cianbratherton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys i'm kind of freaking out. Just got accepted into Cardiff to study Politics and Sociology but I've had a few remarks and questions as to why i'm doing the degree as i'm told it's not amazing. I originally chose journalism but this course genuinely interests me, i know i should probably ignore it but i was just hoping for some actual opinions as to whether it's a good degree. I haven't studied either subject at A-Level either so i'm worried that i won't have a clue, Anyway all replies are greatly accepted, thanks a lot.
constantino_chr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's a great degree, it shows passion and thoughtfulness which are particularly important in careers in the media, public sector, education, etc.

It also opens doors to the huge, international NGO sector so there's a lot of scope for that.

Soc & Pol degree>>>Journalism

Cardiff is lovely too I hear.
sphyjms
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting sociology with politics in september, at lancaster however (my boyfriend will be at cardiff though lol small world). obviously I can't say the course will be amazing as I haven't started, but I know how you feel. sociology gets looked down upon sometimes and I guess people look at the course as less useful compared to the other academics.

something I can tell you is that your first term of uni will be full of introductory lectures - you don't have to be an expert in sociology or politics, it's all newbie stuff. if you go into the course with enthusiasm you won't find it too difficult to grapple. I mean, you must have at least a teeny bit of interest in sociology and politics right haha??

also, if you're doing a joint course it's likely you'll be able to drop half of it if you're not enjoying it. I did sociology a-level but not politics, so if I can't get my head around the political stuff I'll beg to continue with just a sociology degree. if you got onto a joint honours course I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to do a single honours instead.

if there's anything you want to know about sociology (I did a full a-level in it, not a degree, but its all the stuff you'd be taught at the beginning so I know enough) then I'm happy to go into more detail.
smartinx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am going into my final year of BSc Politics and Sociology at Brunel University and I can safely say I'm happy with my choice. Having never studied Politics at A level apart from doing History A level which covered elements of Politics.. I have done really well and looking to secure a high 2.1 overall if not a first if I actually push myself.
It's a great way to see how what the government implements and how it effects society and people and culture. With Politics, you do really have to love it and be interested as it can get very boring and monotonous at times but it's such an eye-opener into how our world works even down the sociological aspects of communications and behaviour.
I wish you every success with it, I hope you enjoy it just as much as I have!!
Prina_R
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am thinking about a sociology with social policy course or sociology and politics...what jobs can you go into to with a sociology and politics degree? Can you do finance and banking?
Dariaandahsfan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really want to study politics and sociology! Was thinking about history and sociology but changed my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prina_R
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dariaandahsfan)
I really want to study politics and sociology! Was thinking about history and sociology but changed my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What good jobs can you get from a sociology/politics degree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads