. Mainly because you can never tell how well you've revised- but nerves are good.. it gets the adrenalin going so you can write faster

ReputationRep:
    Quite. I have this terrible fear of going into the exam and then forgetting the whole plot.

I think I'm just going to have to fluke the poetry paper, at least we'll have the text...however, my class did not read all the poems so fingers-crossed they ask about Aurora Leigh.
    And finally The Glass Menagerie. Does anyone agree that this is one of the most predictable pieces of fiction EVER (excepting Austen *rolls eyes*)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing that too.. I really don't like the play, it's been my nemesis in unit three because I haven't read it properly. My own fault, I know. Comfort yourself with the fact we're not going to get a bloody stupid question like in the January exam. The question was so incredibly stupid, but the other one was too easy and I'm so conceited I took the harder option. Never mind.

Anyway, if all goes well then I'll have finished the play by the end of today and I'll actually do decently in that exam. If all goes badly, I'll still have my first mark from May 2003, which was one mark off an A. Why am I so stubborn?

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with Waterland? Anyone that needs help with it post here and I can help you out.

As far as John Donne is concerned, can I get away with not knowing some of the poems? I am not too good on the valedictory ones (Song, Sweetest Love I do not go) and Elegy 16 On his mistress. Do I need to learn all the poems thoroughly?

ReputationRep:
    ok i officially give up- sat in the garden for a couple of hours, during which i lazily looked over some john donne, did some essay plans for john donne, read through bits of streetcar, fell asleep, rang a friend, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    What is wrong with Waterland? Anyone that needs help with it post here and I can help you out.

As far as John Donne is concerned, can I get away with not knowing some of the poems? I am not too good on the valedictory ones (Song, Sweetest Love I do not go) and Elegy 16 On his mistress. Do I need to learn all the poems thoroughly?

d u know what the questions for waterland were? the nes that came up in january that is.....i really don't know how to do questions which say things like *what is the relationship between x and x in this chapter* most of them don't define the relationships well enough to be able to write for 20 mins on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    as for john donne, what don't you get about Song and on his mistres? they are both about parting, both show (on the surface) a tender and compassionate attitude towards the lover...however if you look at the last few lines of OHM, where it gives lists like *o my love is slaine....fight, stabb'd* etc, i think he's mocking his lover for beign so worried. In song the 4th stanza is quite negative, he's almost blackmailing her into not worrying, because when she cries she makes him upset, *thou sigh'st my soule away*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    d u know what the questions for waterland were? the nes that came up in january that is.....i really don't know how to do questions which say things like *what is the relationship between x and x in this chapter* most of them don't define the relationships well enough to be able to write for 20 mins on it!
    No, but it is in three parts.

The first tests understanding. Just write what happens in the chapter, basically.
    The second tests your ability to analyse the text. So Swift's techniques are to be discussed.
    The third test tests your wider knowledge of the themes of the text.

Remember that the first question needs to be answered specifically and that it does not pertain to style. Obviously the second needs to be answered specifically too, with lots of textual detail (quotes).

Don't waffle in the first two questions and don't spend too much time on them.

The third question should be really easy. There is just so much to write about with Waterland, on almost any theme. Feel free to ask if you don't get something.

Remember that Swift's style is didactic and postmodern (don't write this if you don't understand what that means, btw, as you'll have to prove it).

I simply don't know those two Donne poems that well. I can only remember a few lines of quotes from each. Essentially my nighmare question would ask me to 'consider one other poem of depature'. Or something. Because that would leave me with one of the two to write about. I know Valediction: forbidding Mourning better than those two combined, it's a shame it's not on the syllabus.

How many Donne quotations have you learnt?

ReputationRep:
    Btw, if the relationship is not defined, then say so. Because the question will be 'what do you learn' rather than 'write about', I should think. The fact that they are not defined is because Crick himself is unsure of what he is talking about. So say that. That's the beauty of Waterland - if something's complex, it's because Crick doesn't understand it either. Both the reader and Crick share the experience.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.