The Student Room Group

B in Chemistry AS - can I still make it into medicine?

My AS grades are AABB (Bio, Computing, Chem, Maths). I will remark maths as I am one mark away from an A and thus may actually achieve an A grade. Either way, for A2, I'll be taking two subjects in which I've achieved an A at AS and Chemistry, where I got a B. This means I will at minimum be predicted AAB for A2, right? However, medicine at the uniss I've looked at apparantly requires an AAA prediction. However, seeing as my ISA and my first chemistry paper got As (the second paper got a c and brought my grade down), would I be able to get an A prediction by begging it off the teachers a little? Also would med schools care if I did a resit of the second chem paper which got a C along with my A2s next year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Resitting a module within the 2 years is fine and all medical schools require AAA minimum, so I'd just beg the teachers for the A prediction in chemistry. In my school, they were often quite willing to predict you what you asked them to anyway!
Reply 2
Original post by brokenlevel23
My AS grades are AABB (Bio, Computing, Chem, Maths). I will remark maths as I am one mark away from an A and thus may actually achieve an A grade. Either way, for A2, I'll be taking two subjects in which I've achieved an A at AS and Chemistry, where I got a B. This means I will at minimum be predicted AAB for A2, right? However, medicine at the uniss I've looked at apparantly requires an AAA prediction. However, seeing as my ISA and my first chemistry paper got As (the second paper got a c and brought my grade down), would I be able to get an A prediction by begging it off the teachers a little? Also would med schools care if I did a resit of the second chem paper which got a C along with my A2s next year?

Some schools will predict a higher grade for A2 than you achieved at AS, some won't. You certainly should ask, and arrange to resit the module you got a C in - most universities are not fussed about module resits within the 2 year A-level period.
Reply 3
I only just scraped a B in AS Chemistry last year (got the B/C grade boundary mark.) I worked really really hard, resat every AS module and managed to get a strong A in A2 this year (30 marks above A/B grade boundary) and meet my medical school place offer. It's doable and resitting the AS helped my understanding a lot. My friend also managed to convert a D at AS to a B at A2 this year. Just do all the past papers and work harder than last year!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending