The Student Room Group

Chemistry Fast-Track A-Level?

I want to do geology and both Cambridge and UCL require an A-level in chemistry. Would it be feasible to do chemistry fast-track over a gap year?

I'd also be resitting one or two mathematics modules and doing a 3 month placement as well as some work experience.

Also, which board would be the least demanding?

Thanks
I don't recommend OCR.
They ****ed a lot of people over with the Unit 4 Exam.
I honestly think OCR A is your best bet.

Plenty of resources, lots of help, straightforward content.

If you're prepared you'll be fine. The comment above is silly, I myself sat the exam and was not affected by it. In fact it saved me!
Original post by IAmYourdog
I don't recommend OCR.
They ****ed a lot of people over with the Unit 4 Exam.

They probably didn't work as hard, I know loads of people who smashed that exam this year
Reply 4
Could I fit the whole course in one year though? A few of my friends did OCR chemistry and they said it's a biatch cos of the amount of learning.
Original post by Alweedi
Could I fit the whole course in one year though? A few of my friends did OCR chemistry and they said it's a biatch cos of the amount of learning.

Easily.

F321 is common chemical sense.
F322+F324 is just all organic, can learn in one go.
F325 will take longer, but much more mathsy
Do you think you'll do it with a correspondence course? I looked at them and they're about £500. My old 6th form will let me take any written exam for free, you may prefer to do it independently
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Easily.

F321 is common chemical sense.
F322+F324 is just all organic, can learn in one go.
F325 will take longer, but much more mathsy

So your saying all you need is the molar equations for F321?

Spoiler

Original post by HornDirndlFest
So your saying all you need is the molar equations for F321?

Spoiler

Common chemical sense... bonding and periodicity are those things. As well as moles and equations
Common chemical sense... bonding and periodicity are those things. As well as moles and equations

S'ppose :colonhash:
Reply 10
Original post by Alweedi

Yeah you can but it's tough.
I did a fast track year for Chemistry.
AS was really easy due to that but A2 was quite hard, and I felt I needed more time for it.
Some units didn't go too good like someone above mentioned, but I highly doubt you'll have that problem this year.
Reply 11

Moles isn't just common sense.
If you find Maths hard then you will struggle with that as there's lots of calculations involved.

Quick Reply

Latest