Turn on thread page Beta

meeep english lit AS monday eeeek watch

ReputationRep:
    erm i haven't got a clue! i've got post-its everywhere with 2 or 3 quotes from different poems, but only the essential bits of the quote. we had a revision day with one of the chief examines about a month ago, she said that as long as we make clear textual reference, it'll be fine- we don't necessairily need to quote reams of the poem exactly....one word bits would do. for example, in the other Song (goe catche) u could quote things like *falling starre....Divels foot...Mermaides....* etc etc...you'll be getting your point across

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    Btw, if the relationship is not defined, then say so. Because the question will be 'what do you learn' rather than 'write about', I should think. The fact that they are not defined is because Crick himself is unsure of what he is talking about. So say that. That's the beauty of Waterland - if something's complex, it's because Crick doesn't understand it either. Both the reader and Crick share the experience.

ooooh thank yee that penny never dropped lol....

(Original post by priya)
    erm i haven't got a clue! i've got post-its everywhere with 2 or 3 quotes from different poems, but only the essential bits of the quote. we had a revision day with one of the chief examines about a month ago, she said that as long as we make clear textual reference, it'll be fine- we don't necessairily need to quote reams of the poem exactly....one word bits would do. for example, in the other Song (goe catche) u could quote things like *falling starre....Divels foot...Mermaides....* etc etc...you'll be getting your point across
    well that is a bit of a relief....

and i am so going to end up making up loads of streetcar quotes..well i have a friend who makes up critics and gives them names in her essays but i wont go as far as that..

ReputationRep:
    lol, thats what i did for art publishers/biographers! so much fun.....i lead such a sad life

gonna be a good girl and do a Donne essay ina bit...wooo! i can't do them within the time limit though so i'm gonna have fun tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    i am seriously panicking about tomorow's exam
    good luck to eveyone though

ReputationRep:
    Anyone need any more Waterland help?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone who's posted on this thread, and anyone who's not but is also doin their lit AS (or A2) tomorrow.

I can't tell you guys how much I'm dreading the exam - I think I'll be alright as long as there's a question on Moira from the Handmaid's Tale. I heart Moira. She rocks my world (even though she wouldn't go for me because I'm a guy and she goes for girls... *MUST REMEMBER NOT TO REFER TO FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AS REAL PEOPLE - EVEN IN THE CASE OF MOIRA*.

I think lit has driven me round the bend, but anyway, good luck all - I'm hoping everyone spent ages on their coursework and got a great mark so doesn't have soooooo much depending on their exams.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpety bump.

So what did everyone think of it?

Most likely we all did different anthologies/novels/plays - I did Dr. Faustus, The Handmaid's Tale and The World's Wife.

Seems to me that out of the choice of 2 questions for each section there was 1 really hard one and one easy one (needless to say I chose the easy ones!).. but that's just me. Reckon I did okay, but you can never really tell. At least I did well in my coursework which is worth a whole module so at least I have some marks already.

What did everyone else make of it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I did Edexcel and found it fine.

For the drama (The Devil's Disciple) and poetry (Anthology) both questions seemed OK, but for the prose (Frankenstein) question a) was downright evil! I did b) for each one. Had to reign myself in a bit at times, but no serious problems. However, in English it's always impossible to tell how well you've done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Bumpety bump.

So what did everyone think of it?

Most likely we all did different anthologies/novels/plays - I did Dr. Faustus, The Handmaid's Tale and The World's Wife.

Seems to me that out of the choice of 2 questions for each section there was 1 really hard one and one easy one (needless to say I chose the easy ones!).. but that's just me. Reckon I did okay, but you can never really tell. At least I did well in my coursework which is worth a whole module so at least I have some marks already.

What did everyone else make of it?
    well.....it didn't go too bad did it? i did the same texts as you. is any1 currently doing eng. lit. for A2, or going to? i'm quite undecided as to whether i shud do it or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igloo)
    well.....it didn't go too bad did it? i did the same texts as you. is any1 currently doing eng. lit. for A2, or going to? i'm quite undecided as to whether i shud do it or not.
    Yeah, I'm half an half. I don't want to drop anything else so the only subject I'd consider dropping is lit. I've decided that it depends on my grade. If I do well I'll see if I can fit it into my timetable an do 4 A2's.

ReputationRep:
    I think that went quite alright actually...

I did A Streetcar Named Desire - did the part b question; Something about "Explore the uses of the "Streetcar Named Desire" in Williams' play." (that's the gist of it). A good paper.

My Edexcel Anthology had potential to go wrong - something about memory and emotion conveyed powerfully - I chose Ted Hughes' "Wuthering Heights" and Eleanor Farjeon's "Easter Monday". Couldn't think of a third one to add though, meh. My English teacher thought it was okay.

Hard Times was strange - "To understand "Hard Times" you need to understand the hard times in which the story unfolds" or something like that...
    I think that's basically asking whether the novel is a social commentary or if it goes beyond that (ie Universal themes). It was alright though.

ReputationRep:
    Well...my questions were fairly easy - didn't leave me completely confused with what to write, although I think it always is hard to tell how you did in an English essay!

Wuthering Heights question on Chapter 1 was amazing...I just hope I didn't drift too much from looking at the actual language to the dicussion of the themes the language introduces us to...with lots of AO3 marks I fear I may lose some for not enough close analysis

T.S. Eliot question on Prufrock was easy as it is really characteristic of nearly all his poems!! The problem was the passage was too long so the latter parts didn't get nearly as much mention as the (more important) first parts - hope I don't lose too many marks for this.

Finally, The Winters Tale, although nobody seems to study this on the board, it was a good whole text question (on structure) and I got plenty of critical comments and reference to it as a late play...but the passage question was horredous!! It was really hard to drag out analysis of the actual words and I ended up repeating myself alot...still I hope the two questions average me out at an A!!

Anybody else do any of these questions today?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Victorian poetry question was FANTASTIC.
    The Glass Menagerie was okay I guess, and despite the fact that the Handmaid's Tale Q was relatively easy to write about, I was so panicked that I waffled quite badly.

Did anybody else find that they were worried about how much they wrote? Yes, quality not quantity, but I was a bit uneasy about the length of my essays 'cos I usually write a lot more. I had lots of "this question is really boring. i might just stare into space for a bit" moments which is NOT good.

Ah well, it's all over now....
    only music left and then I'm all done!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing The Handmaid's Tale/Faustus/The World's Wife what q's did you do and how did you find them? What did you write about?

The Handmaid's Tale q on the theme of survival was such a godsend. I'm only worried I strayed too far off topic in some places. I ended up going on and on about how Offred survives Gilead (deconstruction of her surroundings/wordplay/physical intimacy and the fabrication of love she makes for herself) and then paniced because I dunno if that was what they were really looking for? So then I went on about Moira and how she is, for all intents and purposes, defeated by the regime, about how Atwood may be trying to make a point by this etc. etc. Forgot to put in 'Nolite te *******es carborundorum' - dammit!!!! It was even in as a point in my plan!!!

Crazy.

Did the Faustus question on scene 3, thought it was really easy tbh as I had loads of annotations to get inspiration from. The only problem with this one was the essay's structure - it got a bit haphazard as I added things in I'd not covered.

Anyway, my lit teacher always tells us that we've only got an hour so they're not expecting perfectly structured and phrased essays.

My fingers are crossed but I reckon I did okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Did the Faustus question on scene 3, thought it was really easy tbh as I had loads of annotations to get inspiration from. The only problem with this one was the essay's structure - it got a bit haphazard as I added things in I'd not covered.
    Me too, it was far better than the other question. I usually try and do the hard one but I didn't agree with it. Plus, Scene Three was a nice little short one. I have to admit, I thought the context question would be about the subplot this year, but nevermind. I'm just glad I never have to do that exam again!

(Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    I think that went quite alright actually...

I did A Streetcar Named Desire - did the part b question; Something about "Explore the uses of the "Streetcar Named Desire" in Williams' play." (that's the gist of it). A good paper.
    my aqa one wasnt that great..i did a question about streetcar has been described as a poetic tragedy..how far do you agree..

which i chose so i could shove in loads of stuff i knew from doing my theatre studies portfolio-probably the stupid choice because the other question was was easier..but thats me i always chose the stupid question...

what question did people do for wuthering heights on aqa..chaper 4 or chapter 12..i went with four- nice and simple

ReputationRep:
    i did the Blake poetry and the Miller play,

found it very easy, wrote loads - must be coz i've been practicing so many A2 papers, the AS just seemed very very easy

ReputationRep:
    i did the other streetcar question, how far is it a play about conflict between people in different social classes.....alright i spose, but i probably interpreted it wrong, i just babbled...oh and i so made up so many quotes! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So who's thinking of taking lit next year and why? I'm trying to decide...

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.