Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive done all my science revision using cgp books, (i do triple science) i know its not that good for the sep papers, but ive been told that cgp books wont get u an a star by a few people

is this true? and anyone have experiences?

thanksx

ReputationRep:
    CGP guides got me an 'A' at double science. I'm not sure how good they'd be for triple though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Ive done all my science revision using cgp books, (i do triple science) i know its not that good for the sep papers, but ive been told that cgp books wont get u an a star by a few people

thanksx
    It all depends. But I think that they can.

But you also have to be rather clever. You know have gone to all your lessons etc.

ReputationRep:
    CGP is not enough for triple science, u may need to read some of As stuff

ReputationRep:

thanksx
    i used those books to revise for separate sciences and got A*s. keep going back to the syllabus and check you're covering everything and as long as you have a good understanding you should be fine.

If you use the seperate science book (the three chem, bio and physics books only cover double science), then make sure you revise only the modules you're doing - it contains all modules taught over all boards so contains a lot of unecesary stuff. Also, it doesn't cover all the topics, so check the syllabus and make sure you use another book to revise what isn't in there.

Personally, I find the CGP books useless, but they seem to work for some people. What I would recommend is going through the syllabus point by point, making notes and checking anything you don't understand with a proper text book. The OCR text books are great for this - they give reasonably rigerous explanations, without going into so much detail that you're learning unecessary details.

ReputationRep:

thanksx
    When it came to GCSE revision, I swore by the CGP books. The syllabus-specific ones were even better. I did double science and I relied on the syllabus-specific CGP books. They were great.

If I were you I'd get hold of the syllabus and make sure you cover everything.

ReputationRep:
    I only did double science but CGP turned the entire thing into a bit of a joke really. It was just like read those regularly and oop A*A*.

ReputationRep:
    When I was doing GCSEs (back in the days before electricksity and whatnot) they only had science revision guides for double science, so for triple, you had to learn extra stuff from elsewhere. I don't know if they do special triple books now?

The most important thing is to go through it with the syllabus - if there is anything on the syllabus that you're not sure about, find it out.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.